Simblesse Oblige Forum Index Simblesse Oblige
Forums for serious Simmers to share knowledge about The Sims 1

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Still interested in this forum?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
bruja
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mars contacted me last week to ask me if I thought we should keep the site alive. She's right that the site renewal fee will be due shortly, and to be honest, I was probably not going to bother. I spent hours trying to keep hackers out and I wasn't very successful, so about a year ago, I just gave up, and I haven't been back since.

I got locked out of the other major Sims1 site about then for some reason - you know that I'd not have misbehaved in any way so I can't figure it out. (sorry, can't remember the name at the moment), and it was all enough to put me off the game and creating for it. What is the name of that site?

And does anyone know how we can keep the hackers out of here if I pay up for another 3 years?

DamonDamore

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Honestly, without upgrading the forum software I'm not sure how.
Thalia

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 3:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was it Terraluna? Were they having log-in issues a while back?

I am not able to help either financially or with keeping hackers out, but I'd really hate to see this forum disappear. I can brainstorm solutions, but I don't know if anyone is asking (do we need a fundraiser? to move it somewhere else? Can it be archived somewhere? &c.)

If for whatever reason, this forum does not continue, how much warning will we get? There's information here that I don't think is anywhere else.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 3:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, what is causing all the blackouts? Is it a bandwidth thing? Is that anything to do with the hackers you were talking about?

And, I'll be impolitic and ask: how much does it cost to keep this place running?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 5:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My understanding (as a mod) is that hackers and bots keep trying to access the site, trying to login, and running scripts and wasting bandwidth.
Poetica

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That sounds truly frustrating! sad

Is there a forum upgrade that would ease that burden? If so, is there a way we could maybe crowd source it to help share the cost?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My understanding is that upgrading the software means upgrading the hosting package which means more money from us. Also upgrading the package to get more bandwidth is, again, more money from us.
druidessex

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 11:42 am    Post subject: Current events Reply with quote

I would be sorry to see this forum end but I can understand that all things eventually do. I check in often and look through old posts, search for things I discover I need for the most current version of the game I am playing, and am surprised after all these years that I can still learn something I did not know about this game I became addicted to 17 years ago. I still play. I can understand that this forum is a costly enterprise for the people who provide it for us to enjoy both financially and time wise. If there is the possibility for the form to continue I would be pleased, however I am not expecting our hosts to provide this service under adverse conditions for themselves. What ever will be will be...I thank you and I truly appreciate all the hard work involved with this endeavor. hug
Andrasta

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Mars and Bruja,

thanks for making yourselves alive smile

Still there and using the forum also as invaluable source for searching creating knowledge!

It would be so sad if you had to close down sad so I sincerely hope there is a chance for keep on running SO!

purplewowies

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The amount of downtime lately is *really* freaking me out. o_o
mmarie

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have as much time as I used to for sims but I still check in a few times a month. Some of the information here is invaluable and this has been my first go to place when I have questions about creating or issues with my game. I really appreciate that this site has been here for us. smile

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally, I would be very sad if the forum would close. As mmarie already mentioned, the information written down here about creating and hacking are real treasures. I admit, I am one of the persons who didn't post a lot, But I do read a lot (at least in the past, when I was more active). I don't intend to give up my passion and so I really value all the hints given here. And it would be great if this treasure would be kept alive.
zosa

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dude, i would be glad to throw in some pocket change if i possibly could x_____x it would be cruddy if this forum was lost
forestbalrog

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I check the forum a couple times a month, this is one of the few active Sims 1 communities out there so...
Sorry to hear about the troubles with the forum. I hope you are able to keep it up but I understand the difficulties.
CitizenNocturne

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 1:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has a decision been made?
Will will SO be sticking around? huh
It's a valuable forum.

Would capchas help at all with the bots??
Forgive me, I know very little about the subject blush
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Simblesse Oblige Forum Index -> General All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: