Simblesse Oblige Forum Index Simblesse Oblige
Forums for serious Simmers to share knowledge about The Sims 1

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Debugging Downtown (DTController & Bar NPCs)

View previous topic :: View next topic  
XANA

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 6:48 pm    Post subject: Debugging Downtown (DTController & Bar NPCs) Reply with quote

Hello Everyone,

Did anybody ever figure out the problems with the DTController and hence develop fixes (or point me in the direction to make my own fixes for it)?

I have some pretty strange issues with it, which are:

1) When staying Downtown for a couple days (2 & 1/2 or more), the bartenders get glitchy.
- Specifically, they no longer stand at their post awaiting orders and start walking around the restaurant.
- They can still take orders, but they do it from their new position away from the bar area before walking back to their usual spot to actually fulfill it.

2) Sometimes (like a couple in-game hours in Downtown), the wait staff bugs out and stops working. They appear frozen, not even making idle gestures or head movements.
- When this happens, they just stand there stock still. Nothing can bring them out of this state (as nothing is in their queue when controlled by a Simlogical controller) and they are not being blocked by anything.
- They tend to freeze up in the kitchen or next to the podium. It's never happened while they were en route to an order, only once they start idling.
- The kitchen is in a different room than the actual seating area, which may play a part in this.

3) When there are multiple chefs, they seem to choose a random stove even if that stove is already in-use by another chef.
- Are stoves even marked as in-use when during operation?
- If yes, is it possible to introduce code that checks for in-use stoves before choosing one to work on?
- If no, is it possible to increase the wait time so that the chef can avoid failure to cook on a stove?

When I use the restaurant services podiums in other locations (including at home/community lots), they never have this problem. It's solely Downtown. wink

Did anyone ever see these issues except for me, and is there a solution?
Thanks for all your help! smile
DamonDamore

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow lots of stuff here. Here's my thoughts on it.

EA seems to have strings that indicate that downtown was meant to "close" at 2AM and the sim was meant to be sent home. My best guess is that this is to prevent the quirks of the NPCs if you're on one lot for too long. Though in practice I don't think most players spent that much time on a single downtown lot.

1. Probably an issue with them come de-sync'd from the bar itself OR the wander away while idling and fail to route back to the object enough times that the game just says forget it.

2. Probably a sync issue with the restaurant podium. Or they get stuck waiting for another object (such as the podium or chef NPC) to be in the right state to continue. I've had this a few times and I'm not sure what causes it.

3. This is a bug that ships in the game. I popped open the chef NPCs and they always use the nearest stove. It does not look like anything sets it in use but on the plus side it never checks to see if it is in-use either.

XANA

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I saw those strings too. I wonder if that was before one of the expansions came out (like House Party enabling sims to have parties end later than 11pm).

I know they're just strings now, but I've never seen a video or anything that actually shows Downtown 'closing' at 2am. I wonder if they just couldn't get it to work right or wanted sims to be able to have night-time dates.

1. If it is a sync issue, I don't think it could be fixed through code.

I looked at the NPCs' code and set up debug_objects and didn't catch anything related to the bartenders.

They still work once they walk back to the bar space. Plus, you can fence them in to stop it altogether.

2. The waiter/waitresses are more difficult to solve because they need to be moving to do their jobs. sad

I looked at a Downtown lot and when the waiters and fancy podium manager eventually stopped working after a day there, no errors came up at all.

They do exactly the same thing if you spawn them on a lot they aren't supposed to be on. Strange that it is happening at Downtown, though.

3. I was talking about the Chef NPC code in the DTController, which has BHAVs for getting food from the fridge and preparing it. The Chef NPCs themselves don't seem to do anything otherwise.

Edit @ 12/16/2016, it is possible to have the chefs check for in-use stoves by using lockout values. The picture shows which line is wrong by default in BHAV 4125 (prepare food) on the DTController.

It also shows what it should call in order to have chefs skip stoves being used by other chefs.

Thanks for looking to this, DamonDamore! smile
francot514

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2016 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes i have also seen some of your issues in game, was able to fix some of those by using resident lot as downtown lot, you will need to change lot zoning for that, or modify objects to be bought in residential lots, seems main problems comes from controller..
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Simblesse Oblige Forum Index -> General All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: