Simblesse Oblige Forum Index Simblesse Oblige
Forums for serious Simmers to share knowledge about The Sims 1

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Tapatalk Forum App Support

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Simblesse Oblige Forum Index -> All About Simblesse Oblige
View previous topic :: View next topic  
maximum411

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 3:35 pm    Post subject: Tapatalk Forum App Support Reply with quote

My life has been pretty busy lately, and since I got a smartphone I have been doing more and more of my internet browsing on my phone when I am out and have moments of spare time and less when I am at home on the computer. I often want to check Simblesse Oblige on my phone, but the tiny lettering on the screen and constant need to zoom in and out usually deters me. I was just thinking- wouldn't it be great if there was an easy way I could check and post on SO from my phone? I did some research and found out that there is a very popular Android/iPhone app specifically for this purpose called Tapatalk. It's free- you just register your forum with the app and then your users can view your forum in a mobile-friendly format through the app. If you want to download the app on your phone, it does cost $2.99, but it's worth it to me. I checked, and Tapatalk supports the forum software that SO runs on (phpBB).

If you're interested (17mars, I think one of you would be the one for this), here's a link to get you started: http://tapatalk.com/faq.php

Then we can all check SO easily wherever we are! jump

Let me know what you think.

17mars
Owner
Owner

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's something to think about. Perhaps we should run a poll and see how many people use smart phones for viewing. Personally, I don't have one. Input?
maximum411

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks! A poll seems like a great idea. Just to clarify, I don't think it's some long, drawn-out process to sign your forum up for this app. I think you basically just register, do a few more things, and then you're all set. It would be much appreciated by at least one SO member! laugh
TheIms3
Owner
Owner

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree--a poll would be the thing. I personally am resisting with all of my being any phone that does more than talk and text, but I am definitely in the minority, even among other people in their 30s.

"Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation. The old has passed away, Behold, the new has come."
2 Corinthians 5:17
maximum411

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 3:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope I don't sound pushy, but I'm just wondering where you guys are on this? It might be worth it to check out the website and see how long it takes to set us up.

Thanks biggrin

bruja
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm neutral on this topic - for anybody but me. I don't use my cell phone at all, if I can help it, so I'm the wrong person to get involved in this.

When/if mars or Kim finds time to set up a poll, and more than a few regulars are interested, I can't see any objection. I do know that both of them have little time for SO right now, and I'll be away a lot in the next 6 or 7 weeks.

17mars
Owner
Owner

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have no objections but I don't have the time. As is, I'm typing this from work. I don't own a smartphone either. But if someone else can handle it its fine by me.
maximum411

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would be more than happy to do it if you could PM me the necessary login information. You could even change it right after if you don't trust me. I promise I'm not going to hack the forum laugh

If not, maybe one of the other mods could?

17mars
Owner
Owner

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went to install Tapatalk this morning but found that we can't. sad Our forum runs on an older phpbb software. We would have to upgrade to 3.0 for it to work. That's a huge undertaking and would require hiring a tech for the migration as we have so many add-ons as well as a learning curve for the staff. So I'm afraid we won't be upgrading any time soon.
Sorry about that! I did try!
TheIms3
Owner
Owner

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was going to post a poll, and then life got away from me, but I guess it's not really an option now anyway. sad

"Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation. The old has passed away, Behold, the new has come."
2 Corinthians 5:17
maximum411

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah okay- that's too bad. Thank you very much for trying though!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Simblesse Oblige Forum Index -> All About Simblesse Oblige All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: