Simblesse Oblige Forum Index Simblesse Oblige
Forums for serious Simmers to share knowledge about The Sims 1

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Adventures in reinstalling

View previous topic :: View next topic  
wheatley1

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 8:57 am    Post subject: Adventures in reinstalling Reply with quote

I had been downloading a lot of thing from various sites and wanted to create the correct thumbnails for them so I tried to have two installations of the game on my computer, the main game on the C drive and a vanilla Deluxe game on the D drive. Well that didnít work too well as I found that after doing the thumbnails when I went to play the normal up to Unleashed game I had to do a re-install lite, but when after a little while I tried to go back to the Deluxe only game it wanted to re-install itself but would only do it on the C drive, even after renaming the full game folder and moving the other one back.

I carried on doing this for a few weeks and then on one try of installing just Deluxe it somehow corrupted the .exe in the full game. angry Then I bought my external hard drive and got a broadband connection. Yay. jump dance After doing a lot more reading I realized that the main reason why it wouldnít work is because of the registry files, but I am too much of a coward to mess with that. no

So I decided to do a complete re-install from scratch with saving both the Sims folder and the registry. So that is what I am in the middle of doing and I thought that you might want to know how I am doing. And the answer to that is slowly. sleep

I saved the Deluxe game that I had been using to make thumbnails with to the external hard drive, with a new name, and backed up the registry in My Documents (I donít know why there and not also on the external hard drive). Then I did a registry clean up and defragged the C drive. So far so good. Then I did the same for House Party and Hot Date, playing with the Roomies for a few Sim days in between each installation. The next expansion that I wanted to install was Unleashed so as I had noticed that the amount of room on the C drive had dropped below 20% (my C drive only has a capacity of 22.23GB as opposed to the D drive capacity of 44.48GB, which is why I wanted to put one version of the game on there) I uninstalled all those games that I donít play because of playing the Sims and defragged the drive several times.

I then tried to install Unleashed and wondered why I only got an explorer folder and not the normal screen. What I realized was the last time I put the discs back in their fold out box I had put the Unleashed disc 2 where disc 1 should be. Doh. So I put the right disc in and clicked on the button that usually installs the game and because it was fairly late at night I just clicked ok. So it then proceeds to UNINSTALL the game. Eek. So I just copied back the saved game from the external hard drive and renamed it. It worked and I didnít have to do a lite reinstall to get the game to work properly. Phew. yesss

The next morning I tried again and each time I clicked the install button it wanted to uninstall instead. I thought about it for a while and then had a brain wave. I clicked on the extras button and used the install feature from there instead and it worked like a charm. But playing the game was a different matter. No matter what I did it would not play. Then I remembered something from the first time that I installed it. I have got two CD drives, the one in the computer and the external one that I had brought for my old computer that did not have a re-writer, and for some reason I was using the external one to try to play the game. I put the disc in the other drive and it worked. thumbsup I went through each neighbourhood so that it would create all the townies and played it for a few days more.

I then installed Vacation (which is called On Holiday here in the U.K.) and everything went ok. But I noticed a few peculiar things when I sent my Sims on holiday. The entire reason for doing it in this order was to have pet items installed on Vacation Island. In the big hotel (which was the only place I sent my non-pet owning sims to) I got the large bird cage, the Cockatiel on the stand, a display of pet treats, feeding bowls in the room with the buffet tables and pet beds in the bedrooms. But there was NO litter boxes or fire-hydrants anywhere!!!!!!! And because I didnít have any hacks of any sort there if the sims had a cat or dog they would have made and even bigger mess for the very slow cleaning staff to clean up. old dry

So now to install Superstar. This is the expansion that I have been very wary of installing in the first place as when I originally installed it at Christmas time it managed to completely mess up my game (for more on this see my thread To S S or not to S S (Oh and M M)) so I am trying to install it using my Safe Try Mode from Norton GoBack, and boy am I glad that I have. The installation itself was uneventful, but I have just tried to play the game itself and I have got terrible graphics corruption. explode I am going to try a few things to see if they work and if they donít then I will just have to install Makiní Magic over it, even though that is not what I wanted to do. angry

Jackie
wheatley1

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 2:41 pm    Post subject: Adventures in reinstalling part 2 Reply with quote

biggrin I FIXED IT. Well sort of. After 8 hours, 13 cups of tea, a bit of gardening , a bit of housework (I hovered a rug) and a quick trip to the Sims BBS I managed to get it to run .............................. IN A WINDOW. laugh Well I ran it twice actually as the first time I ran it in a window at the same small size that I normally do and it was tiny so I make a shortcut with window option for the large size and it works. thumbsup

I tried doing a lite reinstall and that didn't work so I uninstalled it. For some unknown reason it left behind two folders I have never found before (I cannot remember if these were there when I uninstalled at Christmas. I sometimes have troubble remembering last week laugh ) One was the expansion 6 folder and the other was called music. It also uninstalled The Sims Creator programe as well. surprise

I then coppied the vanilla Unleashed with Vacation back into the Maxis folder and tried to play that. But it kept on saying that The Sims was not installed. Then I realized what I had done. I had forgotten to re-name the coppied file back to The Sims. bang So I renamed it and it worked then I found out about playing in windowed mode, so I reinstalled Superstar again (for about the fifth time today) and as I have said above it works.
dance

So now all I have to do is install Makin' Magic and put the folders from my old game back in and I will be back in business. This was not how I was planning to spend my week off, and I have not gotten dressed for the last two days, but I really hope that it is all finished by Thursday as that is when my birthday is.

Jackie
wheatley1

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finished. Sort of. laugh Makin' Magic went in like a dream with no problems and played alright. The only slightly weired thing that happen was that only one of my test sims got a wand from the box, but when I sent the other one to Magic Town to buy one the amount of Magi Coins she had stayed the same. Or did I miss something, which wouldn't suprize me in the least. rolleyes

So now since the size of the entire file, with no custom content at all, stands at a whopping 3.67GB all I have to do is delete all the web templates from the user data files (with a U.K. version of the game I cannot upload to the Exchange) which are just taking up space and extracting all the wall and floors. Oh and putting my sims and the game data file back in.

Jackie
wheatley1

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why isn't anything easy with this game. I have spent the last couple of hours trying to import my families into the game and keep all thier friends as that is one of the hardest things I find. Nothing I tried worked so now they are in the game but with no friends, which is alright in my neighbourhood 1 game as there are two families with eight people and they always throw great parties (you have to get them all to phone). The second neighbourhood is more of a problem as there are only seven sims altogther, but i will get round it.

However I have now got a question. In the original game I have got two skins buy folders, one in the expasion pack 3 folder and one in the expansion shared folder. But the new game only has the skins buy in the expansion shared folder, so what do I do with the other one?

thank you

Jackie
DamonDamore

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never bothered uploading to the exchange, you can however just upload them to another site VIA FTP and run your own little sims-world-story-hut-thingy.

Oh, and yea the regestry would mess it up. I've had my own regestry adventures, It's not too bad though...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
mtaman

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can get rid of the Skins buy folder in the Expansion pack 3 folder as they are duplicated in the Expansion Shared folder.
wheatley1

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
You can get rid of the Skins buy folder in the Expansion pack 3 folder as they are duplicated in the Expansion Shared folder.

Thank you, I will do that as soon as I go off line.

Jackie
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Simblesse Oblige Forum Index -> General All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: