Simblesse Oblige Forum Index Simblesse Oblige
Forums for serious Simmers to share knowledge about The Sims 1

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

I backed up! it's been... like 3 years...

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ruthml

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 9:39 pm    Post subject: I backed up! it's been... like 3 years... Reply with quote

It's taken me 2 days over the long weekend to back up data, but I've finally finished backing up stuff on my laptop. I was testing fate severely as it's been at least 3 years since I've done any proper backing up. That's a lot of photoshop files and although I haven't been download crazy I have still managed to get content anyway.

Now I'm wondering whether to uninstall and re-install the game - it was only being used for testing/minimal play without any glaring issues - or just jump in and try loading up the contents for a hood. It's been so long, I'm a little nervous!

bruja
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 1:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why not move your test game to another folder, then do a new install in the normal folder?
ruthml

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 3:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good point! I didn't think of that. Well I just moved stuff out instead - (couldn't face the total uninstall/reinstall thing). Found various themed skins folders etc I'd started and decided to keep going....

Yersinia

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 4:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So how did it go? smile

"Hand over the coffee and no one gets hurt."
17mars
Owner
Owner

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad you're back! smile
ruthml

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 3:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hiya all,

well I thought I'd start a medieval/fantasy/witchy/magicky kind of hood cos I always wanted to do that but never got around to it in the past.

Got as far as doing the skins folder, then decided to make some families to play with. Now I need more interesting heads then what exists currently. Iv'e also decided the Maxis families can stay but they just need to be made over to fit in with this theme. It's going to take a while...

patos

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have fun! hug
bruja
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ruthml wrote:
Hiya all,

well I thought I'd start a medieval/fantasy/witchy/magicky kind of hood cos I always wanted to do that but never got around to it in the past..

When I got my newest computer, I decided to follow 17mars's idea and have separate games.

I installed The sims, in case I ever needed it for testing, then moved it to another folder.

Then I installed CC, copied the game folder, pasted it to another folder Medieval., deleted all the folders and fars that contain Maxis bmps, and replaced them with the folders are fars from which I had stripped the Maxis bmps. (Expansion Shared had to stay, because I haven't yet found a way to populate a hood without having it in place.)

I also deleted User Data Folders 3-8, because I won't need them in theme games, and can replace them later, when/if I do. And I deleted the Patch folder from UserData and UserData 1 and 2, to avoid the generation of the Maxis families. Even if I'd been going to leave the human families, or some of them in, I'd have removed the Stray family. Once they populate the hood, there seems to be no way of ever getting rid of them.

Now the Medieval folder contained a basic game without skins. I copied that game and pasted it into other folders like Regency, Zhu'ur (my future theme), Magic, and Blank. If I need a new theme, I'll copy the game in Blank to make it.

I've been filling the Skins folder for each theme carefully, using my checklist to make sure that I have all the required skins of each type, including buyables. I'm using only skins that I have already checked in another game.

As I have time, I'm slowly adding objects I've downloaded to theme User Objects.

When I have to sit about but have my laptop, I'm building on it a whole set of replacement Live.iff files, with new names for all the game-created Sims. The Regency one was finished first, so I've replaced that file in the new game.

I have folders where I've been saving heads I've made for each theme. I started on the Regency heads in the summer of 2008, and I made some male heads that I really like for that theme last fall. I now have almost enough Regency skins to be ready to populate UserData in that theme.

Will all this work? Will I actually ever be able to play? Possibly laugh

I'm the queen of delayed gratification yes Working toward long term goals that require a lot of learning makes me happy.smile

ruthml wrote:
Got as far as doing the skins folder, then decided to make some families to play with. Now I need more interesting heads then what exists currently. Iv'e also decided the Maxis families can stay but they just need to be made over to fit in with this theme. It's going to take a while...

Take a while, eh? yes

Make some heads on meshes that you like for medieval. I've made hundreds of heads for theme play, and it's a lot of fun. Very few of them exist anywhere except in one of my test games. My simming time has been limited and disjointed, so what has dropped to the bottom of the list is the routine work of making preview shots and zips to offer for download. Maybe someday. Right now, I'm learning to make clones of things that require new NPCs.

ruthml wrote:
Got as far as doing the skins folder

That's the big one that most people never get past. Yet it's so much fun to have a game that looks right!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Simblesse Oblige Forum Index -> General All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: