Simblesse Oblige Forum Index Simblesse Oblige
Forums for serious Simmers to share knowledge about The Sims 1

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Converting Vacation Lots to Neighbourhood

View previous topic :: View next topic  
shannon52

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 10:05 pm    Post subject: Converting Vacation Lots to Neighbourhood Reply with quote

You can tell I am desparate for stimulation in all things SIm when I start cruising around TSR!!!

Anyway, I have found some awesome beach builds I would like in my game but quite a lot of them are Vacation lots. I dont build anywhere else except the Neighbourhood screen SOOO what are my chances of simply renaming the Vacation lot to say, Lot 8 and putting it in there?

The worst that could happen is that it would crash my game: the VERY worst is even after I overwrite etc it STILL crashes my game cos I have wrecked it permanently.

I am almost sure I put a Stephanie B house into my game that was not originally for the neighbourhood, I remember being very alarmed at seeing the Downtown mailbox appearing but nothing bad ever happened to that house and I was able to use it quite happily. Maybe I was lucky.

I could of course put them into the correct neighbourhood but I have never tried to put downloaded builds into anything but The Neighbourhood screen and sometimes that can be a bit hit and miss, nearly always solved by taking out ALL CC content and then saving. I have this nightmare about going on Vacation and then not being able to get back into the screen I want. I would only do this to count and copy the build, then redo it by hand in the place I want it to be

I read so much of other people having major crashes and having to reinstall that I am really reluctant to take any risks. Guess I just want a pat on the head and reassurance!! And wanting to know other peoples experiences.

DamonDamore

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can kinda-sorta make this work (ish).

Zone the lot commercial before you rename the lot file.
Rename the lot to the one you just zoned and want to replace.

When you load the lot objects may vanish (if not, they will when a sim visits). This is because they are designed only for use on Vacation lots.

Even if vacation objects stay it does not necessarily mean they will work. I recommend deleting them from the lot.

Also you will lose the sand because of how the game works with terrain.

You will, however, have the building and most of the furnishings should stay put and work.

NOTE: If you intend to use this beach lot as a private home you don't need to re-zone. Just make sure the lot is zoned how you want before you re-name your files.

shannon52

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 4:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So are the Vacation lots zoned Commercial or Residential? I rezone all my Neighbourhood Lots to Residential anyway. Therefore I just change the lot number to whatever I want, or whichever Neighbourhood lots fits the Vacation one I want?
bluesage

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 5:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Change any lot to another with Hedda`s Lot Hacks: smile

http://www.somesimthings.com/Obj/02Obj.htm
'
shannon52

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, Bluesage, that did sound a helpful Hack but I dont see it on any of the pages around thelink you gave me.
bluesage

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sh!
Portal Replacement. wink
bluesage

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here`s an exercise I did for my Sims. wink

If you look to the lower right of the photo, smile

you`ll see a Vacation lot, a Downtown lot, surprise

an Oldtown lot and a Studio Lot, laugh

all converted to Neighborhood use. biggrin
shannon52

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2016 3:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doh, I see. I also read the instructions and it sounds far too scarey and complicated (but v. cool what you did!) Might not dabble in the Black Arts of Replacement Portals just now. I saved them in my Hacks folder, for when I am braver!!
Raeven

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2016 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They do sound scary. But it's actually pretty straight forward once you get past the cryptic instructions.

I have not done any vacation lots but I ahve moved a few other things around (moved a park from downtown to old town. Made a Bunny Wuffles lot into a DT Turkish bath .. oh actually I think I DID make one of her lots a vacation lot too. )

As Damion said you'll lose the beachy terrain (unless you put it downtown on those beachy lots but then..no kids or pets) and some items might end up disappearing when you go into live mode or become disabled. Another consideration is your neighborhood screen wont look great. Vacation lots are MASSIVE and the neighborhood map isn't drawn for that. (IN the lot there wont be anything amiss, though)

Here's how Hedda's stuff works...

Every lot has portals. They are how people and carpools and cab arrive and leave. They are invisible to us.

Every lot type (Vacation, Downtown, MT, etc) has different cabs, as you know. So they each have their own unique portal to control their particular cab.

Your vacation lot has the portal for the vacation cab and not the one for the Old Town trolley on it. Sadly switching lot numbers does not automatically update that for you. So Hedda made a way for you to do it manually.

Problem 1 - portals are invisible so you can't do anything manually!
The tables Blue Sage shows in his picture fix that. S is doe "Show"; H is for "Hide". These table are in your buymode. You pretend you are buying them (click and move the table toward your lot) and POOF the portals throughout the lot will be come invisible/hidden or visible/shown, depending on the table you "bought". You don't even need to actually place it on the lot, if you don't want to for some reason.

Now with them showing you can delete the ones you do not want (Vacation car portals) using Move_objects (cause they are all going to be out of bounds in the street)

Problem two - being able to place the correct portals
ALSO included in hedda's files are buyable portals. Follow her instructions for installing those in their proper folders. It is all very logical - The DT one going into the DT expansion folder, for example.

Problem 2b- proper portal placement
The main issue I ran into was portal placement. Sometimes my car would end up over the white line or people would not appear n the sidewalk where I wanted them to so that took a little bit of jiggering. I also learned that I need to pay attention to which way is the FRONT of the portal -the graphics does not tell you so you give a little tug toward the direction front should be the same way.

Problem 3 - how do sims get home again??
ALSO REQUIRED - buyable phones.This s not included in Hedda's portal back (not being portals and all).
I made my own but I am pretty sure Simsky has a set (one of the simcrafter's sites over at /simcrafters.parsimonious.org/

If you are worried about ruining your game (or even if you are not!) you can make a backup of your neighborhood first. I usually right-click on that suck and save to a compressed blabbity thing and zip it up into a backup zip. Then, if anything goes wrong, you just delete the mistake, unzip your backup and ... try again. After all, why not? You have a perfectly preserved copy in your zip file.

I have not had anything horrible happen.
I don't tend to remove hedda's buyable portals or the H/S tables because.. well I'm lazy. But also because I never use hacked portals in the first place. if you do use hacked portals from anywhere make sure to remove them when you place Hedda's in and to Hedda's files, replacing your hacked portals before playing again. They wont work nicely together, even though both can be great separately.

bluesage

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2016 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tyvmR!

These lots are inhabited, fully working, prob by Anime girls. laugh
'
shannon52

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thankyou for the info RaEven: copying and pasting now for future reference!

My other question is: seeing as I dont play, only decorate, so only want the lot cos it looks interesting and I would love to redecorate it, do I need all these portals etc? There will be no Sims wanting to go anywhere on my lots, other than fakes, who stand there looking pretty or busy or whatever you want them to do , and cause no hassles!

Do you need the portals to make the lot behave whatever you do with it??

Raeven

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2016 4:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thumbsup Bluesage

Probably not, Shannon, if you never enter live mode.
(I don't quite understand why you'd need to move it at all for just decorating, though.)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Simblesse Oblige Forum Index -> General All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: