Simblesse Oblige Forum Index Simblesse Oblige
Forums for serious Simmers to share knowledge about The Sims 1

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Costume Trunk Flub

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Simblesse Oblige Forum Index -> Theme Players
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Oreocreme

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 8:22 pm    Post subject: Costume Trunk Flub Reply with quote

I know a lot of theme players have replaced skins in the costume trunk, so I thought I would post to this thread. I recently replaced the disco skins with other outfits, but yesterday when I wanted to have some sims wear the new skins, the correct .bmps were showing up, but they didn't have the correct meshes. Originally, I renamed the .bmps to correspond to the original disco costumes, then changed all relevant parts of their xskins. I didn't do anything with the .cmxs because I figured that they were referring to xskins by the same names that my new xskins now have.

I am no rookie when it comes to opening up .cmx and .xskin files and fixing the info, but things in the costume trunk look a little different than regular skins. Has anyone had this happen to them and figured out what went wrong? I am stumped at the moment.

bruja
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 1:23 am    Post subject: Re: Costume Trunk Flub Reply with quote

Oreocreme wrote:
I know a lot of theme players have replaced skins in the costume trunk, so I thought I would post to this thread. I recently replaced the disco skins with other outfits, but yesterday when I wanted to have some sims wear the new skins, the correct .bmps were showing up, but they didn't have the correct meshes. Originally, I renamed the .bmps to correspond to the original disco costumes, then changed all relevant parts of their xskins. I didn't do anything with the .cmxs because I figured that they were referring to xskins by the same names that my new xskins now have.

I am no rookie when it comes to opening up .cmx and .xskin files and fixing the info, but things in the costume trunk look a little different than regular skins. Has anyone had this happen to them and figured out what went wrong? I am stumped at the moment.

The costume trunk needs to have the meshes retain their original names. But it sounds to me as if what you did should have worked. That is, if you renamed the desired meshes exactly the same as the meshes you wanted to overwrite. And you should not have had to touch the cmx files at all.

Are the meshes you're seeing the original meshes from the disco costumes?

Did you use Bodywarp to rename the meshes to costume trunk names?

I haven't done anything to my costume trunk for a long time, and I have the original stuff in place at the moment, but I'm messing around getting ready for some new period themes, so if you can't figure it out, I could test to see if the method I wrote up years ago still works. Because who knows whether I've added an expansion since then..........

Oreocreme

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 2:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It sounds like there isn't anything tricky that I should have done that I missed. Yes, I named the new xskins exactly as the originals were named. I am not sure whether I am seeing the original disco meshes, but that is a possibility. There are gowns that look like pants, and a lot of the women's disco clothing had pants. I extracted all of the disco outfits, renamed the new skins, and put the new ones into the costume trunk folder. Why disco meshes would still be there is beyond me. I do not have Bodywarp. I did it all by hand. It took hours of painstaking work, and I am not happy about the outcome! Perhaps when I have time again, I will make copies of the original disco meshes, and then copy all the new meshes' data into the old meshes to overwrite the old data. The first time, I changed the names in the new meshes to the old disco names, leaving the data alone.

What I planned to do with these skins hinges on another object I downloaded, and that doesn't seem to be working right either, so I guess there is no rush.

bruja
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 3:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oreocreme wrote:
It sounds like there isn't anything tricky that I should have done that I missed. Yes, I named the new xskins exactly as the originals were named. I am not sure whether I am seeing the original disco meshes, but that is a possibility. There are gowns that look like pants, and a lot of the women's disco clothing had pants.

Sounds as if you're seeing the original meshes.

Quote:
I extracted all of the disco outfits, renamed the new skins, and put the new ones into the costume trunk folder. Why disco meshes would still be there is beyond me.

Costume trunk folder? I've always put my replacement costume trunk skins where the original ones were: in Expansion Pack2/Skins.

And I don't follow "extracted". The costume trunk skins aren't in a far.

I know you've read this thread before, because you've posted in it. Did you do the steps exactly as I described the way I did it? http://simblesseoblige.com/viewtopic.php?t=909

Quote:
I do not have Bodywarp. I did it all by hand.

Unless you're using a mac, you really need Bodywarp, and not just for this project.. It's way too easy to make typo errors doing everything manually. And Bodywarp has a lot of useful functions.

Quote:
Perhaps when I have time again, I will make copies of the original disco meshes, and then copy all the new meshes' data into the old meshes to overwrite the old data. The first time, I changed the names in the new meshes to the old disco names, leaving the data alone.

I have to say that I can't follow exactly what you did. To replace a bmp, you rename the bmp to match the one you want to be replaced. To replace the skn, you load the skn into BodyWarp, and save it to exactly the name of the Maxis mesh you want to be replaced. Then discard the cmx that Bodywarp makes automatically.

Then, after making sure you have a copy of Expansion Pack 2/Skins in a safe place, you move your renamed bmps into the game's Expansion Pack 2/Skins folder, overwriting the Maxis skn and bmp files.

If you have your bmps for the 3 skintones and the skn you're going to use ready, you can do a whole costume type in less than an hour, once you get your rhythm going.

If you can't get it to work for you, send me a set of the replacement skins that aren't working for you, bmp and skn, by pm, and I'll see if I can spot the problem.

You must be very discouraged, but take heart. I'm sure we can find a way to help you solve this without your having to put a huge amount of time into it. hug

Oreocreme

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 4:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bruja, I know that talking about this can be confusing. By costume trunk folder, I meant Expansion Pack 2/Skins (the folder where the costume trunk skins are). By extracted, I meant that I took the Maxis disco skins, .bmps and .xskins, out of the Expansion Pack 2/Skins folder so no remnants would be left behind. Yes, I did follow your steps in the thread, although you didn't say anything about renaming internal information in the xskin, just the name of the xskin. I renamed it everywhere that the name appeared. I wouldn't think that would have caused a problem.

I think the bottom line is that I knew what to do, I just messed up somehow. I wish I knew what I did so I knew how to fix it exactly.

Yes, I am quite disappointed right now. I had a bunch of brilliant ideas for a lot that I just finished building, and hardly anything worked right. sad

As for my not having Bodywarp, I bet if you saw how I make skins, you wouldn't believe that, either! Let's just say I can do things with Sims Creator and an old 2002 version of Microsoft Picture It that most people wouldn't think possible, but I can't figure out how to use Gimp to save my life! laugh

bruja
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll have a shot at following my own directions again, as soon as I can find a little uninterrupted time.

It's possible that I left a step out, or otherwise gave wrong information.

As for SimCreator, I have to admit that I know nothing about it. My main computer doesn't have anything other than the original game and all the expaks. My laptop does have CC, but I find trying to skin on it a real eye strain, so I've never done more than have a quick look at it.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Simblesse Oblige Forum Index -> Theme Players All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: