Simblesse Oblige Forum Index Simblesse Oblige
Forums for serious Simmers to share knowledge about The Sims 1

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

TUTORIAL: Beginner Object Making with Gimp
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Simblesse Oblige Forum Index -> Object Creation and Recolor Shop
View previous topic :: View next topic  
annettebrks

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 4:59 am    Post subject: About Layers Reply with quote

Click Edit / Paste. Look over at the layers on your Toolbox window. Something new has appeared - 'Floating Selection (Pasted Layer)'.

Note - if you didn't change the window layout as I described earlier, yours will look different, and the Layers dialog will be elsewhere.

On the bottom of your Toolbox window, click the icon shaped like an anchor. That anchors it down so we can get on with things. The 'floating selection' disappears and our selection is nicely pasted onto that layer.

EXTRA INFO - While there's a 'Floating Selection' in our Layers dialog, we can work on that selection with paint and other tools. But until it's been anchored down onto its own layer, we can -only- work on that selection. We can't do things like switch to other layers to work on them.

We're also going to need a layer for just the cushion. So click on Layer / Duplicate. That makes a new layer that's an identical copy of whatever layer was selected at the time.

Extra Info - If you've never used layers in a graphics program before, you're in for a real treat! Remember tracing paper? It's somewhat transparent - you place that over what you want to trace, and you can see the top layer that you're drawing on, and also the layer beneath it. That's how layers work in graphics programs, too, but with a lot of extra benefits that you can't get with tracing paper!

Now let's take a look at what we have. Over on that main tool box, look at the bottom half. Underneath all those tool icons, roughly in the middle, there are three tabs, one for each of your 'dialogs'. Hover over those tabs and it'll tell you what they are. One tab is for Tool Options, one is for Layers, and another is for the Undo History.

Click on your Layers tab to make sure it's selected. Underneath that is a big white area where all your layers are listed. The bottom one is always the Background layer. You should also have a Frame layer and a Frame Copy layer (our duplicate).

The one that's highlighted is your 'working layer' and anything you do to your image will appear on only that layer. So always make sure you have the right layer selected before you start.

31-gimp-showlayers.png
 Description:
If you changed Gimp's default window layout the way I explained earlier, this is what your Layers dialog on the Toolbox will look like.
 Filesize:  3.57 KB
 Viewed:  7633 Time(s)

31-gimp-showlayers.png

Last edited by annettebrks on Sat Oct 07, 2006 11:36 pm; edited 15 times in total
annettebrks

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 5:05 am    Post subject: Erasing the Frame and Leaving the Cushion Reply with quote

Let's rename that duplicate and call it the the Cushion layer.

Click on that duplicate layer to highlight it.
Now right-click on it and choose Edit Layer Attributes.
Rename that layer to Cushion and click Okay.

What we're going to do next is erase everything except the cushion from that Cushion layer. But since our layers are see-through, it's going to get awfully confusing, because while we're erasing on one layer, the frame is still going to be showing on another layer and we won't be able to see what we're doing. So we'll just make the extra ones invisible for now.

Over on your Layers tab on that main tool box, you'll see that there's a little eyeball beside each layer. That eyeball means it's visible - you can see it.

So we're going to close the eyeballs by clicking on them on our Background and Frame layers. When you're done, the only eyeball still showing should be the one by the Cushion layer. Make sure the Cushion layer is highlighted.

Click on the Eraser tool up above (shaped like, you guessed it, an eraser).

Now, go back down below and click on the Tool Options tab. Make sure the 'Hard Edge' option is checked and the 'Fade Out' option isn't. Otherwise, it will leave semi-transparent pixels behind.

There's also a place in there where you can choose the size of your eraser. A big one is great for erasing large areas, but when you get into all those nooks and crannies, you'll need to make it smaller.

Go ahead and erase everything but the cushion. Making the image bigger can make it easier to work on. To do that, go to the top of the image window and click View / Zoom.

34-gimp-cushionlayer.jpg
 Description:
The Cushion layer with everything erased BUT the cushion
 Filesize:  5.72 KB
 Viewed:  7632 Time(s)

34-gimp-cushionlayer.jpg

Last edited by annettebrks on Fri Oct 06, 2006 8:20 am; edited 6 times in total
annettebrks

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 5:08 am    Post subject: Desaturating the Cushion Reply with quote

Once that's done, click on the Layers tab, and then click to the left of each of those invisible layers to make those eyeballs appear again, and make them all visible.

We're going to recolor that cushion now, and being able to see our progress against the trim will give us a better idea of what the finished product will look like. First thing to do is strip away the color from that cushion.

Make sure you're on the Cushion layer.

At the top of your image window, click Layer / Colors / Desaturate. That turns the colors to grayscale.

40-gimp-desaturatecushion.jpg
 Description:
The cushion desaturated
 Filesize:  5.56 KB
 Viewed:  7631 Time(s)

40-gimp-desaturatecushion.jpg

Last edited by annettebrks on Fri Oct 06, 2006 8:11 am; edited 7 times in total
annettebrks

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 5:15 am    Post subject: Coloring That Cushion Reply with quote

And this is where the fun really starts. There's lots of toys to play with when you're coloring. And I'll warn you now that you'll be much better off if you keep track of what you do to change the color, because you'll want to do the same thing to the back view later. You'll be moving slider bars, which will change the numbers beside them - jot down the ones you change and you'll know exactly what to do on the back view graphic.

Up at the top of your image window, click Layer / Colors / Colorize. The Hue changes the color. The Saturation and Lightness bars alter the chosen Hue. Play around with those a bit. I chose a plum color for this version of the chair.

If you don't like what you've done, you can click Reset and it'll go back to the way it started so you can try it again. Remember, you can experiment all you want, and you can always Undo.

That's where the Undo History tab comes in handy. Go over to your main tool box and click on that. In there is the history of all the changes you've made so far. You can always undo one change at a time with Edit / Undo, but you can also click on any of the stages in that Undo History list to revert directly back to it. Very handy when you've gone several steps beyond where you'd like to go back to.

41-gimp-recoloredcushion.jpg
 Description:
The cushion recolored in a plum shade
 Filesize:  5.27 KB
 Viewed:  7628 Time(s)

41-gimp-recoloredcushion.jpg

Last edited by annettebrks on Fri Oct 06, 2006 8:13 am; edited 4 times in total
annettebrks

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 4:15 am    Post subject: Other Color Tools Reply with quote

Now go back up to your image window, and we'll have a look at some of the other color tools.
    Layer / Colors / Brightness-Contrast
    Layer / Colors / Color Balance
    Layer / Colors / Hue-Saturation

All the above let you alter the colors in different ways. Now is a very good time to experiment a bit and get a feel for what they do.

Once you're happy with your recolored cushion, you can switch over to the Frame layer and recolor the wood, if you like.

Here's another version of the chair where I didn't color the cushion at all - instead, I just desaturated and lightened it. Then I went to the Layers dialog and clicked on the Frame layer. I darkened the frame and tinted it slightly more reddish using the Color Balance. Since I like this one better, I think I'll keep it.

42-gimp-recoloredcushion2.jpg
 Description:
Cushion desaturated and lightened, frame darkened and tinted with more red
 Filesize:  6.12 KB
 Viewed:  7627 Time(s)

42-gimp-recoloredcushion2.jpg

Last edited by annettebrks on Fri Oct 06, 2006 8:15 am; edited 1 time in total
annettebrks

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 4:17 am    Post subject: Flattening the Layers and Converting to Indexed Mode Reply with quote

Finished recoloring? If you're happy with what you have, then it's time to flatten everything out.

Over on your main tool box, click on the Layers tab.
Right-click on any of the layers, and choose 'Flatten Layers'.

And we need to convert it back to Indexed Mode, since that's what the game wants.

So go back to your image window, and click Image / Mode / Indexed. An option box will pop up and this is what it should look like.

43-gimp-convertindexed.jpg
 Description:
Converting to Indexed Mode - option box
 Filesize:  25.42 KB
 Viewed:  7626 Time(s)

43-gimp-convertindexed.jpg

Last edited by annettebrks on Fri Oct 06, 2006 8:18 am; edited 3 times in total
annettebrks

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 4:19 am    Post subject: Importing your newly recolored object into T-Mog Reply with quote

Now it's time to replace our original graphic with it.

So click File / Save As. We only changed the extension, so just replace that .xcf with .bmp at the end. Click Okay. It'll ask you if you want to overwrite the old one - click Yes.

Finished with the front, but we still have the back view of the chair to do! There's nothing that we need to do differently with the back, so you can just follow the same procedure. Hopefully, you remembered to keep a note of what changes you made to the colors, so you'll have a back that matches the front exactly. If not, you'll have to just use your eyes and try to match it up. And if that's the case, you're better off to have both front and back images open and side by side on your workspace, so you can match them more accurately.

So close that chair front graphic, open one for the chair back, and have at it!

Once the back and front are both finished, you can close Gimp and get rid of that XCF file that's still in your chair folder. You can move it elsewhere if you want to keep it for future recolors, or just delete it. (Don't confuse that with the XML file outside that folder - that's different!)

Open T-Mog. Find your clone of the chair and click on it. Click on 'Import object file' to put your new graphics on the clone.

And now, click on Edit Object. In there, you can change the name and description that shows in the game's catalog, and the price, too.

Now click on View Object to see your chair in all its glory! You did that!

That's it! Now, the next time you open your game, you'll be able to try out that new chair and know that you made it yourself! And now that you've gotten your feet wet, keep practicing, because you'll be amazed how much faster this all becomes once you've had a little practice.
sim_addicted

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 4:55 am    Post subject: Pretty cool Reply with quote

I have a suggestion for this tutorial. For the more advanced users, they know how to add selections. So for the fuzzy and by-colour select bit, you could say "Using fuzzy select, hold down the shift key and click on the three/four patches of yellow" because the shift key is the add-selection button. Like the Ctrl key is the Decrease selection button.

Oh and also, are you using Gimp 2.0? Because I have Gimp 2.4.4 and it is almost completely different.
dotometer

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

annette - i have to tell you how THANKFUL i am for this tutorial...it saved my sanity and finally i understood!!!! I will forever be in your debt for cutting it to the bone and giving me the "UMPH" i needed to start recoloring - i had tried and tried and just couldnt seem to to get it until i read this.

notworthy notworthy FOREVER IN YOUR DEBT notworthy notworthy

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/bunnytrailsims
darknemesis666

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for this tutorial...it saved my life...THAAAAAANKS!!!!! biggrin biggrin biggrin biggrin biggrin
ludi_ling

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks so much for this tutorial! I never knew how easy it was until I read this tutorial! Love you! hug

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is one of the best tutorials I have come across. Thank you so much. I've gone crazy re-coloring and playing around and I noticed that some objects show up black in TMOG (like the bathroom doors) no matter what color I choose. I did everything over on the same object with greater concentration to make sure I followed all the rules and they still show up black. Can you tell me why this is?
Raeven

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Later versions of GIMP seem to have changed the way they save the files. I found that I need to check both of these settings (picture in link) when saving BMPs for objects.
http://workshop.woobsha.com/TheDrawingBoard/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=173

NOTE: these settings are not used when saving BMPs for skins. for skins I think you only check the first one? or neither? I don't remember off of the top of my head

annettebrks

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Raeven, you are a GENIUS!!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Simblesse Oblige Forum Index -> Object Creation and Recolor Shop All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: