Simblesse Oblige Forum Index Simblesse Oblige
Forums for serious Simmers to share knowledge about The Sims 1

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

"Put on water"doesn't work/upper sprites vanish

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Simblesse Oblige Forum Index -> Hacker's Hideout
View previous topic :: View next topic  
zockoyka

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2016 11:06 pm    Post subject: "Put on water"doesn't work/upper sprites vanish Reply with quote

Hello Everybody

I would appreciate any suggestion.

I am making a shape of a 2 story tower. Base - Maxis (rug - Castle1 2x3). The shape is partially finished, 4 sprites so far because I got stuck:

I want 3 sprites to sit on the 1st floor, next 3 sprites - level up. I raised 2 sprites up with TMog (Y) to make them sit on the 2nd floor.
1st floor graphics is displayed properly in game. 2nd floor graphic isn't- means - it vanishes, blinks....

The 2nd floor sprites are visible while being put out from the game cataloque ONLY. Later they disappeare. So I hover the mouse over the lot and around the building and the upper sprites come back for a short while and vanish again in a moment and don't come back. mad mad mad The problem occurs in 3 game zooms, in built mode, in live mode.... The upper sprites don't come back without hovering the mouse. It looks ugly and it is really annoying.

I tried with tree (treesspellbound, autumn) - and THE SAME. The upper part of the building apparently doesn't want to be visible.

Well.... I made a new .iff but this time I changed the Z-Offset in the DRGPs (15) and no results - graphics vanishes still.

2. The "allow on water" code doesn't work with my rug.

I really would like the building can be put on water.
I added a line inside of 4101 BHAV "init common" (this BHAV contains "glob") and edited other lines as below - no results. The rug doesn't want to sit on water (Sculptures and trees work ok for me).

mdamlady

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2016 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never tried to make a 2nd floor and a 3rd floor rug based object all inclusive!!

My thoughts would be that the game engine is confused!!

To get around that; I would make 2 separate objects (I know more work)!!

About the rug not going on water - I'd actually have to go into that particular rug and see what's not allowing it to go on water.

I've changed several rugs to go on water, but because this particular rug may not have the globals and info that later rugs seems to have (only guessing here).

Let me take a look at that rug and see whats up!! "I'll be back"!!

DAM Sim 1 Objects 2

DAM Sims 1 Objects 3

DAM Sims 1 Objects 4
zockoyka

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2016 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

giveflower
Thank you so much for you answer.

I am sending you that rug via PM.

What would be best to use as a base? I have never tried to make 2nd story stuff with separate objects. Should I add new tiles or just to make two .iffs and set DGRP 15 in iffPencil?
mdamlady

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2016 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, there's a ton of unnecessary junk in the Schwa Carpet that may be preventing "it" from going on water - namely it has the "Teleport" Feature built in!!

No worries as I have a 2x3 rug base that is water and pool enable; that floats in air (no floor tile needed); and that is intersectable - all ready and waiting for you.

I'm a bit confused as to the purpose of the tower if there are no first floor walls to support it? Maxis Walls won't go over Maxis Water - no matter what - you'd have to change the globals - Not something I'd even attempt to do!!

But good news - here's a base that will work on water:

2nd floor objects don't need anything special done to them, but yes 3rd floor objects are either moved in T-mog or Iff Pencil 2 (your preference)!!

I'll take a look at your tower and advise!!

Dam_2x3_Rug_Base0001.png
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  Dam_2x3_Rug_Base0001.png
 Filesize:  345.65 KB
 Downloaded:  132 Time(s)

dam_base_rug_2x3_018663.rar
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  dam_base_rug_2x3_018663.rar
 Filesize:  356.01 KB
 Downloaded:  89 Time(s)

DAM Sim 1 Objects 2

DAM Sims 1 Objects 3

DAM Sims 1 Objects 4
zockoyka

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2016 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you, I love that rug!
I just wanted a building standing as a decoration in a middle of a lake, something like that.
I thought it would be enough to 1). raise half of sprites in TMog or 2).to give them 15 in DGRP properties. The Z buffer would be raised up and it should work without adding new tiles - adding 2nd floor tiles is too difficult for me, I am pretty sure.... I tried both methods and thumbsdown
mdamlady

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2016 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, now I see!!

Decoration for a lake or pond!!

Send me the original object (anything other than the red tower) and I'll see if I can make your dream come true!!

DAM Sim 1 Objects 2

DAM Sims 1 Objects 3

DAM Sims 1 Objects 4
zockoyka

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It means that I should make an object that "floats in air" (2nd floor) and then merge it with 1floor object? Is it necessary to add new tiles to the 1st floor iff first? How can it be done step by step? I tried to avoid it and that's why I tried "illusion" method (raising graphic in TMog or setting Z buffer offset 15 / 16 in IffPencil) - BUT 2nd floor graphics started vanishing in game.
mdamlady

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not exactly - the term "Floats in air" really only means that the object doesn't require any floor tiles underneath it!!

Think of it as making part (or all) of the object sit on the second floor and the upper story (3rd flr); be a separate object that would sit on top of the 2nd floor object.

Think of it as a high rise building - each floor as a separate object using the same base (rug) to make each section.

DAM Sim 1 Objects 2

DAM Sims 1 Objects 3

DAM Sims 1 Objects 4
Raeven

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Intriguing.
Did you get it working properly?
I am not sure why offsetting the DRG didn't work out for you. That is what I did with the two story trees for Aunt B and what I suggested for Jota's 2 story lighthouse (which was available from the coconut hut.)

Sometimes oversized sprites have issues rendering so maybe each section actually needs to be a bit smaller/shorter. You can try breaking the upper floor into 2 sprites per tile.

A quick way to find out if this is the problem is to work on the object using the rug graphics only. Adjust the Z offset for the relevant tiles and see if the rug's graphics flicker or disappear on you. If not then perhaps your sprites need to be cut up differently.

Quote:
Not exactly - the term "Floats in air" really only means that the object doesn't require any floor tiles underneath it!!
True, but items on the first floor don't tend to require that line since the basic makeup of an object is to need floor or terrain. So Float in Air winds up only really applying to second story objects.

Quote:
Think of it as making part (or all) of the object sit on the second floor and the upper story (3rd flr); be a separate object that would sit on top of the 2nd floor object.

A lot of your work is great mix-n-match stuff so keeping it all completely separate objects is fantastic, but for some objects that'll never be mixed or matched there is actually there's no *need* to split them into 2 objects. A single object can span 2 levels. The maxis teleporter, elevators, and stairs all do so.

See "Level Offset" in the OBJD

iffpencil wrote:
Level offset

If set to 1, the object is part of a multi-tile object that extends two floors, of which this object occupies the second floor.

If all subtiles of a multi-tile object are set to 0, the object is single-floor and can be placed on both floors. If even one of them is 1, the object is double-floor and can be placed only on the first floor. Example: stairs.

Using the technique of offsetting some of the graphics vertically has the benefit of allowing the whole object to be placed upon a second floor and appear to continue up through a third floor.

Rather then spread the tiles next to each other, like the schwa rug, I like to pile my tiles on top of each other.

For example, Aunt B's Tropical 2-story trees include at least one "one tile" tree that is 2 stories high. But it isn't really a single tile object, it is multi tile. Both object-tiles simply sit upon the same floor tile. One has it's graphic at the bottom (just trunk), the other (more trunk + leaves) has its graphic offset vertically by 1 story height (well, almost 1 story. Hmm there's an thought. Maybe you need to put in a number that is LOWER than 15 into the Z offset. try 14.). The player can just buy it as one object and place it the same way he would a true single tile object.

mdamlady

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think she just gave up!!

I've used the offset in Iff Pencil 2 at least Hundreds of times and it works great - BTW - thank you for the instructions.

I've never come across an item that only needed part of the DRG to be offset and the others regular, but it's interesting!!

I believe that she wanted to make a building that floated on the water(not in the water), but also had a second story - I think - unless I've misunderstood totally!!

I'm trying to wrap my pea brain around your suggestion - maybe some day it will.

DAM Sim 1 Objects 2

DAM Sims 1 Objects 3

DAM Sims 1 Objects 4
Raeven

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2016 4:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep you understood, I think.
She didn't want it floating over the water (as if there is space) but more a decorative object that you could place out in a lake (as if there is an island out there that it must be on) - like Jota's 2-story light house:
http://simblesseoblige.com/viewtopic.php?p=2024#2024

I'm not sure which part of what I said is confusing (I touched on a few things) - was it the doubling up of the tiles?

If so, I'll use the schwa rug as an example (using the first view when you open T-mog for this example)

Imagine taking
Rug -Retro - H,
Rug -Retro - E, &
Rug -Retro - G,
and sliding them over so they cover
Rug -Retro - I,
Rug -Retro - B,
Rug -Retro - D,

There's still 6 rug sections but the object would betake up 1x3 tiles on the floor instead of 2x3 floor tiles.
Each of the 6 rug sections still has it's own graphic, none share DRGPs with another tile. It just happens that when you examine their OBJDS you'll see that
two of the tiles (I and H) are now sub index 0 ,
two are now sub index 257,
and the remaining two are now subindex 513

They can share tiles like that because they are rug sections and coded to share tiles.

If you then entered "14" into the Z offset for tiles H, E, and G you'd have an object that had half of the rug on the floor (I, B, D) and the other half (H,E,G) floating directly above it, around the same height as the second floor. TECHNICALLY the hole thing is on the first floor. It is just an illusion that there are some tiles sitting on the second floor.

Things like stairs and elevators REALLY put their upper story tiles on the second floor, though using "Level Offset"

The I think the only reason for using separate tiles for the upper and lower graphics was because they needed to be coded differently. I think most of the time you could have multiple sprites listed in a single DRGP and offset one of the sprites as you mentioned.

DamonDamore

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2016 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stairs and elevators make use of tiles at the top and the player needs something to click. Also it's nicer to render things that way if you don't want to see the top while on the bottom floor... though for a large outdoor object you would.

The HD fountain for DT reserves a tile above the clock, I believe, on the second floor while all the sprites and so on are on the first floor. But that sprite is not also (really) oversized. I think what happened is two separate problems seemed more intertwined to the user than they actually were to the software.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Simblesse Oblige Forum Index -> Hacker's Hideout All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: