Simblesse Oblige Forum Index Simblesse Oblige
Forums for serious Simmers to share knowledge about The Sims 1

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Pruning bloat bmps from iff files (Picture intensive)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Simblesse Oblige Forum Index -> Object Creation and Recolor Shop
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kate

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First off - thank you for taking the time to write that up!

Second, I have a question for those of you who have been pruning your downloaded/created objects extensively using this method - how much space are you saving approximately for roughly how many objects?

My issue is that I've 4500 in the public domain, another 1000 which probably would need to be done for the once in blue moon occasions when people request them, that's a lot of work! That is weighed up against the fact something like this is better done at source, than by the end user *but* on the flip side again, if my Sims 1 visitors all rush in to grab the updated versions, that's quite a lot of bandwidth even for a relatively small group of people, and if no one bothers to replace their files then no extra bandwidth *but* a gigantic waste of my totally non-existent time.

Gah! sleep
Siyankan

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was just trimming out some of your files a few hours ago, Kate. The amount saved varies widely, of course, but the average for single-tile objects with a single DGRP was between 30-50%. The percentage goes down, of course, when you have larger files with lots of other things going on, but it's still a noticeable drop. The most I've trimmed off a single file so far has been 135KB, but I've done that several times now.

I've gone through maybe 400 downloads so far (not all are yours), and have trimmed out about 20MB.

-----

By the way, if it would save you some time, I could send you the Parsimonious files I've trimmed down. I haven't done anything else to them; thanks to your wonderful attention to detail, I don't generally have to. I probably have about 1/2 of your sets on my computer and am going to be trimming them down anyway.

Last edited by Siyankan on Wed Feb 25, 2009 9:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
Raeven

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Second, I have a question for those of you who have been pruning your downloaded/created objects extensively using this method - how much space are you saving approximately for roughly how many objects?

That will vary considerably from object type to object type.

diningchairs.iff came with 6 chairs bundled into a single iff file. That's 15 extra BMP_ that hitch along when you clone a single chair plus 3 more that T-mog will strip out when you clone the object. Two thirds of the BMP_ resources weigh in at just over 8kb each and the other third weigh in at about 4kb each. That's an extra 100kb per dining chair.

BurglarAlarm.iff, of the other hand, has a single object in it. The only BMP_ inside of it are associated with the one object you would clone and there is absolutely noting to strip out. That's 0 extra kb per burglar alarm installed.

Most objects will fall somewhere between those extremes and even dining chairs cloned from expansion packs may not have that many extras inside. blush To make things a bit more hit or miss for Parsimonious, in particular, I had a habit of stripping the extra BMPs out whenever I fiddled inside of an object so some (not many) of your things already have it done and if you happened to clone that version the clones will be done already as well.

I hardly have my finger on the pulse of the average Simmer these days but personally I can't really see many people re-downloading if you strip the BMPs out.

This sounds slightly insane but I assume you'd not really do 4500 objects manually, right? The resident genius over at Parsimonious would concoct a utility to strip the BMP_ out in batch form? It might be simpler all around to offer that to the general public. Not only would they be able to strip the extra BMP_ from Parsimonious downloads they could do any clones (Parsimonious is just too funky - no one is going to have your sets without also scoring recolors from somewhere LOL) and get to trim items from everywhere else. Bonus!

I don't post any of that lightly. I do fully understand that making a utility for private use and gussying it up for public use is very very different and the latter is a ton more work. I could even see how it'd end up being more work than tidying & repackaging your objects... then again maybe not. 4500!! gads, woman, you are a maniac hug

Siyankan

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's true. With as many objects as you have, the person who'll have saved the most space is you. Perhaps the best question to ask is, is the extra space and the impact on bandwidth from smaller file sizes going to be enough to substantially benefit to the site?

------

On a completely random note: Following Clark's estimation from earlier, trimming down all of Parsimonious' public Sims 1 content by hand would take roughly 12.5 hours. I tend to find his estimate a bit high, especially when I'm on a roll; going at my average pace would take roughly 5 hours. Not that any of this matters, of course, if there's a utility involved.

Madoria

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

4500 jfade's psycho notworthy

I am up to 2120 objects now and I have never taken away bloat bmps in my early stuff...

Nowadays I might go in and take way unused bmps but not always. But I usually do it when i graphics swap though.

Susanne

Siyankan

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To quantify a little bit more directly, here's what happened when I trimmed your new Long Island set:

Loveseat: 380KB > 232KB (148KB saved)
Sofa: 436KB > 289KB (147KB saved)
Daybed: 372KB > 225KB (147KB saved)

Wall Lamp: 138KB > 64KB (74KB saved)
End Table: 131KB >58KB (73KB saved)
Desk Chair: 112KB > 51KB (61KB saved)
Armchair: 159KB > 122KB (37KB saved)
Footsool: 130KB > 93KB (37KB saved)
TV: 2979KB > 2954KB (25KB saved)
Bookshelf: 363KB > 339KB (24KB saved)
Floor Lamp: 154KB > 130KB (24KB saved)
Coffee Table: 108KB > 84KB (24KB saved)
Desk: 137KB > 124KB (13KB saved)

Table Lamp: 96KB > 96KB (0KB saved)
Rug: 304KB > 304KB (0KB saved)

As you can see, the sofas are big on bloat - every one I've done has ranged from 146-150KB cut. The others varied. Your table lamp and rug, in this case, came from bases that had already been trimmed. The total trimmed from this set is 834KB.

Raeven

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 1:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On a completely random note: Following Clark's estimation from earlier, trimming down all of Parsimonious' public Sims 1 content by hand would take roughly 12.5 hours. I tend to find his estimate a bit high, especially when I'm on a roll; going at my average pace would take roughly 5 hours.

Most of us could not keep a single pace for several hours running. in addition to actually removing the the BMP_ Kate would end up having to repackage all of the zips (every object gets packaged twice as she offers both individual downloads and a set zip) and it all gets re uploaded (which would be automated but would probably also dominate her computer during the duration). That should also be factored in when considering the scope of the job she is considering. (I know Kate's already aware of it.)

Siyankan

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 6:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Naturally. I was just having too much fun with my numbers. biggrin
Kate

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks everyone for your input!

Certainly the factor of zipping them all back up is a considerable part of the thing. I processed the entire collection a couple of years back to add custom thumbnails to earlier items that didn't have them and that significantly smaller collection of around 3300 objects, took a solid week of time to put them all back in zips and upload them. Uploading especially isn't straightforward as I'm in limbo, house-wise and suffering with terrible mobile broadband, so even something as simple as SFTPing the files to our web servers, requires constant supervision to restore the connection when it drops out every few minutes and the 3Gb+ of data is more than my monthly allowance!

Possibly it might be something Pi could script as a utility, certainly visitors would find it generally useful I'm sure with everyone running up to the limits of what their games will support, but I don't know how feasible it will be to get him to cram that in, he's really up to the wire with work commitments and generally having a tough time of things atm poor man! We've got a lot going on at the moment and getting him to do any of this sort of stuff is heavy going at the best of times and more so, as supervising him to do things is even harder at a distance (he's still in Germany). I can see the more immediate problem too being that he doesn't have The Sims, or the time to go out and buy a copy to test it so he and I would have to do email back-and-forth testing on anything he wrote for it.

I think probably the bandwidth issue isn't all that major. Having looked at it in more detail, I realized that our Sims 1 usage rarely goes over 40Gb a day, so in that respect it probably wouldn't be a major trauma if there was a sudden bump. Equally though it does mean that even a 50% saving wouldn't make any significant difference (certainly not enough of a difference that I'd save money which is the bottom line when it comes to bandwidth). In any case, a batch utility thing would take care of that as a problem anyway provided it was easy enough to use. Then again, my DH isn't terribly good at creating nice programs that look friendly, they're all a bit on the functional side which concerns me when it comes to our non-English speaking visitors.

It's always tricky really because whenever these sorts of chores come up, it's always gotta be weighed up against what else needs to be done, what will benefit the most people etc. I was looking at the shadow stuff, that's another issue that has been bothering me for some time, because whilst disabling the shadows entirely and rendering new ones with hand textures for each object, would be the ideal, it's unquestionably too time consuming (plus I *hate* making shadows for Sims 2, it would be just as bad for Sims 1!). But changing the settings to use the pre-existing shadows would be considerably more feasible *if* I can find the time to do it. It does strike me doing both chores in one would make the most sense, but it makes it an even bigger project at a really bad time of year!

This is why I get so annoyed when visitors whine at me for more updates lol, there's always so much stuff they don't realize, that us creators have to deal with!
Junipur

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to get something straight here, Asger Jorn is Danish, and Trolden og fuglene means the troll and the birds :)

(seeing that file name I thought you where from Denmark too :))

Well maybe I should try removing those bmp´s from my downloads, maybe my game would stop loosing the sound all the time then ?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Simblesse Oblige Forum Index -> Object Creation and Recolor Shop All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: