Simblesse Oblige Forum Index Simblesse Oblige
Forums for serious Simmers to share knowledge about The Sims 1

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

PC Sims Programs...Please Don't Faint...
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ruthml

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2007 6:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh but when I said using BodyWarp to make the cmx file is incredibly easy - I really meant it!!

You put the skin and bmp into the bodywarp folder. You then run the program, go select the new head mesh, and the bmp to go with it. Then just do a "file - save" the skn mesh and that's it. Close program, go back to the folder where the skn mesh & bmp are sitting and there's now a new cmx file sitting there as well.

But if Sim Show does that then no need for yet another program is there?

Yes, I read how you tweaked the motives to get the outcome you needed in your clothing shop - I don't know how to do that!! All kudos to you! biggrin hug

mtaman

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2007 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ruth, you don't need to put the skn and bmp into the BodyWarp folder. You can browse to where-ever they are on your computer, and the cmx will be saved there too.

What SimShow does is make a copy of an existing bmp, and renames it to go with the cmx+skn that you are viewing the bmp on, and imports the new bmp into your Skins folder. SimShow doesn't do anything with the cmx or skn other than crash if they would make your game crash too. It's a great way to test new skins before you place them in you Skins folder. You can't use it to make cmx.
Yersinia

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2007 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ruthml wrote:
Oh but when I said using BodyWarp to make the cmx file is incredibly easy - I really meant it!!

You put the skin and bmp into the bodywarp folder. You then run the program, go select the new head mesh, and the bmp to go with it. Then just do a "file - save" the skn mesh and that's it. Close program, go back to the folder where the skn mesh & bmp are sitting and there's now a new cmx file sitting there as well.

But if Sim Show does that then no need for yet another program is there?

Yes, I read how you tweaked the motives to get the outcome you needed in your clothing shop - I don't know how to do that!! All kudos to you! biggrin hug

1. wink For me, skins were the hardest part of "hot rodding" the game to my personal specifications -- which is awful, because they're really the foundation of fantasy theme playing at all. I mean, I couldn't even make sims who looked Akaren until I discovered custom skins. BodyWarp does sound alot like Sim Show...I have to put the skins's files in folders within Sim Show to look at them for testing, too, so naturally I'll need to do it if/when I play the "mix and match" method of making new skins. But I think I recall somebody on TSR once asking if "is there a version of BodyWarp for Mac?" -- but I don't recall what the response was. That means if I ever did want to try BodyWarp I'll have to find out not only where to download it (presuming it's free, anyway) which I'll bet should be easy enough, which Windoze it really wants and hope it's not 2000 or XP (I will try to open progs for Win 98 anyway even though the version of Virtual PC I'm getting emulates Win 95. (Oh, the day is set. I'll have it Friday night!).

2. laugh The Garage Sale items were not the first of my tweaks. About a week before Garage Sale was released, was when I lost my "object hacking virginity," hehe. I may still be only barely past virgin on this, but those two objects were, technically, my "first time." I finally got up the nerve to do something about these objects because I can't just sell them on the sims who have them or not buy them for new sims, but they were also causing my sims to do something which drove me crazy. I've had the objects for months, and B.T. (Before Tweaking), to keep them from doing this I had to keep a closer eye on them than I was really capable of doing and still be able to enjoy playing. This was the same issue I wrote about in here some time ago when I brought up the discussion of sims' free will, and one of the reasons I actually turned it off for awhile, in certain houses, was because this was the only way I knew how to stop them from doing this, and those families were too big to be able to keep the constant watch so I could cancel it out of the applicable queues. So I lost my object hacking virginity a couple of weeks ago when I finally went in and got rid of the motive advertising. Now, A.T. (After Tweaking, hehe), they only use these objects when I tell them to, which is how I wanted it.

So -- when I first tried Garage Sale and noticed how the customers weren't shopping, I figured, "if I can get sims to stop doing the other thing by cutting advertising, then I can just as easily get sims to use objects if I increase it." My set of tweaks here (I tweaked all the tables and the clothes rack) went one further: at the same time I gave the Garage Sale items just a little bit of "ad power" (ahhhh, marketing, LOL), I also tweaked the campfire down a slight notch, since one of the things the customers were doing in lieu of shopping was building fires, and the campfire is a necessary item on all Akaren lots so I can't sell it out from under those sims!

Now -- MYUUUHAHAHAHA! -- (OMG I'm actually doing this?!) -- it's actually my turn to tell you that a "customize your game by messing with guts" tweak is "easy!" I figure it must be easy because I can do it, and you know how I've been trying to avoid game guts like the plague, I still feel that way about skinning, and another thing I won't go near is anything to do with art, graphics or animations (i.e., making my own original appliances, furniture, activity-objects or decor, as compared to tweaking objects I downloaded, to make them "behave themselves"),

You are a PC Simmer, and you create, so I take it you have IFF Pencil. Right? If you do, and if IFF Pencil is similar to IFF Snooper, if IFF Pencil has a TTAB section, that's where you go to fix motive advertising. OK, here you go, maybe this will help, since I don't know what IFF Pencil looks like -- I just opened up one of my tweaked Garage Sale items in IFF Snooper and took a screen shot of the TTAB edit screen. Now, do you see how, in the bottom right, it says Advertisement, and right below you see Motive (Social), Minimum, Range and Modifier with numbers next to them? And how to the right of Social, you see a Select button with an arrow? It's from that Select, which offers a menu of all mood motives, that you pick the mood you want to appeal to in your advertising. I chose to display Social for the purpose of this illustration (I also modified Fun). Also notice how next to the word range, the number is 20. That's my tweak. The original object had zeroes on all mood ranges -- I bumped Social and Fun range to 20 and left all the others alone. Plus, if you see in the upper left, Menu Flags column and checkboxes for visitor enabling, joinable, child enabling and so on -- the Garage Sale objects were also not originally visitor enabled (which I found really weird: I mean whether you use the set's sign to attract random customers, or teleport the customers in yourself, they're all visitors, and we want them to shop, right?), so I enabled it by checking the visitor enable box. Now, how you translate all that to IFF Pencil will by necessity be up to you (or you can ask other PC Simmers if you need more help...but then again, I was "taught" in an AIM chat with a PC Simmer who uses IFF Pencil, and once he told me where to go, I was able to translate it no problem) -- but that's all I did to the Garage Sale objects. I tweaked up Fun and Social motive ad range from the original 0 to 20, and visitor-enabled them. I didn't touch anything else. The other objects I "fixed" prior to the release of Garage Sale (plus, the campfire on the day I did Garage Sale), instead of making the range numbers higher on the applicable motives, I lowered them.

Well, have fun! (Gosh, I gotta go Sim! I'm feeling withdrawal symptoms already!)

~Yersinia.

"Hand over the coffee and no one gets hurt."
bruja
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2007 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yersinia wrote:

So -- when I first tried Garage Sale and noticed how the customers weren't shopping, I figured, "if I can get sims to stop doing the other thing by cutting advertising, then I can just as easily get sims to use objects if I increase it." My set of tweaks here (I tweaked all the tables and the clothes rack) went one further: at the same time I gave the Garage Sale items just a little bit of "ad power" (ahhhh, marketing, LOL), I also tweaked the campfire down a slight notch, since one of the things the customers were doing in lieu of shopping was building fires, and the campfire is a necessary item on all Akaren lots so I can't sell it out from under those sims!

~Yersinia.

You'll be handing out advice in the Hacker's Forum next! thumbsup

Yersinia

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2007 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bruja wrote:

You'll be handing out advice in the Hacker's Forum next! thumbsup

laugh

If that's true, it probably won't be for quite some time yet -- I only just lost my hacking virginity! Right now I have many more questions than answers, plus, a lot of "projects" and goals to play out in my games, and for me, playing really does still take precedence over the mechanics of hot rodding the game. Right now, in addition to my present incorporation of Garage Sale on the G4 -- now that I have Aelie's clothing shop rhythm down, I'm presently working on my new family (yesterday I created Majri, her husband Sordel and daughter Yenisse, plus since Zaketh, who was living with Raviala and Illaen, is actually Majri and Sordel's son, I moved him in with them) -- I have a brand new house to get used to: Majri and Yenisse are weavers with a shop, Sordel and Zaketh are farming, all of this makes for one very busy house (now you know why my sims don't go out much: I tend to keep the overwhelming majority of them busy at home!). Then I still have to do Garage Sale (styled a bit differently of course) for a couple families in my human neighborhood, and on my Powerbook too, but I can't really do them until three more weddings, then bringing in some more sims.

On top of that, since my pack rat is bringing PC Exchange on Friday night, my tryout of Skin Doctor is also on the upcoming agenda.

I've been writing down my Q's for Hacker's Hideout though, so when I get tired of playing (yeah, right! so let's say when I'm in the mood for a little break), I promise to inundate everybody in there (poor Peter, since most of my Q's are about IFF Snooper in particular)!

~Yersinia.

DamonDamore

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2007 3:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quick Injection: It might be possible that ot looks in the regesrty (that woudl not exisist in a mac) for the game. It only needs Win95 HOWEVER win95 does not difaultly include the installers to install it X.X so you will need internets. Also some of the later EPs might not work without 95.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Yersinia

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DamonDamore wrote:
Quick Injection: It might be possible that ot looks in the regesrty (that woudl not exisist in a mac) for the game. It only needs Win95 HOWEVER win95 does not difaultly include the installers to install it X.X so you will need internets. Also some of the later EPs might not work without 95.

Damon.....with all due respect, I am unable to understand this. I have no idea what you mean by "X.X" -- also, "internets" (I only know of one Internet, so what's "internets"? Do you actually mean the Internet?). Would it be possible for you to explain all of this to me in careful detail?

I will not be offended, and in fact, I hope that your explanation does assume I'm a total baby who knows nothing, and let me have details in such a way that you'd give to a stupid beginner. If I turn out to be smarter than I think, OK and we'll deal with it, but for now, please just treat me like a dummy you're trying to educate.

Thank you,

~Yersinia.

DamonDamore

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In windows there is a regesty, I do not think Macs have them.

Windows 95 will let you *play* the game, you just might not be able to *install* it (however, judging from another thread you don't want to do that, so nevermind.)

X.X = Dead Emoticon

By "internets" I mean "Accsess to the internet", becuase you can download things from microsoft that allow you to install it, but you do not want to play the game on your VM, so nevermind.

And some of the "newer" (HD+ I think) expansions may have higher system requirements and not work on windows 95.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Simblesse Oblige Forum Index -> General All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: