Simblesse Oblige Forum Index Simblesse Oblige
Forums for serious Simmers to share knowledge about The Sims 1

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Experiment in simanthropology
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Simblesse Oblige Forum Index -> Theme Players
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KarinL

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's what I do usually. My placeholder Sims tend to be 'different' - i.e. they use Rubenesque or FLO or similiar meshes, or they'll be 'little people' (adults shrunk to child size), or in some of my games they're fantasy creatures that I move to Magic Town when I'm done with them.

Because I play a lot of apartments, and the family always have the apartment name as their last name, I need placeholder Sims when my Sims want to move from an apartment to a regular lot.

At the moment I'm playing Levittown. I shelved the clean-up/download purge of my other horcruxes for now. At the moment I haven't got the head for it (too many personal issues).
So I guess I don't have to do anything complicated, 1950's tradition seems to fit the game code perfectly... laugh

Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yersinia wrote:
bruja wrote:
Into a Spare unhoused family in the hood. If the family gets too big, delete it and start a new Spare family of one.

I don't have spare unhoused sims like that, so I guess I'd put the placeholder sim in with the Townies, Tourists or Stranges when I was done with him?

~Yersinia.

All you have to do is set up a family (1 person) called Spare or Whatever, in the Create-A-Family area. Then don't move the family into a house.

When you need to split a family, for instance, you create a new family with the name of Goth Jr, then create Placeholder Goth Jr. You move Placeholder Goth Jr. onto a lot, then move Cassandra in with him.

Then you move Placeholder into the unhoused Spare family (which is still in the Create-a Family area), and Voila: now you have Cassandra Goth Jr. living on her own, with all her friendships, etc. intact. (You will need to turn her into an adult, or find some other way to keep her fed. That wouldn't be a problem if you were moving an adult out on her own.)

Yersinia

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 12:36 pm    Post subject: ~Yerisnia Reply with quote

bruja wrote:
Yersinia wrote:
bruja wrote:
Into a Spare unhoused family in the hood. If the family gets too big, delete it and start a new Spare family of one.

I don't have spare unhoused sims like that, so I guess I'd put the placeholder sim in with the Townies, Tourists or Stranges when I was done with him?

~Yersinia.

All you have to do is set up a family (1 person) called Spare or Whatever, in the Create-A-Family area. Then don't move the family into a house.

When you need to split a family, for instance, you create a new family with the name of Goth Jr, then create Placeholder Goth Jr. You move Placeholder Goth Jr. onto a lot, then move Cassandra in with him.

Then you move Placeholder into the unhoused Spare family (which is still in the Create-a Family area), and Voila: now you have Cassandra Goth Jr. living on her own, with all her friendships, etc. intact. (You will need to turn her into an adult, or find some other way to keep her fed. That wouldn't be a problem if you were moving an adult out on her own.)

Ohhhhhh......OK. Hmmmmmm.

Thanks. smile

~Yersinia.

"Hand over the coffee and no one gets hurt."
bruja
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been on a minor skinning kick for the last couple of days. I've produced a lot of bmps with Maxis faces, some slightly altered, but added a wild variety of hair textures in various hues, then spent hours trying them on meshes, trying to find a mesh for each bmp, and sometimes putting the same bmp on 3 or 4 meshes. By this evening, I'll probably have at least a thousand new heads.

Now all I have to do is replace the far files in my CC game on my laptop with the fars from which I've stripped all the Maxis bmps, make sure that I have the minimal set of bodies in that game, and populate a new hood. Then I can create a new test family or two, and have a look at whichever of the heads the game throws up for the Townies, Stranges, etc. Maybe I should do this in snall batches, so that I can see more of them.

And maybe while I'm at it, i should test my collection of new medieval heads. and get around to making a few more regency heads, and test those.........

There's a lot to be said for having a game installation that I can strip and use only for testing. smile

Quite a lot of the Zhu'ur in the Zarathu'us theme seem to have green or purple tinged hair. I wonder how it will look in the game.

Sita

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rambling a little off-topic here, I'm doing a similar experiment with my Sims 2 sims in Strangetown. These are alien Sims as well... wonder why we think of aliens as more likely to do something different socially? laugh

We were (hubby and I) thinking about this this morning - and noting that at least in some classes in the UK we are effectively a matriarchal society but without the support that ideally a matriarchal society would give to the mothers. Lots of single parent mums, fathers who disappear, etc. And the kids are growing up bratty and unsupported by their overstretched mothers - maybe the answer is that the single mums should be moving back to their mothers' homes with the children. Extended families are SUCH an attractive proposition, says she who has a very unextended family in RL. But we see things in RL - like in the last few days in a town near here, a young man burned down his ex-gf's home killing both their children. Just out of jealousy. "If I can't have them, no-one else will." Which to me is a result of the patriarchal "possession" of wives and children.

Anyhoo, in my Sims 2, the matriarch is a Queen, and her destiny is to produce as many children as possible who are alien (the aliens don't always breed true when they marry "human" Sims.) Other alien females will handle the politics and other necessaries of the town, once they are grown up, and one is designated Queen-in-Waiting.

What I was wondering is - do you have difficulty with Sim-jealousy in this scenario? At least in Sims 2, my Queen, Chloe, has usually to "dispose" of her husbands after use, or they constantly start fights. Unless I use a hack to avoid jealousy and then that applies to the whole game, where I don't want it to.

I suppose my answer is to make a whole new game for the aliens, but I quite like cherry-picking the handsomest of the bunch of Townies for the breeding programme.

Is the answer that matriarchy needs the WHOLE society's backing to work?

MODS - if this is the wrong place to say this please do move it :)

In Sadorandom Probability, if you have a 50% chance of getting the desired result, then the undesirable result will happen 90% of the time. That's Life as we know it, Jim.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Yersinia

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like this was a good enough place for me, Sita.

Interesting alien Queen you got there ...just wondering though, how come you don't want to use the no jealousy hack elsewhere in your game, just for the Queen and her "family"?

I use the No Jealousy hack in both my installations (and will be including it from the get-go when I start up ta'Valsh). Personally I think it could be made a little "stronger" but it's better than nothing. Um hmmmm, maybe I could also open it up, read the code and try to see how it works? Then maybe I could make a stronger one.

~Yersinia.

Sita

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I don't actually LIKE the no jealousy hack, in general... my Sims are - well, an affectionate bunch, and jealousy kind of keeps them out of mischief. Most of the time. These are Sims 2 Sims, and the flirting does seem to happen autonomously in Sims 2.

I will put up some pictures of Chloe and her family soon, on Simechoes.

In Sadorandom Probability, if you have a 50% chance of getting the desired result, then the undesirable result will happen 90% of the time. That's Life as we know it, Jim.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Yersinia

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 6:21 pm    Post subject: Re: ~Yerisnia Reply with quote

Yersinia wrote:
bruja wrote:
Yersinia wrote:
bruja wrote:

~Yersinia.

Ohhhhhh......OK. Hmmmmmm.

Thanks. smile

~Yersinia.

OK gotta bump this up because even though I saved it on my own computer, it no longer makes total sense to me and now I'm finally ready to split up these 7 sims to their own lots (and hoods).

So: if I create a placeholder sim (with the correct line name), move him into a house, move the intended sim in with a move plant -- after the intended sim moves in, how do I get the placeholder sim to go back into the Select-a-Family area so I can use him again? That is, what do I point and click on, or how do I use which move-in plant to do it?

Thanks!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Simblesse Oblige Forum Index -> Theme Players All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: