Simblesse Oblige Forum Index Simblesse Oblige
Forums for serious Simmers to share knowledge about The Sims 1

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

My game crashes every time I switch...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Simblesse Oblige Forum Index -> Theme Players
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KarinL

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 12:38 pm    Post subject: My game crashes every time I switch... Reply with quote

Every time I switch themes in my game, I end up having crashes during loading...

I know after I built my Tiki hood, my game would crash unless I left Miss Mokie's Tiki wand charger in the game...

Now I switched from my spooky hood to my modern one - I simply replaced my Game Data folder with the one I saved when I quit the modern hood to play Spooky a few weeks ago, but the game crashed on loading.
It did start when I put back my Spooky Game Data. But I don't want to keep all those user objects in my game, because it's waaaay too slow loading with that whole bulk of downloads (besides which, I can't find anythim in my buy catalog which is now cluttered up with pumpkins... LOL!)

Has anyone ever heard of this problem? Any ideas on what causes this to happen? The wand charger for instance, is a very ordinary item and I never even had it on any of my lots...
And I'm sure once I figure out which object it is in the Spooky theme, it's probably something equally silly...

Would it be possible, for instance, to make a bush or something with the same GUID to have in my game all the time?

Karin
eisbaer

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jup, it occured to me, too. When I put out all my DL, my game is crashing. Recently I could narrow it down to my MissMokie and Missiesworld folder. I discovered, that both have from the wandcharger cloned objects. And when I think over it now, with your observations, maybe it could be the wandcharger for adults. I have to try that.

eisbaer

Last edited by eisbaer on Sat Aug 16, 2008 12:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
KarinL

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, in my case for the Tiki Hood is the wand charger and the charm maker from Miss Mokie. Once I've played my Tiki Hood I cannot take those two out of the game without having it crash!!

Last time I did a re-install, but I don't want to keep re-installing. For one thing, I'd lose some of my ghosts if I had to import the FAM file instead of just putting the User Data folder back...

For my Spooky Hood I have it narrowed down to the .far file with Deviant Sims Witch House objects - and I know there's a wand charger and maybe also a charm maker in that .far file.

I'm going to do more testing, see if I can narrow it down to one or two files... If I'm right, I guess there's a bug with cloned charm makers and adult wand chargers???

Karin
KarinL

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried it out, and there are three objects that I can't take out of my downloads any longer:
cree1witchcharmmaker.iff
cree3wandcharger.iff
rougue_wandcharger.iff

A few months ago, prior to my last re-install, I experienced a similar problem with these two items:
mokietikicharmmaker.iff
mokietikiwandcharger.iff

So I guess that once you have put any cloned adult wand charger or charm maker into your game and played, the game will no longer run without...

Well, now that I know what it is, I think I'll just make a folder for them and put them in my game permanently.
Thanks, Eisbaer, for telling me about your similar problems - it saved me loads of time that I started with testing just the wand chargers and charm makers instead of going trhough all my downloads one by one!

I'm still curious about what causes this, though...

Karin
weckar

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I might have an idea... I have a feeling that spells look for the object that created them to confirm MM is installed. Since it can't find the GUID of the object that created the spells, it results to crashing?

Just my take on this rolleyes

eisbaer

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

but up to know, I haven't used missies wand changer. and it also appears in my "empty" game, where I never play and just test things. so the object is even not build in any house.

eisbaer

weckar

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm just trying to make sense of things... blush
eisbaer

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorry, don't take that personal. it is my way of discussion. it was a good comment, I just have more infos to add. I still don't want to exclude your idea, because in my oppinion it must be something like that you have discribed.

that is the way it is going, feel free to say everything that pop up in your head for the solution of the problem. any detail, and may it be ever so small could be important

At the moment I am trying tto identify the objects that causes the crashes in my game.

eisbaer

eisbaer

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, here comes my testing results. It looks like that it is the same problem like you have Karen.

I could narrow it down to clones from the wandcharger and the spellmaker. And a file called liugnognome.iff but I have no idea what this is doing. But this object I had tested in game, so.

I am off to bed now. Looking forward if someone comes up with a solution what cause the problem.

eisbaer

crashingthegame.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  22.66 KB
 Viewed:  8676 Time(s)

crashingthegame.jpg

KarinL

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a gnognome, which is some kind of hacked garden-gnome. I'm not sure what it is or what it does, but it's from this site:

http://mistymage.com/gnohmongoodies/misc.html

I have never cast a spell yet. In fact, I did have the Deviant wand charger and charm maker in my game (came with a downloaded lot) but I never used either.

The Miss Mokie ones were in my downloads at one point, but I never even put them on a lot. I never used Rougue's on any of my lots either.
I'm not even sure for the Tiki version that I even had a Sim with a wand in his/her inventory... surprise

I do think Weckar has a point though, the only thing connecting all these objects is that they are all magic/spell related. They must al have internal references to the same files...
It's just very strange, because I haven't done a bit of magic yet.

Karin (off to bed, too - it's 1.30 a.m. here...)
ruthml

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Karin, do you have a magic cookie and Tmog (or Iffsnooper)? What happens if you clone those objects. I'm just wondering about the GUIDS - it would be simple to eliminate a GUID conflict by cloning the problem objects.

KarinL

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I clone them and take out the originals, the game crashes. (I tried that already). Somehow, as soon as I have played even a Sim minute with the wand chargers/charm makers in the game, the game suddenly can't do without. Even though I'm *not* doing magic.

I'm terrified that if I play with my cloned wand charger in the game, I will end up with yet another 'can't throw out' wand charger. :D :D

I can't find GUID conflicts in my installed custom content. The wand chargers have different GUIDs. It might have to do with the original GUID, which is stored somewhere in the clones??

Karin
Raeven

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have just (quickly) tested and clones of charmmakerkid.iff result in the same problem.
Gonewiththesim21

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i noticed this a real common problem with any clone or copy of the wand charger or charm maker and no one can seem to identify the problem, i wonder if this is true of the ones from parsimonious and ssw one
Raeven

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not entirely sure what you mean y identifying the problem ... I thought Karin and Eisbaer did a wonderful job of that in this thread.

The issue is inherited from the maxis originals so yes, it is true of the Parsimonious ones (and any that don't state otherwise). There isn't an ssw one, you must the replacement charms. Those are separate from the charm making machine. Admittedly I never did try uninstalling the replacement charms so would not have noticed if they had a similar problem but I've never heard of any cloned charms having the problem. I wont be releasing any charmmaker.iff, wandcharger.iff, or charmmakerkid.iff clones until I am sure I have fixed that problem.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Simblesse Oblige Forum Index -> Theme Players All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: