Simblesse Oblige Forum Index Simblesse Oblige
Forums for serious Simmers to share knowledge about The Sims 1

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Instructions for Installing GIMP (topic split)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Simblesse Oblige Forum Index -> Object Creation and Recolor Shop
View previous topic :: View next topic  
UTC_BCH

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 2:28 pm    Post subject: Instructions for Installing GIMP (topic split) Reply with quote

[Edit note from Mod: This post was originally a response to another but I split the topic in two to make the following information easier to track down]

I think I downloaded everything I need to install it, but I don't remember if there was any order to those files, I'll also have to find them, I don't remember where I saved them to. And I'll try that tutorial out once I have it going. Then maybe I can get the objects to move up or down. I also wanted to see if I couldn't do a table cloth at some point, just so it would take away from a bland table. Then maybe turn it into a base object, so artistic people can make nice ones. :lol:
annettebrks

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Install in this order - the installer (gtk), the program, then the help files.

I wouldn't recommend moving objects around on the sprite until you understand how that works. Where an object sits on that sprite determines how light or dark its Z will be, and that can have a huge impact on how much bleedthrough you end up with that needs to be fixed.
UTC_BCH

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

annettebrks wrote:
Install in this order - the installer (gtk), the program, then the help files.

I wouldn't recommend moving objects around on the sprite until you understand how that works. Where an object sits on that sprite determines how light or dark its Z will be, and that can have a huge impact on how much bleedthrough you end up with that needs to be fixed.

Okay, I'm a bit confused, gtk is what's confusing, these are the files I have.

gimp-2.2.13-i586-setup-1.zip
gimp-gap-2.2.0-setup.zip
gimp-help-2-0.10-setup.zip

Which way do I do them?

As for the sprite movement and Z stuff, I think I may try the anim8or again to see if it'll output the Z stuff, as I recall it had an option to, but I didn't know if it was setup to do that right or not, so I never tried. And I don't know how far to raise anything so thats also a problem.
annettebrks

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2006 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry for the delayed response - I've been out for a couple days. Actually, I might as well post the entire downloading sequence for posterity, since a lot of people do find the whole procedure confusing!

To download the three components needed for the Gimp program -

(This applies for the Windows version, but there are also versions for MacOSX and Unix - just follow the same general procedure following links appropriate for your machine)

Starting from the main page of the site, follow these links -
Gimp for Windows (top left panel)
Automated Installer (top of page body)
Stable Version (top left panel under 'Download')

Note that clicking on the below links for each component will take you to a new page where you'll choose your mirror. After getting that zip, you'll need to backtrack to the link page in order to get the others.

INSTALL THIS FIRST -
GTK + 2 Runtime Environment (choose option for the specific Windows version that you have) - click 'Select download mirror' (Zip name will start with gtk+-)

INSTALL THIS SECOND -
Gimp for Windows - click 'Select download mirror' (Zip name will be something like gimp-2.2.13-i586-setup-1.zip)

INSTALL THIS LAST -
Gimp Help 2 - click 'Select download mirror' (Zip name will start with gimp-help-)

So UTC - it looks like you have two out of the three, but you're missing the Installer. Not sure what the 'gap' file is. Maybe the animations thing? I haven't downloaded that.

Anim8or does make z's but from what I hear, they aren't necessarily good ones. One source stated that they're fine for little simple things but not for most objects. If you want info on the settings to use for that, check the tutorial at Kinetic Dot:
http://s15.invisionfree.com/kineticdot/index.php?s=e0459d73e4d0ce0ac9553b0d49b85ea8&
UTC_BCH

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2006 6:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I copied that message out and I'll try downloading and installing it in the morning. Hopefully I won't have any problems. Thanks, and I'll look at that tutorial then too.
Raeven

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 1:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've split these posts off from the original thread to make them easier to track down and link to. thumbsup
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Simblesse Oblige Forum Index -> Object Creation and Recolor Shop All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: