Simblesse Oblige Forum Index Simblesse Oblige
Forums for serious Simmers to share knowledge about The Sims 1

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Darn Directx....I lost my PSP7

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Madoria

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 9:52 pm    Post subject: Darn Directx....I lost my PSP7 Reply with quote

angry I should not have upgraded to DirectX9b...

PSP7 - my treasure- my beloved friend - stressreliver- HANGS if I try to use the layer window.... cry

I have tried the obvoius - checking for malware, Spybooted, viruschecked...
I even tested with memtest from my Linux partition ...nothing wrong.

Uninstalled

reinstalled

DirectX9= vampire it sucked the blood from my beloved PSP....

Sure - I have a copy of PSP8 - but that one is so very different , sigh jfade's psycho

Luckily - my Sims game and all little treasure around stuff is working
great.

Ok - I have turned off the rant now - you can all come out from hiding

Susanne
eph

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aw, I feel so sorry for you!
I know that feeling quite well, using PSP6 on Win2k. It doesn't hang, but it crashes spontaneously. Sometimes it runs for weeks without problems, sometimes it crashes a hundred times a day (no joke, I really am thick-headed enough to keep going despite all that lost work!).
I too have PSP8 but can't get really used to it. PSP6 is my best friend since 1999. I still have to install PSP8 on Linux in Wine, my main machine. Maybe I can better get used to it then...
We had all trial versions of PSP successfully running on Linux - except for PSP6. Maybe get Wine installed and put up PSP7 there?

I keep my fingers crossed that you will still find a way to get it back to work!

I never got T-Mog correctly working on Win, so I always make my objects on Linux in Wine. Works like a charm.
Madoria

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You mean I could run T-mog in the Wine - the windowz emulator ?????

That would be awsome....I really love exploring my Ubuntu Linux but as I am using PSP and T-mog and all other Sims around programs daily almost
I had to put up with WinXP...

jump dance Tell me more , tell me more so I can Linux more....

notworthy

Susanne
Madoria

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

... btw - I looove how Tux is surfing the Linux wave!!!!!!!!!!!!! laugh
patos

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 2:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love the little surfer too.

Gotta show that to my hubby, the confirmed Linux man! laugh

eph

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, I drew the avatar when I switched all my major computing from Win to Linux. ^^

T-Mog runs perfectly in Wine, you just have to link it to your game or copy some of the game fars and your downloads folder to the Wine harddrive so that T-Mog knows your GUIDS and has a selection of objects to clone.
On Win2k it kept messing up the graphics at import and it froze when I tried to import large objects like bathtubs. So Wine was my only chance.
I can ask my hubbie for step-by-step instructions if you want. He's my installation god. ^^

Simpose didn't run correctly in Wine though and we still have to test Milkshape.

So far we weren't able to get the game itself running on Linux either. We tried 6 or 7 times with all kinds of emulators (VMware, Bochs, X-over Windows, Wine, Cedega...), the best we ever achieved was the neighbourhood screen before it crashed. The problem is the copy protection, the script on the cd realizes that there is an emulated OS running and thinks it's some kind of hacking tool, so it stops the game.
Now with the new processor generation the quad-cores emulate several OS themselves, so I can have a Win2k running in the background and the game should not notice that it's not "real". My hubbie's new laptop has such a processor and we'll try to install Sims there in a few months. If that works I'll buy a new mainboard and processor, play on Linux and test on Win. biggrin
Madoria

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Eph for all the useful information !!!!

It is actually just needed to have PSP7 and T-mog on the Linux area - the game can be in windows aslong as have my beloved PSP7 to create in -

PSP8 is really not the same and they have changed the handy push tool in to a smudge / smeare with transparent pixel in stead of solids that was the ultimate in working on the z buffers - sure - I can't find the correct setting anyway but I actually don't think solid at the start exists - they add up instead and then the time wasting is 3 times longer than befor ...
now I understand why people clone stamp - witch also takes longer than PSP7 solid push for adjusting z buffers ...
Freaking irritating for my part.

Thanks to you all for sympathy!

Susanne
bruja
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 3:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Madoria wrote:

PSP8 is really not the same and they have changed the handy push tool in to a smudge / smeare with transparent pixel in stead of solids that was the ultimate in working on the z buffers - sure - I can't find the correct setting anyway but I actually don't think solid at the start exists - they add up instead and then the time wasting is 3 times longer than befor ...
now I understand why people clone stamp - witch also takes longer than PSP7 solid push for adjusting z buffers ...

Susanne

PSP8 had push as well as smudge, and push is one of my favourite tools.

mtaman may know whether it works the same way as PSP7, which I've never used.

Madoria

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes , it is stil a push but I can't find a setting with a solid 1 pixel square push witch is what I want and are used too-
Now I only get a semi transparent pixel that fills up for each stroke on the same pixel - witch means I have to stroke themsame pixel area several times ....

Well, PSP7 still works partially so I guess I will be doing buffers in that one and any layer work in PSP8.

Susanne
sine_sim_fan

Location: Texas, dealing with my dad's estate and getting into ALL the permutations of The Sims

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

eph wrote:
Aw, I feel so sorry for you!
I know that feeling quite well, using PSP6 on Win2k. It doesn't hang, but it crashes spontaneously. Sometimes it runs for weeks without problems, sometimes it crashes a hundred times a day (no joke, I really am thick-headed enough to keep going despite all that lost work!).
I too have PSP8 but can't get really used to it. PSP6 is my best friend since 1999. I still have to install PSP8 on Linux in Wine, my main machine. Maybe I can better get used to it then...
We had all trial versions of PSP successfully running on Linux - except for PSP6. Maybe get Wine installed and put up PSP7 there?

I keep my fingers crossed that you will still find a way to get it back to work!

I never got T-Mog correctly working on Win, so I always make my objects on Linux in Wine. Works like a charm.

I've found that vmware has a limited functionality (the graphics isn't 32 bit) virtual machine system, which should work well with W2k and whichever distro of linux you have. I'd be using it right now, if I weren't on Win98

DamonDamore

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

laugh My one programmer buddy... he swiched to Lunix... tried to install it... (Both TS1 and the darkside!) He got further with TS1 though... He's nto swiched entirely to Lunix and I have no idea what he does for fun (despite the fact I talk to him just about every other day... whistle ). I'm too attached to my simmies to convert... Oh, and Lunix scares me...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
sine_sim_fan

Location: Texas, dealing with my dad's estate and getting into ALL the permutations of The Sims

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DamonDamore wrote:
laugh My one programmer buddy... he swiched to Lunix... tried to install it... (Both TS1 and the darkside!) He got further with TS1 though... He's nto swiched entirely to Lunix and I have no idea what he does for fun (despite the fact I talk to him just about every other day... whistle ). I'm too attached to my simmies to convert... Oh, and Lunix scares me...

not to be a downer, but it's Linux; not Lunix. Linux is made by a guy named Linus Torvalds and is remotely based on the old Unix "kernel" All the linux distributions are built on the linux kernel whenever Linus brings a new build out. Because he's the solitary holder of the kernel itself, no matter who makes the distribution variants, the whole thing is called Linux. Just thought I'd give a bit of a history lesson on that :P Forgive me if I seem to be ranting.

eph

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

(Actually, Linux means "Linux is not Unix". When Sims1 works on my Linux installation one day I'll never use Windumb again. Never. :) )

He's quite busy at the moment, but I told my hubbie about your problem and he will try to write up installation instructions as soon as possible.
VMware might be the easier solution for PSP, but let's see about that.
It might take a few days, sorry.
sine_sim_fan

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

eph wrote:
(Actually, Linux means "Linux is not Unix". When Sims1 works on my Linux installation one day I'll never use Windumb again. Never. :) )

He's quite busy at the moment, but I told my hubbie about your problem and he will try to write up installation instructions as soon as possible.
VMware might be the easier solution for PSP, but let's see about that.
It might take a few days, sorry.

Right! just like GNU means Gnu is Not Unix, amongst other things :D I always get amused by all the *nix acronyms. Sure they aren't always as easy to understand as Windows terminology, but they are so funny whistle

Madoria

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is no hurry Eph !!!!

notworthy Thank you so much for all the information so far !!!

makes it easier to use PSP8 for now...

I very , very rarely curse - I try hard not to but the other day with PSP8 something slipped out of my mouth ... jfade's psycho

Hugs Susanne
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Simblesse Oblige Forum Index -> General All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: