Simblesse Oblige Forum Index Simblesse Oblige
Forums for serious Simmers to share knowledge about The Sims 1

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Gender roles in The Sims
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
diome

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What comes to the pets it has always kind of disturbed me that I can't find out who exactly are the parents when there are several animals of the same breed. rolleyes There must have been a seriously inbred puppy at least once, since the original cocker spaniel couple had a puppy which then had a puppy of her own. So she must have bred with her father, as he was the only male of the household. Or if she bred with her mother it wouldn't have been any better. laugh
bruja
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

anoush wrote:
I don't know if it was a glitch. But it asked if they wanted a baby after kissing h

I had that happen in my original game, to Mortimer and Bella Goth.

AbbyCat

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frankly, I love that the sexes are equal in the Sims. The Sims world is completely gender-blind (as well as race-blind), save for gay marriage (which can be fixed with the SiMale hack), and that's the way things should be. I wish our world was more like the Sims world in this regard.

However, if you want the Sims world to be more like our heterosexist, white-supremacist patriarchy, there are ways to do that. Of course, there's the aforementioned Simslice hack that makes adult female Sims walk "dainty and feminine" *barf* like they did before Unleashed. And, Sims Levittown (available at N99) had many hacks that enforced 1950s gender roles in Sims families (You know the deal--men work, cheat, and party, and women do housework, make babies, and take anti-depressants. Oh, the Good Old Days! rolleyes ).

Of course, I would never use any of the above hacks, and I honestly wouldn't recommend that anyone else do so (Not counting the gay marriage one, of course! biggrin ), but if you want your game to be sexist, then you have options. And, that's all I have to say on that.
Thalia

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, AbbyCat, you are warming the cockles of this bitter old radfem's heart. :)

What I love about the gender equality in the Sims is that it all makes sense from a technical standpoint. All the adults are the same height, and they all use the same animations; dividing it up into stereotypical male and female would have meant twice as much work. It's just simpler to treat them all equally.

Wish the rest of the world would cotton on to that. :)

Also fat people aren't discriminated against in the Sims. Now, okay, their 'fat' isn't really, and labelling the mid-range 'fit' is a bit problematic, because there are plenty of fat (and skinny) people in the real world who are also fit, but, still, in the game play they aren't treated any differently either. It really is just about what the Sim/person is doing, and not what they look like.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isn't that different in Sims 2, though? That by eating certain foods, your Sim can, er, grow sideways?
AbbyCat

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2011 2:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thalia wrote:
What I love about the gender equality in the Sims is that it all makes sense from a technical standpoint. All the adults are the same height, and they all use the same animations; dividing it up into stereotypical male and female would have meant twice as much work. It's just simpler to treat them all equally.

Exactly. smile Of course, knowing that, I still wonder why it took them until the last EP to have adult female Sims walk the same as adult male Sims. First, there was the "dainty" walk from the base game through Vacation and then, the "gorilla" walk from Unleashed & Superstar. It wasn't until Makin' Magic that they finally did away with the separate adult female walking style and had the women walk just like the men. Wouldn't it have made more sense to just have adult Sims of both genders walk the same way from day 1?

Thalia wrote:
Also fat people aren't discriminated against in the Sims. Now, okay, their 'fat' isn't really, and labelling the mid-range 'fit' is a bit problematic, because there are plenty of fat (and skinny) people in the real world who are also fit, but, still, in the game play they aren't treated any differently either. It really is just about what the Sim/person is doing, and not what they look like.

That's pretty much true as well, although I think fat & skinny Sims still face discrimination in one area--available meshes! laugh It's no secret that the vast majority of nice custom meshes out there are for fit Sims. Strangely, though, this is a form of size discrimination that seems to hurt skinny Sims more than fat Sims. While fit meshes are dominant, I still seem to see more pretty fat outfits (both regular & Rubenesque) than I do skinny ones. I've had to resort to converting fit meshes to skinny (w/ Bodywarp) just to have non-Maxian outfits for my skinny Sims. I'd probably also do the same for fat Sims if I had a warpfile that also converted meshes from fit to fat.
purplewowies

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2011 4:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AbbyCat wrote:
Frankly, I love that the sexes are equal in the Sims. The Sims world is completely gender-blind (as well as race-blind), save for gay marriage (which can be fixed with the SiMale hack), and that's the way things should be. I wish our world was more like the Sims world in this regard.

However, if you want the Sims world to be more like our heterosexist, white-supremacist patriarchy, there are ways to do that. Of course, there's the aforementioned Simslice hack that makes adult female Sims walk "dainty and feminine" *barf* like they did before Unleashed. And, Sims Levittown (available at N99) had many hacks that enforced 1950s gender roles in Sims families (You know the deal--men work, cheat, and party, and women do housework, make babies, and take anti-depressants. Oh, the Good Old Days! rolleyes ).

Of course, I would never use any of the above hacks, and I honestly wouldn't recommend that anyone else do so (Not counting the gay marriage one, of course! biggrin ), but if you want your game to be sexist, then you have options. And, that's all I have to say on that.

The women walked "dainty" before Unleashed? surprise jfade's psycho How did I miss that with all my insane gameplay with Deluxe?
DamonDamore

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2011 4:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skinny sims are like, pencil skinny. dry

Anyway, Even in sims 2 "fat" is not really fat. In fact, for men it looks bloated, and for women it looks shapely.

Sims 3 has proper fat sims, but not proper fit sims.

Also, on gender roles... Male skins seem to be much harder to find than women's skins. For all three games.

AbbyCat

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2011 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

purplewowies wrote:
The women walked "dainty" before Unleashed? surprise jfade's psycho How did I miss that with all my insane gameplay with Deluxe?

LOL, I don't know how you missed it, but you can see the old "dainty" walk in this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ZNX-af6_Ng&feature=related. Notice how Bella and Betty sway their hips as they walk.

And, also, you can see the old "gorilla" walk in this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=heD4KUd-NMw

DamonDamore wrote:
Also, on gender roles... Male skins seem to be much harder to find than women's skins. For all three games.

Well, I think that can be attributed to the demographics of Sims fandom--this is one of the few game franchises where female players outnumber male players. Since most of the people creating skins are women, then, naturally, they're going to create more female skins than male ones.

However, I will say that when it comes to skinny outfits, I think male skins may actually outnumber female skins. Skinny male outfits are commonplace on Japanese sites, but on the other hand, these same sites still only have fit outfits for the women. Very frustrating, I tell you! jfade's psycho
DamonDamore

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2011 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, quite. Women are more interested in making female sims and female clothes. I am more interested in male sims likley for a similar reason. I just don't really have a whole lot of talent for skinning, and I wish there were more male skins. whistle

I guess the whole thing is that it's an issue of people making what they want, and sharing it in case anyone else wants it. hug

Yersinia

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 4:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

maximum411 wrote:
Actually, I'm curious about something else, too. Does anyone with Unleashed know if the pets only "cuddle" with the opposite sex, or if they are as flexible as Sims themselves when it comes to partner choice?

Yes, same-sex pets will cuddle. My sim Lisa's 7 prizewinning show rats are all males, and I've seen some of them occasionally cuddle. However, I only get the question if I want to BREED the pets in my other pet-owning sims' houses when the cuddlers are of the opposite sex.

"Hand over the coffee and no one gets hurt."
ruthml

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's no right or wrong way to play the game - its all purely subjective based on what you want to do with it and how you go about it. And what you do with the game will stem from your own personal interests and values. In the end though it all boils down to the game code determining various behaviors according to a built in script.

maximum411

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 2:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AbbyCat wrote:
purplewowies wrote:

LOL, I don't know how you missed it, but you can see the old "dainty" walk in this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ZNX-af6_Ng&feature=related. Notice how Bella and Betty sway their hips as they walk.

And, also, you can see the old "gorilla" walk in this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=heD4KUd-NMw

DamonDamore wrote:

Well, I think that can be attributed to the demographics of Sims fandom--this is one of the few game franchises where female players outnumber male players. Since most of the people creating skins are women, then, naturally, they're going to create more female skins than male ones.

However, I will say that when it comes to skinny outfits, I think male skins may actually outnumber female skins. Skinny male outfits are commonplace on Japanese sites, but on the other hand, these same sites still only have fit outfits for the women. Very frustrating, I tell you! jfade's psycho

Thanks for the videos! I'd heard about the dainty walk and the gorilla walk, but I'd never noticed them in-game. Now that I'm paying attention, though, I see what people were talking about.

purplewowies

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

maximum411 wrote:
AbbyCat wrote:
purplewowies wrote:

DamonDamore wrote:

Thanks for the videos! I'd heard about the dainty walk and the gorilla walk, but I'd never noticed them in-game. Now that I'm paying attention, though, I see what people were talking about.

Me too. I'd never seen the gorilla walk, but I notice that the women DID walk dainty. smile
17mars
Owner
Owner

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do like the "fat" sims in Sims 3 and how they can work out to change shape (or the other way around). Don't miss my old "Biggest Loser House" video I made.
http://s11.photobucket.com/albums/a154/Eradia/?action=view&current=JillianLastworkout.mp4
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Simblesse Oblige Forum Index -> General All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: