Simblesse Oblige Forum Index Simblesse Oblige
Forums for serious Simmers to share knowledge about The Sims 1

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Why I'm not buying Sims 4

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Simblesse Oblige Forum Index -> Off Topic (non-controversial)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
17mars
Owner
Owner

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 10:18 pm    Post subject: Why I'm not buying Sims 4 Reply with quote

So sad they decided to discontinue the colour wheel that debuted in Sims 3! It is so cool to be able to change the color or pattern of your furniture and wall paper. Apparently they did away with the feature in Sims 4. In Sims 3 you simply had to click on an item to change it's appearance.

For example, here's the original:

Here's a few options I played with to change appearance of the exact same wallpaper, curtain, loveseat, chair and bookcase:

Why would they not keep that? Oh well, shan't buy it.
purplewowies

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 3:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nngh, it doesn't make sense to remove something simplistic like that when apparently they've added the exciting that is clicking and dragging faces... Maybe the new game is just supposed to focus more on people?
DamonDamore

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 4:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They did away with it because the dynamic coloring on textures is basically a software nightmare and they wanted The Sims 4 to have lower requirements.

I will be doing Sims 4 if it's more like sims 2, probably. But I am currently in a wait-and-see camp.

17mars
Owner
Owner

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That seems to be what everyone is guessing - easier on the system requirements. But I really love being able to change colours and patterns without scrolling through my overstuffed catalogue for other things.

Not keen on the emotions thing either. My Sims 1 and Sims 3 sims are hard enough to control without having them get hormonal.
DamonDamore

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sims 2 experiments with emotions, but my problem in sims 3 is that they clap for a full hour over their favorite food but are stone dead when bringing a baby home from the hospital.

At least in sims 2 the overreactions were over more major life events.

And I'm assuming the re-colors will work like sims 2, alternate textures so that you can find the object and then pick a color instead of needing a catalogue full of redundant sofas. This also has the benefit that you can probably have black that does not look rubbery.

André

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, maybe I'll buy, if you do not have as many bugs as for Sims 3.
DamonDamore

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 5:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

André wrote:
Well, maybe I'll buy, if you do not have as many bugs as for Sims 3.

I don't know weather to laugh or pull you aside for a heart-to-heart...

Let's just say I'm not confident EA will suddenly not ship broken software because the budget says they need to ship on a specific date to have the money in on time.

hug

17mars
Owner
Owner

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, that is something we learned right from the start - stuff gets sent out broken in every game, Sims or otherwise, to keep them on track for a profit.
KarinL

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For me Sims 3 was my firs experience with EA, since I didn't buy Sims 2 and my Sims 1 was made by Aspyr. Now Aspyr is a bit buggy, and some things are different and difficult on a Mac when it comes to hacks and such, but nine out of ten times when my Sims 1 crashes it's because I hacked the living daylights out of it. Sims 3, on the other hand, does not crash as often as it used to because I started to use mods to repair glitches.

I think if anything, the quality of service and the quality control of games at EA has gone down in the past four or five years.
And considering it was leaked that they started Sims 4 as an on-line game and changed their minds halfway development, I'm thinking the coding might show a bit of 'cobbling' here and there from the start.
It might have fewer bugs, but I'm not holding my breath. wink

Owner
Owner

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2014 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I honestly don't think it will have fewer bugs. As you mentioned, Karin, since adding Twallan's mods like Overwatch my Sims 3 rarely has issues. But Twallan won't be there for Sims 4. Hopefully Inge (who has always been a goddess for all sims incarnations) and those who stepped up to help when Twallan retired can keep S4 going smoothly.
DamonDamore

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2014 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I talk to Inge a lot (as much as a few times a week) and I can say that she does not intend to make tools for hacking anymore, however I know for a fact she plans to stay in the community and keep a website. I don't know if she plans to make objects or hack however I think there's a good chance of it happening eventually.

Maybe if sims 4 uses a scripting language I can actually wrap my head around I might give it a shot.

DamonDamore

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Straight from Inge...

Quote:

(13:58:23) Inge: Well I didn't exactly say I wasn't ever going to make tools, what I was trying to say is, Peter and I won't be leading the race with the major package editor
(13:58:40) Inge: so people don't just sit there waiting for us to launch it at them
(13:59:02) Inge: well I might mod if ttheree is a tool to do so
(13:59:34) Damon: Well I said that you didn't have an intention of making tools but did plan to stay around I believed you would probably hack some things
(14:00:09) Inge: there won't be a Jones s4pe lets put it that way
(14:00:12) Damon: I was operating on the assumption this chat is public and it's not anything you didn't say in here
(14:00:25) Inge: but anything else is a case of waiting and seeing what we can do
(14:00:54) Inge: yeah I don't mind you quoting me, but I wanted to clarify
(14:01:17) Damon: That's fine, I can update the thread if you likeo

KarinL

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I can't say I'm surprised that they're not thinking of S4PE at the moment. They've done so much for the past three games...
I'm hoping there will be tools, but I think like with Sims 3 we'll have to wait for the community to make them. jfade's psycho

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Simblesse Oblige Forum Index -> Off Topic (non-controversial) All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: