Simblesse Oblige Forum Index Simblesse Oblige
Forums for serious Simmers to share knowledge about The Sims 1

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Making Backups of The Sims

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Simblesse Oblige Forum Index -> Novice's Nook and Reference Materials
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Raeven

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 12:03 am    Post subject: Making Backups of The Sims Reply with quote

You've downloaded tons of great things (some may not even be available anymore), worked hard creating sims, families and lots and now you want to ensure you'll not lose it all. Most people think of backing up before reinstalling or installing a new expansion pack but it's also a good idea to just make backups periodically. If your are short on hard drive space or just dislike clutter you'll want to keep the latest backup only.

WHAT IS A BACKUP?
A backup is just a copy of the files or folders stored outside of your game. Anywhere you have space will do. A lot of people burn it to a CD so it's off of the hard drive altogether.

WHAT FOLDERS SHOULD BE BACKED UP?
GameData holds a lot of stuff you have downloaded. There are seven sub-folders custom content gets put into.
Walls, Floors, Roofs are all in there and if you use an auto installer (like file maid) objects would be found in the UserObjects folder. Skins folder has your skins you have downloaded. If you are using hacked globals they might be found in the gamedata/globals or gamedata/objects folders. (Personally, since I have the harddrive space, I just copy the entire GameData folder out.)

Since different hacks get installed in different ways you may have hacked globals, game patches, default replacement, etc in the ExpansionPack# Folders instead of GameData/Objects (ExpansionPackShared counts as one of those)

The Downloads folder is where people usually put objects they have downloaded.

Buyable skins can also be found in the SkinsBuy folder. Not sure where that would be in the Complete Collection. Check the ExpansionPack# folders for any SkinsBuy folders starting from ExpansionPack3 and up.

Each Neighborhood is one of your UserData folders. Houses (all lots, including none residential), your actual Sims (characters), their screenshots (photo album) and the FAM files are all in there along with photo albums (screenshots). The numbers in the folder names correspond to the neighborhood number (UserData5 would be Neighborhood 5, etc). and the first, un-numbered folder is Neighborhood 1. There are FAM files are stored in the Import folder which is only UserData (Neighborhood1) so to save your family information be sure to save UserData along with the individual Neighborhoods you opt to save, even if you are not using Neighborhood1.

The only other thing I can think of that people customize is Music though you might have some custom stuffeth in Sounds as well (PiSimSounds objects install there I believe and the TV stations are there)

17mars
Owner
Owner

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 1:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What an excellent reminder!
Thanks for mentioning the files in expansion folders and the music. I forgot those once... :smt085 and now never will again because I learned the hard way.

I personally try to back up once a month which in reality comes to twice a month. Recently I purchased an external hard drive to make back ups far easier but I'm proud to say I still have my very first Sim family and enjoy playing them. It really pays to back up!
bruja
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Super explanation! Thank you, Raeven!

Just a word of caution: Making your back-ups on your hard disk won't help if you fry the hard disk. I learned that the hard way, when I lost everything, including all the skins, walls, floors, and objects I made in the first 2 years I had the game.

An external hard disk is my favourite back-up solution. My second choice would be burning to CD or DVD.
17mars
Owner
Owner

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bruja wrote:
Just a word of caution: Making your back-ups on your hard disk won't help if you fry the hard disk. I learned that the hard way, when I lost everything, including all the skins, walls, floors, and objects I made in the first 2 years I had the game.

:exlplde
OMG! How awful!
I won't complain about my music and ep patches now!
MoppetLiz

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the tips, Raeven! I'm actually about to try a fresh install of everything, so that I can hopefully have a Vanilla game to test objects in, as well as the all-EPs game I usually play, and you mentioned a couple of folders I'd forgotten - d'oh!

Bruja, how horrible for you! I've only been playing for a little over a year but started creating pretty quickly after that, and I can't imagine what a horror it would be to lose everything I've made. So, a great reminder from you as well! That's *exactly* why I have an external hard drive for storing my backups. Not only for my Sims stuff, but I also have about 50 websites that I've designed and continue to maintain. Losing all those materials would leave me pretty much catatonic, LOL.

You know, I'm going to be buying that Sims 2 "Glamour" pack in the next couple of days, so it's a good time to go ahead a back up *both* games. Thanks for the reminders!

Cheers,
Liz

Owner
Owner

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 1:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Jim and I got a good chuckle out of your avatar, Liz! One of our favorites.

"Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation. The old has passed away, Behold, the new has come."
2 Corinthians 5:17
alpha_glamourina

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bruja wrote:
...An external hard disk is my favourite back-up solution. My second choice would be burning to CD or DVD.

I'm ready to back up a ton of files, and am curious as to why burning a CD is second over an external hard disk? Does a disc corrupt more easily over time, or...? I look forward to your reply! (:
bruja
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alpha_glamourina wrote:
bruja wrote:
...An external hard disk is my favourite back-up solution. My second choice would be burning to CD or DVD.

I'm ready to back up a ton of files, and am curious as to why burning a CD is second over an external hard disk? Does a disc corrupt more easily over time, or...? I look forward to your reply! (:

First, CDs do corrupt over time. Even the manufacturers will usually give a maximum life of 1 to 5 years.

Second, my external hard drive is 160 gigs, and the size of a hardover book. I use it not only to backup things that I have in the game in the various folders, but also to back up the original downloaded zips. I have over 5 gigs of downloads outside the game, plus over a gig of my own skinning files, plus another gig of images I've downloaded or made. Having all the backups on the external hard drive means that all I have to do is hit the on switch for the external hard drive, rather than having to burn things to a cd or DVD, then later find and load the correct cd or DVD for the item(s) I need.

And I can take the external hard disk with me when I travel, so I don't have to duplicate things like my skinning files onto the laptop, but I can still have access to everything I did until just before I left home, even though I'm 5,000 kms away.
17mars
Owner
Owner

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For me, the joy of the external hard drive is that it's so darn easy to back up that you do it a lot more often than if you were backing up onto multiple cds.

Not to mention that now I just make a back up of my entire game and I don't have to worry about whether I forgot anything. You can get absolutely HUGE hard drives but cds are so limited in space.
alpha_glamourina

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, i'm convinced.
Time to buy another external hard drive, huh? :lol:
Gazoo

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 9:53 pm    Post subject: I should have come here before! Reply with quote

I wish I had discover your site before my computer harddrive had to be formated it will have save me from a lot of headaches and unnessessary reinstall sad
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Simblesse Oblige Forum Index -> Novice's Nook and Reference Materials All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: