Simblesse Oblige Forum Index Simblesse Oblige
Forums for serious Simmers to share knowledge about The Sims 1

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Sims' Work Outfits

View previous topic :: View next topic  
XANA

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2016 7:12 pm    Post subject: The Sims' Work Outfits Reply with quote

Hello Everyone,

Is there a place (website, etc.) where one can view all the possible work outfits for all careers?

I see them so infrequently (and changing job levels isn't as easy as changing career tracks) that I still have not seen all the possible options for Sims' work outfits.

I wanted to know if each career track has multiple outfits, and if so, what is the easiest way to see them all. They look so good on my sims (especially the female work outfits)!

Unfortunately, the Sims Wiki has a list and description of all careers but no images of the outfits used. :(

Finally, did anyone ever develop a method to add custom work outfits?

I noticed that pretty much every Sims skins site has a wealth of options for all the common types, but not once have I ever come across custom work outfits.

Sorry if this isn't the correct sub-forum to post this topic in. I really wanted to ask these couple questions, even if they might have an easy answer.

Thanks!
bluesage

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2016 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some are here: smile

http://doctor_frankensim.tripod.com/sanctum/skinz/drskins0.html#Skin Page 6
'
zosa

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2016 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if it helps, i have made custom work outfits for a custom carreer and turned off work outfits for another and i have found that anything other than a reskin on a maxis mesh can screw up the game so i am thinking it may just be that the current outfits for the standard jobs are just easier than tweaking everything around custom skins that may or may not even work properly
XANA

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2016 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wondered why that, in all this time, I had never ever come across additional work outfits as opposed to additional normal outfits (which are everywhere).

I imagine it isn't nearly as robust to create new work outfits since the game never intended for that customization to be possible (same as with the impossibility of creating new careers without overwriting others).

I looked at the outfits listed as used in Career Creator 3 and they apparently are tied-to variables (relating to the two genders & ten levels with the usage of an $ in the file name) which probably means that the outfits are different for each gender as well as each level.

Unlike the normal custom skins, which have a 'simple' naming scheme that can easily be renamed, I imagine work outfits wouldn't really be possible to rename or relabel.

It seems that website I was provided a link for one post above is half-dead. All the images are gone, except for the skins thankfully, and all the downloads are gone too.
purplewowies

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2016 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Work skins are viewable in one or two of the FAR files; the base game would be found in the Textures far in the textures folder and I'd be will to bet the others are in Expansion folders/far files. You can view these using FAR Out, but they wouldn't be applied to a body unless you extracted them--at which point, you'd also need their meshes in order to rename, and while some of those are obvious, others are decidedly less so (and aren't in the textures file. and I don't know where to look for them). EDIT: I *think* basegame career meshes are in the Animation far.
Thalia

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2016 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, that's interesting, I was just wondering about recolors for the work skins, since I just started playing a blue-skinned alien character who's decided to be a scientist. But when she went off to work of course her legs and arms reverted to the usual dark skin tone so I wondered.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2016 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is the skin color a custom color? (Is it possible to make colors that use different qualifiers than lgt, med, drk and have it work? jfade's psycho ) If so, you could look for the skin's syntax in career creator and create an appropriately colored skin and place it in the folder the game expects to find the standard-colored skins in.

...But considering I normally see wild-color skins marked as an existing skintone (like pale for white), maybe that wouldn't work... I was just thinking along the same lines as custom body types. XP

If custom colors aren't a possibility perhaps you could substitute a custom body type the same way so that the alien uses skins with body type... say... ali or something. Then maybe working with Career Creator's variables would be a possibility. (The bottom tier science outfit's bmp is Science[Gender][Skin color]_01, i.e. ScienceFMed_01. Meshes are similar but instead Science[Gender][Bod]_01.)
DamonDamore

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2016 1:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In general custom skin colors do not show up in Create-A-Sim but a custom body type would. Depending on your needs you could do either.

The game will work with a custom skin color but you will need to change the bodystrings yourself.

Thalia

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2016 1:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm on a Mac, so don't have access to Career Creator (that I am aware of). I just called the alien skins 'drk'; I'm under the impression you can't have other qualifiers but I don't really know, and I don't know a whole lot about other body types (I assume you mean e.g. Rubensesque).

I found the scientist bmp in textures but I have a feeling even if I were to make an appropriately colored blue skin I think the hands would still default to the usual brown. I assume it just uses the game's basic hand bmps. Also it looks like the bmps for the job outfits don't come in skinny, fit, and fat; does the game just put the same texture map over the different body size meshes? It doesn't seem to do that with much else that I can see. When it needs all the variations it generally has nine per sex.

Anyway, I was just wondering, but now I'm curious what it would take to make it work.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Simblesse Oblige Forum Index -> General All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: