Simblesse Oblige Forum Index Simblesse Oblige
Forums for serious Simmers to share knowledge about The Sims 1

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Using mesh with "doubled" arms?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Simblesse Oblige Forum Index -> Skinner's Studio
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bruja
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 5:18 pm    Post subject: Using mesh with "doubled" arms? Reply with quote

It seems to me that a mesh which has been remapped so that both arms are mapped to the same area of the bmp will still be able to use all the Maxis and other skins made for it, with no problem, right? (Unless the arms are different on the skin, and in that case, the only difference is that both will look the same.)

It's been so long since I've done this routine that I thought I'd ask before I go hunt up an old computer with Milkshape installed so that I can remap arms in Lithunwrap. As a preliminary step to adding a hat (and renaming the mesh) later.

DamonDamore

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe that will work. I think there's some Maxis NPC skins which may use a similar trick.

Basically what you're looking for is extra space on the bmp which you want by telling the map to use the same space on the bmps for both arms, correct?

I believe that will look fine and work although some asymmetric affects could be "lost" from the original skins but I don't believe that would be a huge issue.

Of course your hat may look silly is it accidentally ends up with an arm on it. wink

bruja
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks. I couldn't check this out in the game, since I still haven't turned up my DD cd. But I've found an old basic game installation I made long ago, hidden under another file name, so if the missind cd doesn't turn up in the next week or so, I'll rename my DD installation to something else, put the old base game in its place and use the base game disc to check out the skins. Heigh ho, back to the days of throwing games around, willy nilly. I used to be bloody fearless at this. got to be such a sissy in my old age.

Hats aren't going to end up on an arm. Once I add one or more prop meshes, I always rename the mesh. I just haven't done this for quite a few years, and the gears were rusty. (And my shading has become worse than appalling, but it's cheering me up no end finally to have some ideas on how I want the sims in one of my worlds to look.)

socrstchik

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It works totally fine, unless you want something only on one arm, like a tattoo or insignia. All that's been done is the creator has highlighted one set of arms on the UV map, flipped them horizontally, and aligned them with the other (unaltered) set. Like you suppose, its done to give you more room on the texture, like for props. I've done it myself several times.

bruja
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

socrstchik wrote:
It works totally fine, unless you want something only on one arm, like a tattoo or insignia. All that's been done is the creator has highlighted one set of arms on the UV map, flipped them horizontally, and aligned them with the other (unaltered) set. Like you suppose, its done to give you more room on the texture, like for props. I've done it myself several times.

Thanks. I did remember. It's just that I'm coming back after a long absence. Some things i remember immediately. Others need a jump start, I've been finding.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Simblesse Oblige Forum Index -> Skinner's Studio All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: