Simblesse Oblige Forum Index Simblesse Oblige
Forums for serious Simmers to share knowledge about The Sims 1

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Magic Maid Dorota - Return to Spawner Function

View previous topic :: View next topic  
XANA

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 12:59 pm    Post subject: Magic Maid Dorota - Return to Spawner Function Reply with quote

Hello Everyone,

I just thought that I could provide some interesting feedback about the SSoW (and others) magic maid, Dorota!

It works wonderfully bug-free on all my lots that I've been using her at, but to get the full benefits from her services I had to make one simple tweak.

The Return to Spawner BHAV function was set to #45 [Go to Routing Slot], however it takes so much time to complete, especially on extra-large lots like House11 and House00!
(I think those are the full-size lots not normally available in-game.)

Changing that one line to #4220 [Magic - Teleport to Stack Object] is the solution!
Now, Dorota teleports to her spawner sometimes when done with a task instead of walking there. smile

On large lots, having Dorota go through the task of walking back to her spawning object means that's less time spent on more creative pursuits! She could be finishing up her grand masterpiece, but instead it gathers dust while she walks back to her sink. sad

She's a magic user and therefore should use magic whenever possible - just like she does when teleporting to a job (cleaning, repairing, etc.).

I used IFFPencil to make the change. Oh man, what a world of difference that tiny change makes for Dorota's work flow. thumbsup

I just thought I'd offer that little bit of information in case someone wants it! I know I didn't make this NPC, but perhaps this might help in some cases.

Last edited by XANA on Tue Jun 07, 2016 9:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
Raeven

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never understand why people assume that anything that doesn't match their personal preference was an oversight laugh

It is entirely possible that the specific reason why Dorata walks instead of teleports is mentioned somewhere in the 17 page thread of us working on her, but it probably boils down to it feeling a bit naff (to me. Scilla wasn't fussed either way.) to have her poof to the sink and then away again immediately, especially if she did it from a short distance (like she originally did).

If you are fine with her teleporting back to her spawner even when she's only 3 steps away from it then using the global BHAV will do. Otherwise you might prefer using the local BHAV (4220) that I created specifically to allow her to judge a distance before deciding whether to walk or teleport.

If, on the other hand, you feel she should leave off the walking altogether you probably want to go through and change all of the local calls to 4220 to the global call. You also want to make sure your parameters are correct when you do said global call otherwise her popping around may add to the magic casting count for the lot (and incur the wrath of the magic man, assuming he can catch her)

XANA

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey thanks, Raeven! I didn't see #4220 when I was making that change, but I went ahead and updated the BHAV to use the one you suggested. It's more natural that way.

Sorry about coming off like that when I said that 'I wasn't sure why that change wasn't there already'. blush
I hope you'll forgive me eventually, since you put all that work into Dorota.

I admit I didn't finish the many-pages thread on her as of now, but it is really a lot of knowledge in there I didn't know yet.

I haven't really done any tweaking except to fix game-breaking bugs in one of the beta butler NPCs I downloaded, so I admit that I haven't learned too much about all this works with more powerful NPCs like Dorota.

Luckily, it's summer so I can have this kind of time to do so.
Raeven

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No worries! I wasn't being snarky or anything, I genuinely meant 'I don't understand' it. My own automatic/default though when something is made differently than I would make it is that the creator has different preferences. but over he years I've learned that it is uncommon for others. Still mystifies me a little, though LOL

One of the more interesting things about Dorota was becoming more familiar with magic. It's fun and under utilized. I'm glad someone is playing around with it!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Simblesse Oblige Forum Index -> General All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: