Simblesse Oblige Forum Index Simblesse Oblige
Forums for serious Simmers to share knowledge about The Sims 1

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

EA Policy and Paysites

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Simblesse Oblige Forum Index -> General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
17mars
Owner
Owner

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 1:26 pm    Post subject: EA Policy and Paysites Reply with quote

As you know, we try to keep non-controversial. Sharing information is the important thing so please take this at face value.
It was recently brought to my attention through a forum member that EA has stated that paysites are in violation of copyright law and terms of service for the Sims, Sims 2 and their components.
I was a little skeptical so I contacted EA myself. Here is their response to my question regarding the sale of user created content:

Thank you for contacting Electronic Arts.

Your forum member is correct about Electronic Arts and copyright law. EA does own the rights to all content created using the Sims and Sims 2 engines, unless otherwise licensed. The intent of the tools released to the public was to allow Sims players to share their creations, not to provide them with a private revenue stream. The selling of content created using these engines by third parties does constitute a violation of both copyright and the Terms of Service, and EA will pursue those involved if they persist in selling this content.

If you have any further questions, please let us know.

Take care,

EA Rep Fenris
Player Relations
Electronic Arts

This does not mean that Simblesse Oblige is "taking a stand" on paysites. Members who own paysites are always welcome. Everyone is welcome. Nothing has changed.

We simply provide this statement of EA policy as information to our members

Last edited by 17mars on Wed May 30, 2007 2:25 pm; edited 2 times in total
17mars
Owner
Owner

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry everyone but we're deleting comments and locking the topic.

It's simply EA's statement for you to interpret as you need to.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Simblesse Oblige Forum Index -> General All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: