Simblesse Oblige Forum Index Simblesse Oblige
Forums for serious Simmers to share knowledge about The Sims 1

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Scooter: Beginner's Skin Recolour Tutorial
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Simblesse Oblige Forum Index -> Skinner's Studio
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bruja
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2006 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Extra information: If you decide that you want to use a skin you make with this tutorial, or any other of your own skins, to replace one of the NPCs that came with the game, here are some links to instructions:

Mac Users

Using IffSnooper
http://simblesseoblige.com/viewtopic.php?t=741

PC Users

Using the NPC Replacer program: http://simblesseoblige.com/viewtopic.php?t=105

Using IffPencil2:
http://www.woobsha.com/diy-npcskinningpc.html

Last edited by bruja on Sun Nov 12, 2006 3:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
bruja
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2006 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A Note on the Ethics of Recolouring

If this is your first recolour project, you might find this information useful, to avoid walking accidentally into problems:

1. The base bmp for this project was the Maxis busboy. You may post for download or submit for download your recolour of any Maxis bmp.

2. You may not post or submit for download a recolour of any other skinner's work, unless the skinner has explicitly given permission. In this case, credit should be given to the original skinner, and a link to the skinner's site.

Happy skinning! :dessina
J_Fanning

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This was a really good tutorial on how to recolor a skin. I'm dying to try this one! laugh
Is there a list of which ones exactly are the maxis skins? Has someone extracted them from the game for the same purpose, and are offering them for download somewhere?
mdamlady

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Extracting them from the game is much easier and better!!

Using "FarOut" of course!! Don't know about MAC users!!

DAM Sim 1 Objects 2

DAM Sims 1 Objects 3

DAM Sims 1 Objects 4
friedenlinde

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

but using SkinDoctor to extract skins from far is even better and faster yes laugh
mdamlady

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I forgot about that - and yeah you're right!!

As always!! laugh

DAM Sim 1 Objects 2

DAM Sims 1 Objects 3

DAM Sims 1 Objects 4
bruja
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

friedenlinde wrote:
but using SkinDoctor to extract skins from far is even better and faster yes laugh

Skin Doctor extracts/copies the bmp to the SimPose TEX folder you choose. And Skin Doctor can also be used to copy the skn to the SimPose OBJ folder where you want it. Very efficient way to copy several of each to SimPose so that you can play with them.

J_Fanning, you are minutes away from being a skinner. smile Do have a go at what was the very first Simblesse Oblige Challenge. It's 3 years old, still getting entries, and still a great way to make an easy first skin and share it with everyone here. http://simblesseoblige.com/viewtopic.php?t=801

J_Fanning

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bruja, hug
I will give it a try this weekend! And the NPC busboy's apron too. These are great! And quite easy to understand, too. Look for my tries next week! laugh
My skin doctor program quit working for me, so I'm going to have to use FarOut to extract anything, lol.
Thanks for the great link to the tutorial! biggrin
Siyankan

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

J_Fanning wrote:
Look for my tries next week! laugh

Now this I've got to see! First objects and now skins? Jacquie, m'dear you get more talented every day.

J_Fanning

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jared, I've mentioned I wanted to learn to create, and I guess I'm tired of just having my toes in the water. I've tried to get every program I may need and read/save every tutorial I could get my hands on for months. I've been playing a little this summer with creating, and was surprised I could do it. So I'm finally diving in the waters. Sure hope I can swim and I don't sink like a rock! laugh
J_Fanning

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2009 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bruja,
I followed everything, to the letter, and have come up with a pretty decent attempt. But I couldn't figure out how to load them into Simpose. I know, I know, it's something so simple I am missing. I put the skin file in the correct folder, and the bmp in the correct folder, exactly where the tutorial mentions. But when I am in Simpose, I can't figure out how to load it! surprise HELP! I know it's a very simple step I have missed, but what can it be? whistle
bruja
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2009 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. If you had SimPose loaded when you added a skn or bmp file, you either have to close then reopen SimPose OR go to File/Options/Reload file lists. SimPose can read only those files that were in it when you opened it, but the reload option is faster and easier (for me, at least) than closing and reopening SimPose. You have to reload in one of these two ways any time you add a file after you open SimPose.

2. Take a good look at the Character screen. If you're looking at Sim 1, and trying to see a male skin when the character tab is set to female adult - that could be your problem.

3. Still on the character page, set the bpdy type to 'any' and the skintone to 'any'. And uncheck the filter. That should show you everything for the adult or child sex that you've chosen.

4. Still on the character page, chose the skn you want to see for the body, then in the selection window under the body skn, chose the bmp you want to see.

If none of this works, what operating system are you using? And what version of SimPose?

J_Fanning

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2009 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will check all of these things this afternoon, when I get home. Thanks for the tips! hug

And I have the latest version of Simpose that was on their site before if closed, version 9 (maybe .? after the 9) and I am running Vista on my laptop pc. Since I bought it June 1, it's pretty current.
J_Fanning

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2009 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another silly question: I've been downloading pose libraries others have posted for use with Simpose on the internet. Do I just place these files in the folders as mentioned in the tutorial? Once I figure out how to see my Scooter and hig apron, I'd like to try that so that I may experiment with making those fakes (eventually). So many things to learn! Props, poses, etc.! I'm loving it biggrin
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Simblesse Oblige Forum Index -> Skinner's Studio All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: