Simblesse Oblige Forum Index Simblesse Oblige
Forums for serious Simmers to share knowledge about The Sims 1

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Sites/Objects with known flaws (aka: Fix 'em First)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Simblesse Oblige Forum Index -> Novice's Nook and Reference Materials
View previous topic :: View next topic  
17mars
Owner
Owner

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 8:01 pm    Post subject: Sites/Objects with known flaws (aka: Fix 'em First) Reply with quote

This is simply intended as informational.

There are many sites or objects or skins (in particular, old ones) that have known issues. Now, as our community shrinks, those known issues aren't as commonly known.

Feel free to list here issues you have found with different items. This gives people a heads up in case they add them into their game or try to clone them.

Please note: If a new site or current creator is producing objects without a magic cookie number or has items with problems, please contact that creator directly so they can fix the problem. This thread is for historic issues.
17mars
Owner
Owner

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sleepy Hollow Sims (closed but still available on CD)-

Objects from this site were made without magic cookie numbers. (Check for conflicts before running)

Re-named skins will produce duplicates in your game. (Check for skins with same number but different name)

At least one table has "vacation shuffle" bug not fixed by patched game or later eps. (Clone new vacation table and patch on sprites from SH table)

Last edited by 17mars on Fri Jun 22, 2007 8:17 pm; edited 3 times in total
17mars
Owner
Owner

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Double Windows causing lot "Go Slows"or crashes

Some sites cloned an early double zouak window base from Travels with Buddha before the original file was repaired. Objects cloned from the early flawed base will cause lots to run slow or crash.

An easy repair is to clone the current working zouak window and swap out the sprites from the dodgy one with T-mog.
ruthml

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've discovered the following objects have object ID problems.
They may not cause a problem in your game, but either these are one-off problems (eg Miss Mokie) or else there's a consistent object ID conflict occurring as I've found it more than once (eg Xomtek)

Xomtek's cars & furturistic windows

Naughty Girl beds - the one I've fixed was LRChocolateSparkleFSGIBed678077.iff but I've never been able to use any beds from that set (there's a few colour variations) so they must all have the problem. (so I'd better go and fix the rest - they're lovely looking beds!)

2 of Miss Mokie's tiki objects: mokietikiminigolfbamboo.iff & mokietikiopenmic.iff

SAC

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 6:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Atmosphere

Sheesh Mahal Double Windows and Turquoise Build Items, (the latter is the same windows as the first listed, although turquoise), from Atmosphere's "Wayfarings", section India & Environs, are all cloned from an original window base from Travels With Buddha.

Using these double arched windows in your game may cause lots to behave oddly, (go slow, disappearing graphics all over, etc). Do note that this doesn't refer to the single arched windows from the same sets listed above.
ruthml

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've discovered these objects do not have a magic cookie in them. They might cause object ID conflicts in your game (ie crashing).

The fastest way to fix this is to clone them in tmog (using your magic cookie).

If you have Sim Object manager3D, you can scroll through your folders and see if any objects have "0" in the magic cookie ID field. This means there is no magic cookie number in this object and it has a greater potential to cause an Object ID conflict.

Xomtek's wine set
Secret Sims Mediterranean bathroom
A lot of Sim Gypsy's Tamson House set
TASims fireplaces
Sim Tahera's vegetable market set
Roman Sims
Sim Antiquities
Honey B's British set
Yvette Whelan's objects
Openlea's objects
some of Virtuella's Bazaar objects
Secret Sims tombstone bed

ruthml

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 4:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another @#$% Sim Site has a plug in French Maid npc.

This is a phone plug in maid. However there is an error naming the body skin for the maid and if you try to use it, the head shows up correctly but the body is all white.

Fix this by: Open up the body skn file in Notepad.
The 2nd line inside the skn files refers to the name of the body bmp. This is where the error is, as the wrong bmp name has been entered.

Change the 2nd line so it reads "B_j76RisqueMaid" instead of the incorrect "B_j76NaughtyMaid" Click on the "X" in the right hand corner and save the skn file.

The French Maid will now appear correctly in your game.

Last edited by ruthml on Fri Jul 11, 2008 5:02 am; edited 1 time in total
ruthml

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 4:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another @#$% Sim Site also has a spunky fireman (he doesn't wear a shirt). But there are errors with the way the NPC's skins have been named, thus the fireman will not show up correctly.

Fix this by:

Changing the file name of the body bmp to : b472MAfitmed_Hot

Open up the body mesh in Notepad and entering the bmp name on the 2nd line - instead of the "x" which is incorrect. Click on the X in the top right corner to close and save the skn file correctly.

Change the name of the cmx file name from b472MAfit_Fire to b472MAfit_Hot

The fireman will now show up correctly.

bruja
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheap Frills

Some (possibly all) of Finger Mouse's objects were made with a 0 Magic Cookie.

17mars
Owner
Owner

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vicki's Sparkling Sims-
Many of the doors are incorrectly categorized which means they may not show up in your game or they may cause crashes.
Check each door file with Sim Cat and be sure the door is only categorized for Build OR Buy but not for both at the same time. If it is set up for both, problems will occur.
Gonewiththesim21

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 1:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

so the art noveau chair from savage sims and grandmas stove from girm sims have id conflicts and will crash you game
JimmyZ

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't remember where I got it from, but I have a salvia bush that keeps causing glitches.

So long as I don't click on it it's usually ok, but sometimes scrolling past it will make it turn up on all of my 'buy' screens in place of whatever object is in the same slot it occupies in my plants.

What is a drag is I have it in a .far file of things I previously rescued, and for some reason I can't seem to delete it or extract it. I don't want to lose all the other stuff in the .far so I'm kinda stuck with it.

I also have an Asian window I believe I got from -what were they? Bxr or someodd? an otherwise really cool site that has closed. Anyway, if I try to put it on anything the game crashes.

So I just don't use it. End of problem. smile

The little leaf that falls
All brown and sere to earth,
Ere long will mingle with the buds
That give the flower its birth.
AbbyCat

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Remember the frustration I was having with certain objects not showing up in SE Object Manager: http://www.simblesseoblige.com/viewtopic.php?t=9139

Well, after doing a little more "research" at N99, I discovered the cause of that problem--the objects I was trying to categorize are missing primary OBJD segments, and therefore, SE Object Manager cannot categorize them.

I'm mentioning it in this thread because it was Gookabee's files I was primarily having problems with; apparently, a lot of her things, for some reason, do not have primary OBJD segments.

Her objects will mostly work fine in the game, but they cannot be categorized that easily. While this usually isn't a problem with most of her stuff, it is for some of it. For example, she has several deco store items that cannot be categorized for away-from-home lots, even though your more likely to want to use these items on non-residential lots.

However, there are a couple of known ways to get around this. One way would be to "fix" the files with Iff Pencil. You can find instructions in this thread: http://starlightsims.yuku.com/reply/196047#reply-196047 (N99 registration required.)

Or, alternately, you can categorize the objects with the Maxis categorizing tool, Hot Date Object Organizer, which you can DL here: http://www.simprograms.com/the-sims/the-sims-1/the-sims-programs/programs-the-sims-object-editors/. However, you will only be able to categorize objects for residential and Downtown lots.
socrstchik

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is also SimOrganizer (at TSR). It will handle missing files with primary OBJD segments just fine. I've had one file not work, but I don't remember what it was or where it was from.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Simblesse Oblige Forum Index -> Novice's Nook and Reference Materials All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: