Simblesse Oblige Forum Index Simblesse Oblige
Forums for serious Simmers to share knowledge about The Sims 1

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How Do I Make Counter Corners?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Simblesse Oblige Forum Index -> Object Creation and Recolor Shop
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mary Martha

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 10:05 pm    Post subject: How Do I Make Counter Corners? Reply with quote

I have some counters that don't have the corner piece,so I'm trying to make them. I have the 'look' right,but not the size.
DamonDamore

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe use an existing one for reference?

If you're trying to line up with someone else's existing counter it could just be trial-and-error.

Madoria

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always use the closest sized maxis counter for reference in size when I make a corner for a counter.
Raeven

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is the counter is a traditional rectangle counter shape and you are trying to match it perfectly?

Yep, agreed, use the existing one.
Not only will you have the correct sizes it'll ensure you have matching lighting. Take the two front views of the counter and then do a vertical cut down the center of the top layer. Position them to line up together and you have your corner size and shape and lighting. You can change the shape some, but leave the two sides that'll touch the straight counter pieces alone

You can repeat this with the counter's As and Zs

Same again for the back and side views.

OR is the counter made to look like a standalone piece of furniture and you are making another stand alone piece of furniture to sit near it?

In this case the counter's top surface should be 64 pixels from the floor.
Bunny Wuffles' tutorial kits have some measuring & positioning tools that may help (they might not be labelled that way but I remember using them that way)
http://bwsost.woobsha.com/
and there was a thread somewhere here at SO with some helpful tools as well

Poetica

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like others suggested, I also usually use an existing counter for reference. As long as you don't venture too far from the original's size and shape that usually does the trick.

Another method I sometimes use is to take a screen shot of the counters placed in the game with an open spot for the corner. In a graphic editing program, I paste copies of the counter (from the Ps) onto that image and position them directly over the two on either side. That allows me to work on creating the corner piece while seeing what it looks like with the counters on either side as it will be in the game, making it far easier to get the correct size. (Obviously, that would need to be repeated for all rotations, though you can often reuse the side angles.)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Simblesse Oblige Forum Index -> Object Creation and Recolor Shop All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: