Simblesse Oblige Forum Index Simblesse Oblige
Forums for serious Simmers to share knowledge about The Sims 1

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Indefinite Loading Time for Community Lots, Etc.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Meriste

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 3:22 am    Post subject: Indefinite Loading Time for Community Lots, Etc. Reply with quote

I have two problems.

1. I was on a long building stretch of community lots. Among the significant changes I made: I rezoned Lot 52, remodeled the Landgraab Mall downtown, made a medieval hotel in the middle snow-covered lot on Vacation Island, and removed the extra car portal in the spa on Lot 85.

Now, I was trying to make my Sufjan Stevens sim go to thse lots to test them. What happened was the community lot loading screen would show up with background music and the hourglass cursor. The hourglass would then turn into the normal arrow briefly, the music stops and the typical noise of a community lot would commence.

But then the arrow turns back into the hourglass and the screen would never change into Live Mode. (Whenever this happens I reboot.)

What these files had in common (as the prepare_lot cheat revealed) was the lack of car and ped portals. So I tried Hedda's replacement portals and followed its directions (and deleted them already, save for the S and H tables). The Bunker Sims table seems to be for residential lots only.

Nothing happened.

When I did prepare_lot again on Lot 52 it was looking for a mailbox --- but Old Town community lots don't need those (or do they? If so, where do I find community-lot enabled mailboxes and trashcans?)

I have yet to finish troubleshooting. I really don't want to replace these lots because they were hard to build (but if that's the last resort, I guess I will). But I'd like to hear ideas on what else to do and what other errors to expect.

2. Randomly, everything on a lot I would visit to build on would vanish --- phones, trees, and the like. All that would appear was the house (sans windows and hollows in the walls where the doors should be (or nothing if I haven't built yet) and the tiles. I never save this when this happens. I simply quit the game and restart it. Next time I visit it it would be as I left it the last time.

Why does this happen and what should I do to avoid it happening (or minimize the number of times it happens)? The game takes forever to load.

MERISTE
patchover

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will answer the mailbox.

When you rezone, it is totally possibly you did not. That is the game did not. When you go to the whole view, is that lot residential or community?

Now let's talk of MIA. I have most certainly gone to a home that was MIA. All was gone as you described. I leave and return and it's all there again. (all stuff is back, including the MIA doors) Raeven here spoke about this, the house does not hold the items. The game holds the items.

If this only happens occasionally, ignore it. If it happens all the time come back.

Now you have the hour glass thing. That is when the car portal is whacked.

You said you removed a car portal.. This is bad news. Hedda does have replacements, and they can work at non home areas. A great tool.

Bunker sims is only for home use.

Your game takes so long to load? Okay let's talk of that. I have a huge game file of downloads. At 3.99 GB right now. I load the game in windows version, so it takes a shorter time.

Okay are all your objects read only? Are your downloads in folders inside the game? If so, no more than 199 files per folder.

Now when you cannot access that lot, it's a portal issue. As you saw a ped/car portal will ruin a lot if it is missing.

The trash can is the same it seems as the home trash can. There is no mailbox on the home. The fact that the game tells you it is missing a mailbox and trash can tells me the game does not think this is a community lot.

I keep Hedda's files in the game. I know she says to remove them, but I do not. I do have to use the H table to hide the portals, but who cares? I keep them in the game so I can use them as needed.

Come back and tell me how much RAM you have what OS you use.
If you minimize and play and minimize and play, sometimes the game gets upset if you do that a whole lot.

edit: I am back to tell you I hit prepare lot and nothing told me anything was wrong with the lot I am looking at (#61). I leave Hedda's files in the game for one good reason. As I go to ANY lot I see the ped/car portals. This gives me complete confidence. As you know, you can go to a lot to build on it and not need a car/ped portal. Only if you want somebody to visit that lot or get off the lot if it's a home.

I have in this forum the never ending trolley ride. I have most certainly made errors in my game. I have had sims lost in space in the game, that is, on vacation or in a taxi in a loop around the Downtown jfade's psycho
wink http://www.simblesseoblige.com/viewtopic.php?t=2387

This is a portal issue when you see this. When you can't get out of the car/trolley or airship. When you hear the lot is working, yet the game won't let you play there sad You have to return and put the portals back. I would even put Hedda's files back in the game so you can verify before you try to use a lot. yes

Last edited by patchover on Sun Jul 22, 2007 10:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
Meriste

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So rezoning of Lot 52 to residential and back to community, apparently, is a must. (Damn, it was a fine church!) So is replacing Lot 85 with the original copy. But the odd thing is that I replaced all ped and car portals (back on their old places to boot) on the dysfunctional Vacation and Downtown lots, and error messages about them missing still occurs!

I have 512 MB of RAM and that's the highest I can go without replacing my whole system. Windows XP. All FARs in Downloads and all IFF downloads in Objects except where specified.

I've returned Hedda's portals and might not remove tham again, visible portals be damned.

MERISTE

Last edited by Meriste on Sun Jul 22, 2007 11:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
patchover

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay honey, you don't have enough RAM
XP is a hog of it's own doing
If you run all the EPs like I think you are doing, that is part of it.

Crashing can be may sources. Takes time to figure it out dry

whistle But with XP and only 512 you are pushing it hug

Now listen, the portals show up on EVERY lot. You just have to be able to go into the Buy mode to get rid of them. Personally since the sims walk and ride their cars right over/through them, they don't bother me.

I have raised kids, still got a sloppy caveman in the home. So something like that isn't a biggy. Almost always I am building homes. And that is always taken care of with the H so fast!

Really this game is wierd about rezone. I have almost stopped it over the years, I STory more than play. But the rezone can be whacked. I guess it's just the nature of that in a community. Have you seen them put a business in a homeland area. Lots of neighbors in real life get angry
So that's a twist on it wink

Really I would replant the real Template for that lot
Then save the game and leave that town.
Go back to it and rezone the lot, then leave that town
laugh Sounds funny but let's try

Okay now go back and see if that lot is community or residential
If it is community, go prepare lot and drop Hedda's car and ped portals on the land. Then save.
Then leave that town, yeah then go back.

I am thinking that when you leave the town and the game writes the neighborhood iff file, that's when it might save it as your rezoned area. So we could try that..

The missing error message. Ignore it. Fix the lot and leave it and go out of town, then come back. Try that and come tell us. hug

patchover

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is a list that is good for lot 52 Knowledge

Lot 6-9-62-64-65-67-76

These lots ALL can have the same structure and the home will face the exact location as in the 'town view'

I got the entire list in this forum but for now.
Lot 52 can be made on ANY lot that I just gave you

**The Sticky at the front of the General Forum is my thread you should go read and copy to your hard drive. It's vital in some ways**

I move Vacation to home lots
It will make a Vacation lot turn into a Residential
I can move a Magic to Community
It will make that MM be a Community Place

Of course the MM parts won't be on community, nor will Vacation
Some stuff has to be recatagorized, and some won't change even then.

I would first go through with one being a home lot
Then dropping it on the Community lot
Now pay attention to this part.. (edit: blush please.. sounded so pushy laugh )

Hedda learned this..

you drop House 6 on Lot 52. Now that home is missing something vital.

You go to that new Lot 52 that was House 6. You SAVE and RUN
Do not move anything, just save and RUN

Okay now that you did that, it has changed the home stuff to community. That is the portals. Something that I think gave her the lead to finding out how to fix the non home portals. A smart lady. biggrin

Last edited by patchover on Mon Jul 23, 2007 12:52 am; edited 1 time in total
Meriste

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes I know. blush But I manage somehow by limiting gameplay time and being discriminate about DLs. Having PC Booster and Killer Sims' Read Only helped too.

So prepare_lot can lie too? Hmm...

I'll get back to you when it settles down.

MERISTE
patchover

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 1:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No reason to be embarrassed. We all love our game enough to do whatever it takes hug

Let us know how it goes and we shall see.

Oh yeah the prepare lot can go wrong sometimes.
Or the game itself rolleyes

Meriste

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, updates:

Replaced Lot 51 with the template. After some rezoning and rebuilding, the church is functioning at last (although the Sims like its garage sale displays better than listening to sermons).

Lot 26 can be visited again too --- but somehow when I tried to make Sufjan call for a cab he'd just pick up the phone and put it down a bit later.
The Simorphor elevators I put there don't work either, but they work on Lot 50 which I turned into a community lot. Aren't build items supposed to work on any lot?

Lot 41 still hangs. Lot 46 I still haven't visited yet. Might recheck these lots.

Lot 85 I replaced with the template too, but I haven't tried visiting yet either.

So what do I do with the phones? I've replaced the phones downtown several times using the replacement phones from Some Sim Things. Nothing going (and they work on every other lot I've used them on). I suspect something else, but I don't know what it could be.

MERISTE
patchover

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The phone at home does this pick up and put down??

Then use the bunkers sims table and put in a new phone.
Do not use hacked phones, use the silly beige wall phone to see.
Sometimes other phones just act up.
Other times it's the phone line itself thumbsdown

Building things don't always work in every lot. No they will show. In fact you can recatagorize anything to show up on the non home areas. Even buy them and place them on the lot.

Then you take a sim to visit and find out all those things are MIA surprise

Not everything will work.

You do have to resave your home when you buy a new phone
And then leave and then come back rolleyes

Meriste

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, the faulty phones and broken elevators are on Lot 26, the remodeled Landgraab Mall. It happens no matter how many time I replace the DT phones.

So how do I fix the phone line if it is the phone line? And do I need to, say, recategorize the elevators for them to work?

MERISTE
patchover

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay the phone line can be fixed if you bring that non home lot home.
Then use the bunker sims table

Find the phone line and if you are lucky you can see it. It's a stupid grey thing they call a mixer.

It's usually by the very edge of the lot, near the road.

If not found, give up. Just put a new one down and place it anywhere. Go live and save and leave

Now come back and try to use the phone to call the trolley. Go there and come home.

Okay now save and then copy that lot and take it to the community one you want. The phone line should be fine.

You might try the elevator catagorize.. FIRST copy the files and save them. Now go and create a new elevator catagory area and try that.

Remember you have a saved version outside the game wink

Meriste

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 2:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, so bringing them home might fix that? Which away lots would be compatible with which home lots then? And how do I do that?

MERISTE
patchover

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 4:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the sticky in this forum is the notes

Now if you like home 3 and want it else where

You first right click and copy house 3
Now save that.
Make another copy of 3.
Rename it 4,8,10, 59,68,69

Any of those. They will face the exact same way

It can fix it yes, the phone can be torn down and thrown away, get a new one and have a new phone line. Save the game and leave, then come back. I mean for YOU to save the game and leave the house. Go play somehwere else with some other family. Then go back to that no phone house and see if it works. biggrin

I have renamed all my away lots to be home lots. I have played in thema and had fun STory time with them. Only some of the objects won't work.
Same thing the other way.
Put a house on a non home area and fix the portals and there you go thumbsup

Always make copies. Make copies and then rename a copy. Then you never make a mistake and wish you had not sad

Now I have not taken the time to do the other areas. But I don't ever care what the view of the town is. When you play each lot, you only see that one lot. So it never matters. I will update that with the other areas that are compatible for exchanging the house/structure wink

Meriste

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 2:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Done with the troubleshooting. thumbsup

Turns out Lot 44 has a corrupt object, but Lot 26 and Lot 41 only required new phonelines. Thank you! notworthy

Perhaps a build-mode all-lot troubleshooter sort of like the Bunker Sims table is a good thing for the wish list. Especially one specific for phone lines.

MERISTE
patchover

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am so happy honey. I have watched this to see if you came back. I am very glad. Have a joyful day dear one hug

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Simblesse Oblige Forum Index -> General All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: