Simblesse Oblige Forum Index Simblesse Oblige
Forums for serious Simmers to share knowledge about The Sims 1

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Little homemade aids for object creation
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Simblesse Oblige Forum Index -> Object Creation and Recolor Shop
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bubblvicous

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 4:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Raeven wrote:
I'd mentioned elsewehere that the little template for making thumbnails could be found in this thread but since I was mistaken here 'tis :)

Woo Hoo thank you Raeven!! And thank you everyone else for sharing your tps and trcks with us newbies as well.

eisbaer

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2006 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is another very easy way to make thumbnails. Not long ago, I have some problems with my sims and I wanted to reinstall them. As a backup I completely renamed my Maxis folder and put the original SimsCD in to overinstall my sims. As I accepted, I could installed the SIms (Vanilla Game) without removing my other ful installed game *yeh*, than I remembere somthing I read long time ago.

I renamed my SimsVanilla folder and saved it on a other place on my harddrive. So I know Have two vision of my sims installed, Vanilla and complet vision :grin:

The vanilla vision generates automatically thumbnails, so I moved my completly downloads to it and know all my DL have THumbnails *yeah* make in half an hour :lol: for nearly two Gigs *rofl*

annettebrks

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2006 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eisbaer, I am SO glad you posted that! I've wondered whether that would work or not but was afraid to try it. I'll have to give that a shot in the very near future. It would be so handy to have a vanilla base game on my computer too!
ruthml

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I meant to post this before but somehow forgot to. The compass with the bears shows how NE & SE are the front views and NW & SW are the back views. I found it difficult to remember things like this at first :) It also shows just what is the angle for the rotations, so you don't paste your new object image on the sprite at the wrong angle.

The 2nd picture of compass and jug clutter, and prepping hamburger images is for 4 rotation objects. Small 4 rotation objects can be tricky to get right if you're just working in the P sprite - I've found it very easy to get confused! By arranging the parts of the object on this aid, you can get all the views correct before moving them onto the P sprites.

normal maxis rotations.jpg
 Description:
this shows the front & back views
 Filesize:  30.45 KB
 Viewed:  7480 Time(s)

normal maxis rotations.jpg

4rotation guide.jpg.gif
 Description:
Get all the bits in the right place for the 4 views
 Filesize:  10.11 KB
 Viewed:  7480 Time(s)

4rotation guide.jpg.gif

eisbaer

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ruth I remember that, too yes you posted this help already. Isn't it strange, I also has often the feeling that some post get lost somewhere. I am often so sure I reply to some threads and when I go there my post is gone.

eisbaer

ruthml

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oops! have i posted this one??? ehhhh blush

Poetica

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I made this graphic to help someone learn how to use one of my bases.

But I think your teddy bear graphic would probably be more helpful. laugh

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Previously I had posted a compass diagram showing what I thought were the correct angles for a sim prepping food Well I was wrong!! sad mad I had my views mixed up which just caused me 2 weeks of pulling my hair out! But here now is the correct diagram letting you know which angle is which when a sim is prepping food.

4-Rotations.gif
 Description:
Chopping food in 4 rotations - this shows what each view of the food being prepped (NW, NE, SE, SW) looks like in the game.
 Filesize:  77.57 KB
 Viewed:  7391 Time(s)

4-Rotations.gif

Last edited by ruthml on Mon Jan 22, 2007 7:17 am; edited 3 times in total
Madoria

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anette !

Quote:
It would be so handy to have a vanilla base game on my computer too!

I actually have a vanilla game for my thumbnail generating and it works just as long as you remember this:

If you have 2 different installments - never start the vanilla game from the cd. Make a shortcut to it on your desktop and give it a name such as Vanilla or something . Make sure the right cd is in when you wanna use the vanilla game.

The thumbnail came a long with Unleashed and the reason is that the game still generates the thumbs for each new item in game but when closing the game it no longer saves the thumbs in the iff files.

I discovered that Double Deluxe actually also suffers from not making any
thumbs as the game treats it as an expack of its own and beeing issued after Unleashed in the time frame.

I also discovered that adding Hot Date to Double Deluxe made the game
starting to save the thumbnails again...jfade's psycho

When installing my new discdrive in Dec 05 I first installed a vanilla game with only the Sims - renamed that folder to My Vanilla game and then
installed DD + HD . I was on the look for MM so I prepared for that.

Susanne
mtaman

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's what my shortcut is called: Simsvanilla. laugh

This principle Madoria suggests works wonderfully for me as well. I'm so glad I bought the Sims from E-bay for $.99 for this purpose.
wotty

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

here are a couple of files I made for using with 3dmax to get objects at the correct angle

this goes in your 3d max\scenes folder and sets up an empty scene with the user viewport at the correct angle for making sim objects: 3dmax simscene

don't worry if it says anything about obsolete data, that's just because this was created with max2.5. it should be compatable with all later versions, you just need to resave the scene after opening it to get rid of that error

and this background image is scaled to fit exactly in the user viewport (at the default 4 window sizes) and can be used to set up the view angle

simnut1

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, for my very first of what I'm sure will be many questions here... Is there any way of taking the 3D grid and putting it into Anim8? I'm new to that program and I don't have a clue as to how to install something like that grid, but I know it would be very handie. blush
mtaman

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can make a column WIDTH=x=45 , HIGH=y=135 and DEPTH=z=45. That is the size of a square in the Sims.

To get the Sims skew make sure you are looking on the front of your object,
In front view go to Rotate / custom and the x to 75:00
then go and change the view to Ortho and zoom in or out until you have got the right size ( quite small for clutter stuff) . Render the pic and save that as an bmp.
Then one can rotate 180 degrees to get the back view of an item / clutter as well.

There are links to Anim8or tutorials in the first post of http://simblesseoblige.com/viewtopic.php?t=514
simnut1

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 4:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Mtaman! I'm going to check out the links for the Anim8or tutorials right now! ... Well after I write down ... WIDTH=x=45 , HIGH=y=135 and DEPTH=z=45! notworthy
ess

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2007 4:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

eisbaer wrote:
There is another very easy way to make thumbnails. Not long ago, I have some problems with my sims and I wanted to reinstall them. As a backup I completely renamed my Maxis folder and put the original SimsCD in to overinstall my sims. As I accepted, I could installed the SIms (Vanilla Game) without removing my other ful installed game *yeh*, than I remembere somthing I read long time ago.

I renamed my SimsVanilla folder and saved it on a other place on my harddrive. So I know Have two vision of my sims installed, Vanilla and complet vision :grin:

The vanilla vision generates automatically thumbnails, so I moved my completly downloads to it and know all my DL have THumbnails *yeah* make in half an hour :lol: for nearly two Gigs *rofl*

I saw this thread quite some time ago and tried doing it--who wouldn't want a quick easy way to generate thumbnails? But, alas, I could never get my second "SimsVanilla" game to work properly on my computer. So I put it out of my mind...UNTIL I hit the dreaded d/l limit. Monkey Trumpets!
So I decided (being the clever individual that I am) to put a Sims Vanilla on my laptop, since I am fortunate enough to have it. Well, it didnt work! The game didn't generate thumbnails! Darn...

Then it hit me, I used Sims DX! Ach du leiber.

So I dug out my old original sims disk, blew off the dust and started again. But it didn't work! Oh woe was me! No thumbnails were generated. So I went back and re read this thread and whined and pulled my hair out (well, the gray ones, anyway).

And then it hit me.

My objects were set as "Read Only"

Once I removed that restriction, the game was able to generate beautiful thumbnails in a manner of seconds. Couple this with the technique to "prune" the extra bmps and Bango! I've already gone from 2.89GB to 2.71 GB and I'm nowhere near done pruning!

So don't forget, boys and girls, your files can't be "Read Only" for this to work!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Simblesse Oblige Forum Index -> Object Creation and Recolor Shop All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: