Simblesse Oblige Forum Index Simblesse Oblige
Forums for serious Simmers to share knowledge about The Sims 1

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

A question about rendering and pixelation *SOLVED

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Simblesse Oblige Forum Index -> Object Creation and Recolor Shop
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jiyang

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2015 1:37 am    Post subject: A question about rendering and pixelation *SOLVED Reply with quote

So I just learned how to extract 3d models and textures from The Sims 2. Needless to say, I'm quite eager to make some objects for The Sims 1.

I don't have that much of a problem with rendering. I can set orthographic view, I know how to get alpha channel and z-buffer, I can rotate objects etc.
However, there it something I don't quite understand. I hope someone can explain it to me.

As far as I understand, it's necessary to turn antialiasing off. It helps to avoid yellow borders in game.
But at the same time objects without any smoothing at all tend to have very pixelated edges. I know it's somewhat unavoidable, but... things in game were made the same way and they look way better. When you put something like this in front of a regular object - you can see the difference.
So small render + antialiasing off = seems to be okay, but way too pixelated. (Btw, in this case "small" means "exactly the size that will be used in game").
Small render + antialiasing on = yellow border on the edges.
I also tried using big rendered picture and then making it smaller. Alas, making something smaller in Photoshop leads to a huge quality loss. This way everything becomes quite blurry - especially alpha-channel. Which brings yellow edges back, sadly.

So... is there anything I'm missing out?
Do you render big pictures and then somehow make them smaller without that much of a quality loss?
Do you render small pictures and then edit every single one of them by hand? If that's the case - what exactly do you do?

Thank you in advance.
Sorry if this message is hard to understand.

I also attached a screenshot with an object I'm making to illustrate the problem with pixelation. I hope that's okay. If something is wrong - I can delete it.

chair in question.png
 Description:
Black and red chair.
Render was at the exact same size. Antialiasing was off.
If you compare it with ingame objects and downloaded content - it's a bit too pixelated.
Is there a way to fix that?
 Filesize:  103.27 KB
 Viewed:  2001 Time(s)

chair in question.png

Last edited by Jiyang on Mon Jan 12, 2015 2:44 pm; edited 2 times in total
Thalia

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2015 6:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know anything about extracting 3D models to 2D, so I can't help you with that.

However, I think what you need to do is go in and blur the edges of the alpha channels which will make the edges look smoother. I'm not sure there's any way of avoiding going in and doing that by hand, if that's what you're asking.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2015 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thalia sugguested exactly what I would have.

The other thing you could try it touching up your renders by hand a little.

That's how Maxis did it, pre-rendered 3D objects. :)

Jiyang

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2015 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thalia
Oh. I see.
Yes, pretty much. For some reason I thought there's a way to avoid extra editing. I guess I was wrong.
I'll definitely try to make alpha channels better then.
Thank you smile

DamonDamore
So if I understand you correctly - Maxis did a bit of extra editing. *Sigh* Okay then. For some reason I thought they didn't.
Thank you too smile
DamonDamore

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 4:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well it's possible they didn't but I think they most likely would have had to touch at least some things up, no render will give you 100,00% perfect sprites.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Simblesse Oblige Forum Index -> Object Creation and Recolor Shop All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: