Simblesse Oblige Forum Index Simblesse Oblige
Forums for serious Simmers to share knowledge about The Sims 1

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Tweaking tourists on a mac

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Simblesse Oblige Forum Index -> Theme Players
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bruja
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 2:22 pm    Post subject: Tweaking tourists on a mac Reply with quote

Yersinia posted some interesting information in another thread, so with her permission, I'm copying it here.

Yersinia wrote:
On that "Theme the Tourists" thing, I'm doing it straight from Sim Show/Snooper now, not bringing them into someone's house with a teleporter/visitor controller like I did originally that time back in the original A'sral hood. This is because my Pack Rat made me a new program MacSimFinder which lets me alphabetically list all the "owners" of the User000xx.iff files! (I know, we need to package it up a little nicer for Real Mac Simmers Out There, I have to write a Readme and release it...but haven't gotten around to it yet)...anyway just got it last week so now when an Akaren sim goes to VI and I see Tourists who need tweaking (most are OK since I populated the new villages with custom skins in the mix but some do need tweaking), I just jot down their names, when I get around to it, pick skins for them in Sim Show, find them fast with MacSimFinder, go right to their files and pop 'em open/fix 'em with Snooper. Plus I'm giving them Akaren names too, which I didn't do in A'sral. Doing them a few at a time like this is a lot less daunting too. I still can't be bothered with Townies or Stranges in this installation (my Akaren sims don't go Downtown or to Magic Town, only to Old Town and VI), but I will have theme appropriate Tourists at least, and yes, maybe even some of the Migration bondings from the stories..... (er, well, the weddings will be residential, but now they can marry sims they meet on Migration! LOL)

bruja
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

She also sent me this additional information:

Yersinia wrote:

Post it if you want to...although you might not really want to do it after all when I tell you this: "my" way of theming Tourists (which technically would work just as effectively for Townies, Stranges etc. if only I was personally inclined to do it) -- as detailed in that post, really isn't the "best" way to to do it in terms of what's the easiest way to do it for the majority of Mac Simmers -- at least not at this time. This is because my "new" method involves using that new program MacSimFinder that me and my Pack Rat only just recently came up with, but which we have yet to finish packaging and releasing for others to use! I'm the only one who has it (er, well he does too, but he doesn't Sim, so I'm the only one who can use it for now!) So for the time being, everyone else still has to do it with one of the "old ways," of which there are two:

In Game (Everybody Can Do It)

Using a teleporter and visitor controller, or a move-in plant, bring each away lot sim to the home of one of your playing-sims who has an anywhere dresser of some kind, make them change clothes (plus PJs, formals, bathing suits, winter, high fashion for those with SS), then send them back where they came from. Bring in next sim, do them all this way, one at a time, until they're all done. This is actually the way it's usually done. I did it this way that first time with A'sral's Tourists (only I forgot to change their PJs and bathing suits) -- but didn't like it much because it took half a day in real time and disrupted my playing-sim's routine (I know, I'm weird).

Out of Game (Only for the Very Patient)

Make a manual list of every single sim's character file and edit the bodystrings of the desired away lot sims in Snooper -- but you need Sim Show to do it, unless you also happen to know, by filename, what every single skin you own actually is. I don't and never will.

On top of that, and, even with MacSimFinder which now makes the list for me, I still have to use Sim Show to choose the new theme skins to give the Tourists, and....Sim Show for Mac is an old program and from what I've seen, I'm almost the only person who still uses it, or even can use it anymore -- because I am running very old Macs which are even capable of operating in Classic Mode. Sim Show for Mac will only run on OS 8.6 through OS 9.2.2. Virtually everyone on Mac, Simmer or not, is running OS X now, even me (I was such an OS 9 diehard I didn't start using OS X until it had been out for over five years, but even I'm on OS X now).

The only reason why I'm still able to run Sim Show is because my Mac is both capable of, and set up to, run in Classic Mode (an OS 9 emulator through which I run my oldest programs: Sim Show, GUID Checker and my emailer). Newer Macs won't even run Classic Mode, and on top of that, even other Mac Simmers I know of with Macs about the age of mine, do not even set up to run Classic! If they don't have an OS 9 installation CD, they can't set up Classic, and most don't think of this even. To wit: Karin's Mac is way too new, she can't run Classic. And as far as I know, Thalia, who also has a G4 (so she'd be capable), doesn't have Classic set up on her machine. It's just that I'm practically the only Mac Simmer here who's been on Mac for a decade and a half like this (i.e., since way before OS X even existed), so I not only know these ins-and-outs and am used to them, but I refuse to give up the "old" programs (like Sim Show and my emailer) -- which require running in Classic once you bring OS X into the picture.

So I don't know how well my new Tourist-theming method is going to work for everyone else even once my Pack Rat and I package up and release MacSimFinder (which may in fact only be useful to me, but we'll find out eventually I guess).

bruja
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since I'm one of the simmers who wants all the sims in a theme game to have appropriate heads and bodies from the beginning, I was interested to note that Yersinia gets better results for her Tourists when she starts by populating a new neighbourhood with a Skins folder loaded with skins appropriate for her chosen theme.

Quote:
so now when an Akaren sim goes to VI and I see Tourists who need tweaking (most are OK since I populated the new villages with custom skins in the mix but some do need tweaking),

(I know that Yersinia had trouble when she tried to remove the Maxis bmps from her game. Whether that is a mac thing or a problem specific to her system, I don't know.)

But I'm now encouraged to move on to making all the theme appropriate man and boy heads to replace the Maxis bmps I've now stripped from my game. smile

Raeven

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 1:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've not tested it yet but you may be able to control the names of your Tourists sims (the ones you will be generating, not the ones that havce already been made) buy editing Live.iff (found in Gamedata) and giving listing theme-appropriate names.

liveIFF.gif
 Description:
 Filesize:  7.04 KB
 Viewed:  5550 Time(s)

liveIFF.gif

bruja
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 2:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Raeven wrote:
I've not tested it yet but you may be able to control the names of your Tourists sims (the ones you will be generating, not the ones that havce already been made) buy editing Live.iff (found in Gamedata) and giving listing theme-appropriate names.

So mtaman says. I trust him to the extent that I have altered all the lists for all the away lot sims.yes On both my active computers.

And since my laptop hasn't had its GameData thoroughly messed around, I'll go test.

bruja
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 3:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, it works perfectly. All thr tourists turned up with names from my new lists.
Yersinia

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 3:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bruja wrote:
Since I'm one of the simmers who wants all the sims in a theme game to have appropriate heads and bodies from the beginning, I was interested to note that Yersinia gets better results for her Tourists when she starts by populating a new neighbourhood with a Skins folder loaded with skins appropriate for her chosen theme.

You must recall, poor dear Bruja who (mostly, with some help from a few others as well) taught me how to clean up the mess -- the Powerbook Vacation Fiasco in November 2006, when I first installed Vacation on my old Powerbook and it crashed on bootup...bad skins....that incident left me with such a bad taste in my mouth it's why I never populated a hood with anything BUT a Maxis Skins folder for two years! But that of course brings us to my Great Big Skins Folders Cleanup of Spring 2008 when I finally cleaned the human game's Skins folder out of Akaren/Vulcan skins, and the Akaren/Vulcan game's Skins folder out of human skins (at least, as far as was possible) --

Quote:
(I know that Yersinia had trouble when she tried to remove the Maxis bmps from her game. Whether that is a mac thing or a problem specific to her system, I don't know.)

It's a Mac thing. There is no program for Mac which will allow you to delete files out of Maxis fars. Open a far, look at the contents and extract any file you want, yes -- but delete? No. So I was only able to delete the unwanted Maxis bmps which were "out in the open," in the Skins folder. (And what a pain in the neck it was too!)

Anyway, it wasn't until several months after that horrifying cleanup -- fall 2008 now, that I broke up the way overpopulated A'sral and opened up the four small villages of Khiret, Elisd, Aliset and Sekkara -- and for the first time populated with my "Normal" Skins folder (the one with the custom skins) -- so yes, I did do much better with themed away lot sims this time around! Still ended up with some Maxis ones, but that's inevitable, since I can't clean out all non-theme Maxis bmps from my game due to the far issue.

Oh yeah, and something I forgot to mention in all that information you moved into this thread when it comes to theming away lot sims on a Mac:

Clothes changing can be done in-game as described earlier, but if you get stuck with Maxis heads -- you have to open that sim up in Snooper and edit the bodystring for the head.

Raeven wrote:

laugh Raeven and I were yakking it up pretty good (on the phone) when she found this, and since she was also helping me with something else (too ridiculous for me to admit in public blush) -- I tried it and tested it -- the five Tourist families I'd themed and changed their first names in their User00xx.iff files over the last couple of days, I gave them Akaren clan names as last names in Live.iff. While the changes stuck in the Live.iff document, when I rebooted the game, went to a sim's house and clicked on the teleporter to see what last names would come up, the new Akaren clan names didn't show, just the Maxis last names -- but the first names of those sims were the Akaren ones I'd given them in the theming process...

Ah well!

~Yersinia.

"Hand over the coffee and no one gets hurt."
bruja
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 3:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yersinia wrote:
the five Tourist families I'd themed and changed their first names in their User00xx.iff files over the last couple of days, I gave them Akaren clan names as last names in Live.iff. While the changes stuck in the Live.iff document, when I rebooted the game, went to a sim's house and clicked on the teleporter to see what last names would come up, the new Akaren clan names didn't show, just the Maxis last names -- but the first names of those sims were the Akaren ones I'd given them in the theming process...

Ah well!

~Yersinia.

Changes you make to the name lists won't affect your existing sims. However, when you populate a new hood, the names of the newly created away-lot sims will be from your changed lists.

And di dyou happen to figure out family affiliation coding?

Raeven

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bruja wrote:
So mtaman says. I trust him to the extent that I have altered all the lists for all the away lot sims.yes On both my active computers.

Yes, it's been posted by a few different people (including myself) a few different times over the years but comes up again anyway so I figured an image would be helpful for more visual people than mentioning a somewhat cryptic file name.

Quote:
Yes, it works perfectly. All thr tourists turned up with names from my new lists.

Awesome! thumbsup

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Simblesse Oblige Forum Index -> Theme Players All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: