Simblesse Oblige Forum Index Simblesse Oblige
Forums for serious Simmers to share knowledge about The Sims 1

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How do I edit the edges of a lot????

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jodavis

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2007 1:22 pm    Post subject: How do I edit the edges of a lot???? Reply with quote

I am trying to make a lot look like an island fot the current Coconut Hut contest and I can't seem to get it to work like I want. The outer tiles keep saying location out of bounds. I used map edit and move objects and that doesn't help. There are slopes that I can't get rid of to be able to surround the house with water. How can I do it??? Oh it is on lot 10.

Thank you!!

Joanna Davis
17mars
Owner
Owner

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2007 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you try map_edit on and move_objects on are the cheats working on other areas of the lot and just not on the edges? Ot are the cheats not working at all?
jodavis

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2007 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They work fine. It's the last edge tiles on lot 10 that face the water, I can't raise it up and one of the corners won't level out. I want the house to be surrounded with water if I lower the tiles by the water I end up with a slope where the sidewalk is and I can't seem to get rid of the sidewalk. If I raise the tiles to be level with the sidewalk then the last ones do I said above and don't raise up and I get a slope there. I tried using slope water tiles that I have but they look funny and I get a lump where they meet the top of the slope.
17mars
Owner
Owner

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2007 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just tried it and had trouble too. mad
I think this might be "one of those lots". Has anyone else at the challenge gotten around it?
I haven't gone over to look at the entries yet.
TheIms3
Owner
Owner

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2007 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could use something to cover the space, like a fake water tile that is slope-enabled, or you could edit the screenshot you take with a paint program so that the one little area that didn't work out doesn't have to wreck the look of your pictures. A lot of time for me, I can't achieve the exact look in-game that I want, but angling your shots so that things look their best can help, too. Or, you could put a clump of trees or plants in that area to kind of disguise it, using the height of the plants to cover that spot without destroying the look of an island.

What's the phrase I grasping at, a "suspension of ....", isn't it, you know, when we have to pretend in the sims that things are better or different than they are? We talked about this once regarding fireplace placement.
Man, I'm rambling.
BTW--I can't get into the Hut. Is anyone else having trouble?

"Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation. The old has passed away, Behold, the new has come."
2 Corinthians 5:17
17mars
Owner
Owner

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2007 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think they're fixing the Hut. It's been really slow and I know there was a post saying to bear with them or something because something was going on. How's that for vague? laugh But I'm sure it'll be back up soon.
Evalynda

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello everybody !

Jodavis : I saw your post and I try do do something for you.
I don't understand very well american/english but ... are you looking something like that (à peu près) blush ?

A house in an island, without edges ?
jodavis

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Evalynda that is a beautiful lot. Yes that is something like what I want to do. The problem is the very edges of the map not letting me edit them, I suppose because of adjoining lots.

If you wouldn't mind I think my sims would like to live in your house, can I get the file????? wink

joanna_l_davis@hotmail.com

I'd really appreciate it!!! thumbsup
mtaman

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could try replacing the lot with another lot that is flat and then re-landscaping it. Lots 3, 4, 58, 69, 69 would have the same orientation. http://simblesseoblige.com/viewtopic.php?t=235 is the sticky that talks about this.
Raeven

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

(Not sure if this is liked to already in that thread Mtaman mentionined but ...)
Annette's uploaded flattened lots that might do:
http://simblesseoblige.com/viewtopic.php?t=311

She does mention that some could not be flattened on the edges and that same lot you want to use probably falls into that category but it might have another you can swap in as Mtaman suggests

jodavis

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Swapping the lot is a good suggestion but for the contest I can't do that. I think I fugured out most of my problem, I had the slopes too steep and the slope water I was using wouldn't cover right. I still can't edit the two corners by the water right but I just won't show them in the photos. whistle

Thank you for all your help, I really appreciate it!!! notworthy
Evalynda

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jodavis,
how is your work for the Coconut Hut contest ? whistle
jodavis

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2007 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm still working on it. I misread the directions and I have to do over part of what I had done. blush I am hoping I will have it done in time, if my kids will just leave me alone long enough..... jfade's psycho I'll let you know when I'm done.

I still can't get those two corners, I guess it's just an ornery lot angry
Bedawyn

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Necrothread, I know, sorry. :-) But since I found the thread to read years later, others might too, so I thought I'd add my two cents for reference' sake.

I'm pretty sure it's not a problem with the lot itself, but with, as Jodavis guessed, adjoining tiles. Certain types of edits, such as flattening slopes and drawing walls, affect not only the tile where you're working but the tiles around it. If one of those adjoining tiles doesn't actually exist, because you're already on the edge of the lot, you won't be able to make the edit. Edits that don't affect adjoining tiles, such as laying fake water, should be fine.

No, I don't spend too much time with map_edit, really I don't. blush
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Simblesse Oblige Forum Index -> General All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: