Simblesse Oblige Forum Index Simblesse Oblige
Forums for serious Simmers to share knowledge about The Sims 1

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Weirdness in the Inventory tab

View previous topic :: View next topic  
alchemy

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 3:19 am    Post subject: Weirdness in the Inventory tab Reply with quote

I have this strange little problem with my game. It comes in two stages, actually, and that is what freaks me out the most:

1. I made a house once. I didn't do strange things to the lot like, say, replace mailboxes or NPCs etc. Nothing out of the ordinary happens whenever I play the lot. Then I eventually got sick of the house and decided to delete it. Now, here's the problem. When I tried to bulldoze and evict, the game just crashed! surprise Crashing games is nothing new to me, but there's something weirder...

2. I returned to the game, the lot is still intact, but the family has been evicted. I deleted the family and started a new one, placed them on a different lot, and then when I looked at their inventory, they apparently have the stuff that the previous family in a different lot had! And whenever I, say, clicked on "Give Roses" or something that involved the inventory, the game crashes AGAIN!

If I play other families, they work fine; they even delete and bulldoze normally! It's just these two families that are giving me problems right now. angry

I have all the expansions until HD and also UL and Deluxe. I also installed the Downtown and Old Town Buy/Build mode enablers, but have never used them for things other than moving furniture while in DT or OT. I have no weird stuff that replace mailboxes or phones or something to that effect.

Help! help And thanks in advance!
annettebrks

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, let me ask you this. You said that you deleted the old lot. Did you literally just delete that lot's file from the folder without replacing it with another one? If that's the case, I imagine that could be what's gumming up the works, because it would confuse the game. Try replacing that deleted lot with one from the other folders, and you'd probably be better off getting rid of the affected families as well, by evicting and then deleting them. Then restart and see whether things are running normally again.

If that's NOT the case, then please explain exactly what you did when you deleted that house lot. Maybe we can pinpoint the problem.
alchemy

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 5:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I said "delete", I meant bulldoze. Sorry if that confused you. And who in his/her right mind will delete a house from the folder itself when the bulldoze button is right there? But then I had problems with the button so let me explain what happened in detail.

I think the sequence of events above is messy. Here's the sequence of events in detailed chronological order:

1. I made the house with a family. I used Maxis skins, stuff from either Maxis or trusted fan sites that have guaranteed that their objects never collide with other objects in terms of GUIDs.

2. I played the house for a couple of weeks. Then I got sick of it.

3. I tried to bulldoze the house, but the game crashed when I clicked the "Bulldoze" button.

4. When I returned to the game, the family inside the house was evicted, but the house still stands. I exited the game, I used Neighborhood Handler to copy a lot from another neighborhood to override the faulty lot, and went back in the game to delete the faulty family.

5. I made a new family and a new house. Strangely enough, one of the members of the new family had the exact same inventory items as the lone member of the faulty family. I remember it to be a bunch of red roses, the entire magazine selection and a chewtoy. I first thought "Hey, that's nice" and decided to make the sim give the roses to another sim. Then the game crashed again.

6. When I came back in the game, the family itself was fine. The items were still there, but I didn't want to risk having a faulty family while playing the game so I did the exact same procedure with TNHH and the family creation screen.

7. I made a new family and a new house again, and the same thing happened: a stocked inventory filled with faulty items.

I also mentioned that the other families are still fine. Strange... surprise

I guess this is enough info. I'm actually thinking about uninstalling and then reinstalling the program so that I could get rid of some of the nasty files in my game. But could someone please suggest something less, er, drastic?

Again, thanks in advance, and thanks annettebrks for making an effort to help!
patchover

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you sure it is an object you put in your game?

And if you reinstall, what makes you think you won't have it again, unless you remove everything you downloaded.

I would do a search in your Sims Game with your OS and try and find that file.

Now when the home has a bulldozer problem, that is a Game issue most often. It happens. You will use the bulldozer and it crashes. You come back and the family is out but the home is there. You find the home is whacked.

The TemplateUserData is the folder to replace the broken lot. It will most certainly make it empty. So be sure and copy your home you made, just in case you want to save it.

When you Give Roses are they hacked roses? This can happen. Don't reinstall yet. That is too harsh. Let's see what we can do..

alchemy

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm thinking maybe the lot is the problem. Ever since I had the problem, I placed the new family in the same lot as the old broken one, and whenever I had the problem again, I bulldozed the faulty lot again and then had the crashing problem again, and then I get the lot evicted again, and then I use TNHH again to replace the lot. I'm starting to think the replacement lot that I used from the other neighborhoods is the faulty lot. I'm off to replace the lot with a new one from the template...

Thank you!!! thanks1
patchover

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many use other UserData Houses to copy and paste over a broken home. Then they find the new 'lot' just isn't right sometimes

The Templates that are within the game folder are to be used to help replace ruined lots.

After I put a new Template copy in the Town, then I put the home I want to set on that lot. After the Template has erased whatever was wrong.

That is their job and they do it well thumbsup

hug Good Luck

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Simblesse Oblige Forum Index -> General All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: