Simblesse Oblige Forum Index Simblesse Oblige
Forums for serious Simmers to share knowledge about The Sims 1

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Sources for Mid-Century America Themes?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Simblesse Oblige Forum Index -> Theme Players
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Raeven

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 12:25 am    Post subject: Sources for Mid-Century America Themes? Reply with quote

Am I just missing the thread or is there not one for the 50's (give or take a decade, I guess?).

I spotted the 20's and 30's and and the 60's but that seemed to be specifically hippie flavored, specifically.

I'm looking for Sims Levittown through Mad Men (OK I lie. Having recently installed the Sims Levittown stuff into my game for the first time, I'm really looking more for the 'retro-futristic' stylings of Electrolux so .. more of the Sims Levittown (and, again I wont lie, the Jetsons LOL) and less of the Mad Men, but it seems a shame for the rest of the 60's to not have a thread.

Thalia

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 1:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guh, Levittown is so creepy. You'll have to give all the Sim housewives there the same perfect face.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 4:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First ... I'm 100% not apologizing for choosing to play this or any other theme. I've never made a single person here feel uncomfortable about their games (not even during that Gone With the Winds / Plantation fervor) and I'm expecting the same courtesy.

Second ... ridiculous. The only people I've seen object are people who don't know anything abut the project and are just making things up. Going along with it without confirming is NEVER the best course.

The entirety of women being enslaved is that a pantry object pushes making group meals on her twice a day, once at breakfast and once at dinner time.
That is it.

Men can cook and that comment in the other thread about only men being able to get a job was straight up kleenex. That wasn't even an misunderstanding .. it was 100% made up. Nothing in the game, on the webpages, readmes or buymode description suggests anything like that.

What's more, the pantry and it's companion closet (that gets her dressed before sending her off to make breakfast) are OPTIONAL and can simply be removed from the lot/ not used/ not installed.

It is no more creepy or offensive than NPC-only object, reservable objects, the apartment hack or any of the other celebrated items we use to ensure our Sims conform to our chosen theme.

A Victorian woman can be played as Mistress of the Manor, grand and enviable, but move her up a few years to the 50's and suddenly she some mindless, feckless, idiot bending to the will of others.
If creating servants quarters isn't creepy then 2 meals a day isn't creepy.

And, frankly AS a housewife I'm rather hoping that this absurd notion that we are some sort of poor, pathetic, braindead wimp of a creature that isn't quite as valuable or strong of character as any ol' dork puling a paycheck will die out before I do. Just so I, you know, get to see it.

Raeven

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 4:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I WILL, however, take the hint that this particular thread is not desirable here and do all of my searching elsewhere.
Thalia

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am sorry to have offended you; obviously I struck a nerve I did not intend to. You do know I adore you, right? And that I am very very much a (radical, in fact) feminist, and that I understand, and can discuss in fairly intelligent detail the choices women do and do not have in a patriarchy and what kind of compromises that can mean for women just trying to live their lives, yes?

I have read some about (the) Levittown(s), though not recently. The idea of it does creep me out, maybe because I'm an artist and that kind of conformity (at the very least in the cookie-cutter houses) is antithetical to my character. Planned communities are creepy in my mind, and yes, there is something rather Stepford Wives about them, because when the houses are all the same it seems to me there is an assumption that the people living in them will be too. At least in my artist's mind.

Also, I am not familiar with any of the game objects you mention, so I obviously wasn't talking about any of them or what they make Sims do.

Again, Raeven, I adore you and have been really very happy to see you posting here at Simblesse Oblige again. But I have to say your response to what I said is way out of proportion. It sounds like you are taking something I didn't say very personally and then directing your ire at me. Please don't do that.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i am glad you apologized even though it does not seem that you changed your opinion. i am a bit offended with your 'creepy' comment too and as a househubby i find this a bit messed up too. i /like/ the levvit objects and i don't find them creepy or weird and i find it offensive that you are calling me and raeven creepy(albeit indirectly)

to ravean;
sorry dear, i don't know where you can find that stuff

Poetica

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Raeven, I'm not familiar with the Levittown style, but I remember the Jetsons so here are some of the sites I would look at if I were doing a Jetsons inspired lot:

http://www.xomtek.com/

Parsimonious has some sets that are retro cool. Even if the whole set wouldn't work, some of these pieces could play really well in a Jetsons-esque theme.
http://www.parsimonious.org/furniture1/pages/kitchen_k8_retroplasty.html
http://www.parsimonious.org/furniture1/pages/living_k8_yeah_baby.html
http://www.parsimonious.org/furniture1/pages/living_k8_raw.html
http://www.parsimonious.org/furniture1/pages/bedroom_k8_bruised_banana.html
http://www.parsimonious.org/furniture1/pages/bedroom_k8_sleek_banana.html
http://www.parsimonious.org/furniture1/pages/bath_k8_heavenly_bodiez.html

This purple bath isn't great color wise for the theme, but it would probably recolor beautifully into more subtle tones (black and grey maybe) for the theme.
http://www.parsimonious.org/furniture1/pages/bath_k8_ai_que_pregui_a.html

Same with this one. The shapes are great and a recolor/re-texture might make it fit right in with the theme.
http://www.parsimonious.org/furniture1/pages/bath_k8_sphere_of_influence_chrome.html

The speaker and TV in this set are awesome. Might need a re-texture to fit your theme but otherwise might work.
http://www.parsimonious.org/furniture1/pages/bar_k8_black_mamba.html

There might be more at Parsimonious. Kate is an amazing artist who can't seem to create a single ugly thing!

You might also want to check SIMcredible! Designs. For example, you might like the Future Amazing living room, or the TV and bookcase from the Balbi living room. The Capri bathroom might work for the theme, depending on your colors.
http://simcredibledesigns.com/index2.html

Dincer (another simply incredible creator!) has some sets and pieces that could work, including his Spaceline, Contemporary, and retro sets.
http://moonsims.asi.org/dh-sims-site/

Hopefully that will help you find something you can use. If you have any, I'd love to see some pics of the style you're looking for. Might help jog my memory (or even creativity!) :)

Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For those not familiar with Levittown's place in North American culture, here's a place to look: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Levittown,_New_York#Place_in_American_culture

For some people, then , Levittown means conformity and intolerance. For otheres - or the same people in a different mood, Levittown can represent the golden age of American post-war prosperity.

I took Thalia"s comment as humourous, not critical of anyone. Raeven and Poetica, please don't take insult where none was intended.

All theme games are probably weird to someone else. The Dark Ages were in reaiity pretty awful, but I love my medieval themes.

Poetica

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bruja wrote:
For those not familiar with Levittown's place in North American culture, here's a place to look: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Levittown,_New_York#Place_in_American_culture

For some people, then , Levittown means conformity and intolerance. For otheres - or the same people in a different mood, Levittown can represent the golden age of American post-war prosperity.

I took Thalia"s comment as humourous, not critical of anyone. Raeven and Poetica, please don't take insult where none was intended.

All theme games are probably weird to someone else. The Dark Ages were in reaiity pretty awful, but I love my medieval themes.

Huh? All I did was post some links to hopefully help Raeven out with the theme. I didn't make any comments about anything else or directed at anyone else. So I'm not sure where you got the idea that I was "offended" from.

I won't presume to speak for anyone else's feelings or intentions and, despite being inexplicably included in your message, I had nothing to do with the conversation. I would hope, however, that this forum respects that everyone is entitled to their feelings.

Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, Poetica. it was Zosa, not you that I thought was offended. and thank you for all the great links to the mid-century theme. blush
Poetica

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No problem. I do love a good theme. smile

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you, Poetica. You are an absolute star.
And, despite the relatively short attention I give you here, are the only reason I felt compelled to hit the reply button.

the rest is 'cause the window is already open

The most mind boggling thing about this is that if there was anywhere in the world where I should have been able to bring up Levittown without a backhanded joke being reaction one (subsequently supported by the board admin) you'd think it's be THIS message board. Simblesse Oblige is the ultimate suburban 'culture', for heavens' sake.

Y'know, I get (understand) that my manner and personality is not favored here and I have respected this board by not participating in idle conversation. You and anyone else who has spoken to me privately know that I have done so without malice or anger. It is what it is. You also know that I have plenty of idle conversation in me. Far (FAR) too much, in fact, if you catch me at the right (wrong?) time of day in fact. And that was before I immersed myself in dog. So why, then, do I stay out of the idle chat?

Frankly, there was no need for this to continue this thread. My last post made it perfectly clear that I considered the topic a dead one and, I would hope, made it clear that this was a mistake I'd not be repeating again. Yet here I am still being addressed by a mod being told to.. what? Do what I've already done? No. That is not good enough. I cannot simply remove myself, but also pour oil on the waters pretending I had no right or reason to speak up.

Bruja, long ago you yourself made a point to approach me and tell me that even if I am not intending to insult people it was (at least in part) my responsibility when they got insulted by me. Now, I am expected to put myself aside (again) so someone else can fling casual comments around and not care (as evidenced by the "sorry you were offended, but I'm right" BS-apology) if they bother someone.

To be honest I genuinely don't see how this is any different that someone posting a joke about the queen, others being offended even though the poster (and MANY of the rest of us) viewed it as lighthearted and 'ignorable' but him being asked to remove it for the sake of the offended. Except for the obvious difference, of course, that I'm the offended party this time.

If I posted about a pagan theme and someone responded that was creepy and I'd have to be sure every house has a baby eating room you'd have not found the joke comical. And you'd not have responded the same way at all. But none of those responses would be based on how right I am or on the strength of my reaction.

Do you see what all three paragraphs above have in common?

So, my friend, no, I will not be apologizing or suppressing my reactions based on whether you find the joke insulting enough or not.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Simblesse Oblige Forum Index -> Theme Players All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: