Simblesse Oblige Forum Index Simblesse Oblige
Forums for serious Simmers to share knowledge about The Sims 1

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Removal of Maxis MM bmp's

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Simblesse Oblige Forum Index -> Theme Players
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bruja
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 1:56 pm    Post subject: Removal of Maxis MM bmp's Reply with quote

I'm wondering if there is anyone who has tried this or is willing to try it.

I stripped the Maxis body bmp's from Textures.far, and from all the EP's except MM, while I was working on method to force the game to dress every sim in theme appropriate clothing. By the time I got to MM, I was sick of copying fars then deleting all the bmp's from one of the copies.

And a lot of the MM bmp's are good enough for medieval play, so that I didn't bother.

When I was recently working on finding a method to force theme approriate buyables, I noticed that the game always uses MM meshes to dress the Stranges.

I could do the experiment myself, by removing all the MM bmp's from a copy of the EP7 far, but I'd also have to remove them from whatever Skins folder I was using in the test, and all my Skins folders are very heavy on bmp's for those meshes, since I make a lot of medieval skins. And from my testing, I know that the game will use any mesh in the MM number series, including the JWS versions, and any bmp from the Skins folder that will work on those meshes.

And after weeks of loading and populating, loading and populating, I'm sick of that kind of experimenting, and want to spend some time making theme buyable skins.

So if anyone has the time and interest to remove all bmp's for the MM body meshes from the far and from the skins folder, then populating a new hood to find out whether that will crash the game or whether the game will select different meshes for the Stranges, I'd be an appreciative person.

This is the only test that I can think of that still needs to be done before we can write up a whole set of instructions on how handle theme skins.

sandycat13

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did anything come of this. whistle
Andrasta

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

laugh

Ah well, now I'd like to know, too!

DamonDamore

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 6:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My best guess is that it would pull from your other normal skins.
bruja
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't ever carry out that specific test. As I said in the first post, the games on both the computers I had at that time had hundreds of custom skins, including mine (as well as the Maxis skins), which used the MM meshes, so the job would have taken me hours to copy all the skins folders (including those in the expansion pack folders) then eliminate all the MM mesh bmp's one at a time.

As it happens, I now have a new vanilla installation on one computer. So if I can find the time before I go away tomorrow (wilderness park, no electricity or internet), I'll strip the Maxis MM bmp's, and do the test that I was begging someone else to do. Or I'll come home and get to this when I can make the time.

And at that point, I'll finally have the information for a write up on what's required for populating a theme installation with nothing but theme-appropriate skins.

Or did I write that up, except for this bit, in a post somewhere? for a long while, years, while my husband was very ill, I didn't spend much time on simming, and my memory is more than a little spotty.

DamonDamore

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I seem to recall you were working on it and I believe you had some "nuggets" of info spread throughout threads but I don't remember seeing a proper writeup. But I also never did frequent the themed section.
bruja
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DamonDamore wrote:
I seem to recall you were working on it and I believe you had some "nuggets" of info spread throughout threads but I don't remember seeing a proper writeup. But I also never did frequent the themed section.

That sounds right to me.

I'll get to it sometime this summer, now that I have a vanilla installation I can copy to strip the MM bmp's easily.

I'll do the instructions once I know the MM answer. If it's what I expect, then it will be quick to write up.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Simblesse Oblige Forum Index -> Theme Players All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: