Simblesse Oblige Forum Index Simblesse Oblige
Forums for serious Simmers to share knowledge about The Sims 1

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

#-in-1 Object for Statues?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mary Martha

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 8:14 pm    Post subject: #-in-1 Object for Statues? Reply with quote

Is there an object that has a #-in-1 option WITHOUT the option to change it in game. I tried cloning the curio 6x1 from Woobsha (6 different times),but every one of them had 1 graphic that would not show up in game. I didn't change or add any of the BHAV's that tell it to change to decoration # because I don't know how to do all that. I'd like to have something like Woobsha's 6-in-1 posters where all you have to do is add DGRPs,PALTs,and SPR2s please.
Raeven

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you mean only 5 options show up on the interaction menu then that is because there is no reason to change to the one that the object already is.

Candlelight Sims has N-1 stuff. I believe a statue is among those. It probably does have the interaction you do not want, though. We were the only ones who decided to show a random one with purchase. The few people who figured out how to do N-in-1s before both put the interaction in to get to the other graphic.

Mary Martha

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 3:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I made a clone and changed it to 6 different color teddybears then tried to buy all of them,but only 5 showed up. I bought so many that they filled up the whole lot,but the last one would not show. I made another clone and changed it to 7 different statues,but only 6 showed for that. I don't understand why all 5 of my clones are different,but all have the same problem. It might have something to do with the catalog DRGP and me messing it up.
Raeven

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't understand why you want one without the interaction menu ("...WITHOUT the option to change it in game") if it is the randomization you are having a problem with.

Hopefully Candal's site has one that works the way you need it to.

Mary Martha

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mostly,I just want something plain and simple like the posters. If I want to add more graphics,I would have to add more BHAV's,right? And I don't know how to mess with BHAV's.
Poetica

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've used Raven's #-in-1 objects a lot and have never had that problem. And I only use random placement because I don't ever play so I never see the change menu. I do know that they don't always show up in order, especially if there are other #-in-1 objects on the lot. So sometimes I have to place a lot get all of the ones I want. But, having to fill a whole lot sounds like way too many to have to go through!

So, did you maybe double check the graphics? Sometimes when I'm recoloring objects I forget to save one of them (or, forget to save them as indexed colors so they won't import properly) and confuse/annoy myself. *lol* That might not be your issue, but it is something pretty simply to check and easily fixed that's worth checking out. At least, that's where I'd start.

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 3:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Feel free to say "What a Dummy" after reading this. The problem had to do with the catalog DRGP that was part of the file. I deleted from some of my clones,or didn't change the number when I added graphics on other clones. I went back and fixed it and everything is working fine now. Thanks to everyone who tried to help,it seems I just need to get out of my own way. blush
Poetica

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't feel bad! There are a lot of moving parts and even though amazing hackers like Raven make their bases as easy to use as possible, it's always a learning curve and a LOT of things to remember. Sometimes things just fall through the cracks. It happens to all of us!

Glad you got it working.

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats on figuring out the issue! It can be really hard to keep track of everything little change and it is definitely a lot more work than it seems it should be to backtrack and find stuff like that - just as much as reverse engineering someone else's!

Here's some extra information.

The way the randomize works in those objects is this:

When you first buy the object the init BHAV (#4101) runs. This BHAV triggers another BHAV, #5109 "(priv:) Sub - Pick Random Graphic"

"Sub - Pick Random Graphic" does the actual choosing of which graphic the object will start out as and switches to that initial graphic.

A truly random number isn't possible. The computer needs some sorta formula to work from. t cannot make things up out of thin air. But we can make it SEEM random by using a "seed" in the formula. Something that constantly changes. One popular seed is the current time, for example.

So here is how I choose to do it:

Code:
Local Variable 2 Assign To: stack object's definition num graphics

the "stack object's definition num graphics" in question is the number listed in the OBJD. The BHAV is taking note of that number.

Code:
Local Variable 0 Assign To: My object id

"My object id" is not the GUID of this object. It is a number assigned to the object when it is placed. So if you place 4 of the same counters on a lot they will all have the same GUID, but they will each have a different (stack) object id. - our common use of "object id" when we actually mean GUID is wrong. But it is easier for most people to think of it that way. The truth is an object id is for that instance of the object.

So if you buy your curio and it is given the stack object id of 56 then this is the number used to "randomize" the graphic.
The next one you put down will use 57 (or whatever)

Code:
Local Variable 0 mod= Local Variable 2

Take the "number of graphics", divide that into the "stack object id" and find the remainder.

Code:
Stack Object's graphic Assign To: Local Variable 0

Use the graphic that is the same number as that remainder.

IN-GAME:
You have bought your 6-in-1 curio (number of graphics: 6) and it is given the object id of 56.

56/6= 9 plus a remainder of 2
Your object is set to Graphic 2

You buy another 6-in-1 curio (number of graphics: 6) and it is given the object id of 57.

57/6= 9 plus a remainder of 3
Your object is set to Graphic 3

you buy 2 chairs which are given the stack object ids of 58 and 59 then buy another curio which gets assigned the object id of 60.

60/6= 10 with no remainder
Your third curio is set to Graphic 0

You sell those two chairs and buy another curio. It is assigned object id of 58 and has it's graphic set to 4.

That is idealized. The actual object ids being assigned wont be as nice and neat you get the general idea.

The only difference between object that uses the above code (ssw_6-in-1centerpiece_baseTS.iff) and the FEW that were designed to have thumbnails that show the object is a 6-in-1 collection is that the latter has a line that looks at the number of graphics and reduces that number by 1 so that it is never trying to show the Catalog drgp. Nothing else about the approach changes.

The 3-in-1 posters I did for the downtown version of Ines' Sim Bakery literally use the exact same randomize BHAV. #5109 "Sub - Pick Random Graphic". Like literally-literally as in I imported it from my curio base.
The only reason the posters do not have an in-game interaction for changing the graphic later is because there's only 3 graphics in there so I figured it is not too much of a bother to keep buying them until the one you want showing appears. The lack of an interaction menu doesn't make the randomization work any differently and doesn't make it a simpler base to use, I'm afraid. As with the curio you would still need to change the number of graphics listed in the OBJD if you change it from a 3-in-1 to something else.

The posters' big OOH AAh stuff all was about being a N-in-1 that hang a wall, being a N-in-1 light source, and having that illuminated sprite so it glows in a darkened room. The actual N-in-1ness of it is the just a repeat of the basic curio base

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Simblesse Oblige Forum Index -> Sims Sleuths All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: