Simblesse Oblige Forum Index Simblesse Oblige
Forums for serious Simmers to share knowledge about The Sims 1

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

List the themes in your game
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Simblesse Oblige Forum Index -> Theme Players
View previous topic :: View next topic  
17mars
Owner
Owner

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 7:50 pm    Post subject: List the themes in your game Reply with quote

It's always interesting to list the themes people have going in their games. I used to keep up to 30+ neighborhoods so I could keep them all to a single theme each but it wasn't practical. In the end I tried to put similar eras or regions together and culled some totally.
Here's what I have going at the moment by neighborhood:
1) Egyptian (varies from Ancient to 1930's Howard Carteresque. Includes Indiana Jones and the Mummy movies)
2) Perfidious Albion- Modern day Britain-contains my Are You Being Served characters
3) E. F. Benson and P.G. Wodehouse- the Long Weekend era of Britain
4) Regency and Victorian- okay so they don't quite match in fashion but at least they don't look too out of place
5) Medieval to Tudor - same as above. The eras don't match but they'll do and it saves space
6) Enchanted Realm- LOTR, Harry Potter, Pirates of the Carribean and other epic fantasy type themes. They DO go together well.
7) Ancient Days- my weirdest neighborhood as it includes Ancient Rome, Greece, Britain and a Bhuddist Temple that just seems out of place eveywhere else.
8) my orginal families that I just can't bear to part with-no theme

Currently out of service but saved are my space, tiki and pioneer neighborhoods that I just didn't use often enough to warrant keeping in the game. I keep them in a folder but I imagine they'll be corrupt if I try and stick them back in.

So what's in your game?
annettebrks

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I first got Unleashed, I made Rural, Suburban, and Urban, in addition to the Originals in the first neighborhood. I was happy with that for quite awhile, but downloading took its toll and I finally had enough specialty things to actually put some themed neighborhoods in.

So besides the above, there's also

* Harry Potter
* Victorian
* Haunted/Carnival/Oddball - this is where I put anything really off the wall (one lot is even a spaceship just for kicks)
* Bare lots only (no Sims here, just bare flattened lots for copying)
* Four entire neighborhoods for building and testing with no downloads

I have plans for a medieval type neighborhood, but for now, that's still in the planning stages.

So right now, I have 6 actual playing neighborhoods and 6 that are used for other purposes.
ruthml

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 3:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

While some of my neighbourhoods are sitting out of the game as backups, I'm hoping they'll still work :)

I have: the Roman Empire which loosely covers anything from ancient roman, greek, egyptian, brittain/gaul plus roman & greek mythology - which means I can play with fantasy skins like centaurs. Includes downtown & vacation lots as well.

Medieval - still more under construction then playable but incorporates vikings and may include a middle eastern medieval lots (moorish castles) if I ever get there. Folklore figures such as fairies etc also incorporated. I tried to doing a straight historical medieval but it got too boring. Downtown lots as well.

Modern, everyday sims, including N99 Forum members.

A tropical neighbourhood which covers the most primitive tree house - Adam & Eve/Survivor family to a sophisticated beach resort. Landscaping is only with tropical plants (I'm very pedantic about plants!) Downtown included.

Gone with the Wind theme - I just needed an excuse to keep the crinoline skins separate. Have no idea where those files went....

Golden era of Hollywood - 20s, 30s, 40s style houses, decor, clothing, hollywood faces included. One of my favourite hoods. I hope I still have everything.

Pioneer - my first ever lots with serious downloads in them - mostly little farmers etc. Great sentimental value! First lot I ever uploaded pictures on TSR was a little pilgrim pioneer family ;p Then I was heartbroken when the family became corrupted but I learnt that happens a lot.
bruja
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On my laptop, I have a couple of neighbourhoods of ordinary modern sims, one of which is very yuppie. I started it before I learned rosebud, and I actually built almost all the houses from scratch. I may never build another lot (I find building exceedingly boring), but I have nostalgic fondness for this neighbourhood of career-driven singles and pairs.

The other modern neighbourhood is child-centered, because I find some of the social interactions of the kids to be a lot of fun.

The other 2 playable neighbourhoods on that computer are both Regency. One, Heyerthorpe Grange, is composed of the country estates of the wealthy and the cottages of their retainers. I populated it at the start with families in which almost every adult member was single, for maximum romantic possibilities, and waited to see what kinds of pairings would occur with minimum intervention from me. The mansions are all houses I downloaded and then tinkered with, to make them more functional in the game, and redecorated.

The other regency neighbourhood is more sophisticated and urban.

I haven't actually played the game (except to test) on my desktop for so long that the only active neighbourhoods I have on my are both medieval/fantasy. I stripped out ALL the playable Maxis body bmp's a year ago, to see if that would force the game to dress all the Townies, Stranges, Somebodies, vacationers, etc. in the medieval/fantasy skins I put in. It worked except for one small problem that I've now fixed. But I don't want to open any of the other neighbourhoods while the skins that all the sims would wear are in storage outside the game.

I have a couple of other themes in the planning stage. One is a retirement village, and the other is a futuristic space fantasy - the latter because I have found some wonderful meshes so outrageous that I have to create a world for them.
bluesage

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Animporphs, Mythology, Romans, Adult, Spooky, Celebrity, Children, Cartoons, Anime, Superheroes, Science Fiction. :grin

-- Bluesage

Last edited by bluesage on Thu Jun 05, 2008 5:43 pm; edited 2 times in total
Madoria

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Working & Testing- guess what this is... :lol:

All Play - at the moment inhabited by Stressed out Cityfolk in Little Cottages.'
They have not got large homes , and the main attraction is Some Simthings watchable Fireplace...

Then I have a neighbourhood for Apartment play but I haven't started any
apts yet...

Susanne
Raeven

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like Madoria my neighborhood evolved/dissolved into all Test Areas.

Conscious effort to change that recently (I'm VERY aware that I am missing out by being so scattered) has led to two theme neighborhoods being set up now and plans for a two more

A severely underpopulated Victorian Lot. It's houses by Victorian houses built by Annette and only one family lives in the entire neighborhood at the moment because I did not have any appropriate skins.

A Fantasy lot that has copies of our player made sims from my "regular" (nondescript, modern) lot ... the Fantasy version of them. I am having some trouble building the houses for this neighborhood so at the moment there is one playable family an neighbors available to invite over. I'd originally planned on having a Magical neighborhood as well but that's going to be worked into this one instead.

I'd like to have a Science Fantasy lot as well and a slightly ghoulish Mad Scientist run amok lot with. A place for the darker, gothier side of Science and Magic Fantasy. Lots of sparking machines, lab equipment and rather heavily populated by abominations. When I first installed living Large I created a family like this (sans sparking machines and only the potion table for lab equipment) and they were a lot of fun. One Scientist. Four of his creations. large indoor swimming pool. It was sweet.

I toyed with a tropical setting as well but don't think I can swing that. Landscaping is too important for such settings and my building skills are not up to par (yet)

Madoria

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not good at Landscaping - in fact I am soo lousy I am ashamed....
but on the other hand I never practice either so I guess it is my own fault too...

:lol: Susanne
hobbitwife

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 10:17 pm    Post subject: My themes Reply with quote

I have the game installed in 4 places on my computer. I have a "pure" game with no downloads in it....all EPs. I use that game to check my creations & tke in game pics. Then I have one game devoted to modern play with a very wealthy neighborhood, a Hawai'ian tropical neighborhood, a singles only neighborhood, a 50's & 60s 'hood, & a neighborhood I save for playing games on different yahoo groups. I also have a game devoted to historical eras from renaissance to the 1920s. My fave in that is Victorian & Edwardian. I also have a rural European countryside too. My fave game is my Lord of the Rings/Medieval game. I have a neighborhood of hobbits which I'm also changing all the downtown, vacation island, old town, NPCs, etc. to be appropriate, a neighborhood of elves, a neighborhood from The Silmarillion(pre-LotR), a medieval 'hood with Viking & Moorish stuff too, a fantasy 'hood with fairies, mermaids, animals & other creatures, and someday when I get to it, a neighborhood of ancient times such as Egyptian & Roman. I have great plans but I don't know if I'll ever get all my downloads so organized so as to play it all out. LOL!! My fave game is too play with my hobbits & to finish that whole neighborhood until it is totally correct. It's a lot of work!! I've been playing since July '04 so I've spent 2yrs figuring all this out.
:smileyflower

Yvonne

17mars
Owner
Owner

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hear you on trying to get the whole neighborhood "right" I use Sim Enhancer to dress all my townies and so on appropriately. That takes forever but it's so satisfying to have your LOTR characters visit a lot peopled with costume correct visitors!
hobbitwife

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use NPC replacer a lot too. I just hate to have some random person show up at a hobbit party with a modern hair style & shorts!! LOL!! Nice to know I'm not the only obsessed sims perfectionist!!
jotapomba

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2006 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No themes at all. I've just testing areas. Also i just have a few files in my downloads folder that i can use as bases and my own objects. So, when i want to build something, what is very rare, i put some of my infinite downloads backup folder into the game and wait for it to load... it's almost impossible because although i don't play, i continue downloading. :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2006 3:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes my Sims are a fan of the modern minimalist look that is lots filled with varying sized grey boxes for testing and mis-matched non-functional rooms layed out for preview photos! Its a look. I actually have 2 families that have been with me since 2003 when I first started making objects who live in a permanent state of getting high on the Millenium Sims mirror and being sent on masses of shopping trips where they never buy anything, the rest of the neighbourhood is in its freshly installed state :roll:

I kid myself some day I'll get back to playing but :???: yeah like that's ever going to happen! I promised myself I'd play the Sims 2 when it was released, that lasted about 3 weeks before I caved into the pressure to start doing some serious creating. Since The Sims 3 is out in a couple of years I think its time I put that idea in the trash rather than hauling it around with me, bringing it out once in a while to give it a dust and a polish!
JustDenise

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2006 3:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Currently, I'm playing my Space Colony neighborhood very heavily-it's my m.o. I go in fits and spurts, get bored and leave, go back.

Let's see:

Neighborhood 1: "Normal." This is where I build my regular houses, and it's not cohesive at all. I have a Victorian house, a bunch of 50's ranch homes and modulars, a couple of "Mod" houses, a converted factory, everything really.

Neighborhood 2: Halloween/Creepy all year round. All the haunted houses, gloomy castles, gothic manses, etc. go here. This is where I put all my weird or dark Sims.

Neighborhood 3: Christmas all year long. I have a real weakness for holiday objects, even if they're not very good. I love to download the stuff and plaster it all over the neighborhood.

Neighborhood 4: Tiki Outrageous, a tacky but lovable beach community. It *does* have a lot of tiki stuff, since I love fifties' kitsch, which was the Golden Age of tiki, but it also has nice beach cottages and houses like I remember from my childhood summers in Wildwood, New Jersey.

Neighborhood 5: Space Colony, but more like the fifties and sixties idea of the future. Lots of pointy white buildings, streamlined furniture, and people wearing either brightly colored polyester or silver jumpsuits.

Neighborhood 6: Fantasy/Fairytale: This is the one where all those floaty dresses and castle objects come in handy. It's not meant to be medieval because I personally hate roughing it myself, but more like the place where where all the floaty, dreamy things I imagine go. Godzilla lives here, too for some reason. I thought he'd fit better than he does, but he seems to love the place and what with a new girlfriend and all...well, I guess he stays.

Neighborhood 7: "Allison's Place." My niece's neighborhood for when she stays with me. I love a child's idea of a REALLY cool house. You know, huge pool, huge rooms, living room has inflatable sofas, child's room has ten pinball machines, etc.

I'd like to do an Asian neighborhood at some point, because I really love that look.

Denise

"If you canna see the bright side, polish the dull side."
~The Old Men of Freya Crags
TreasureHunter

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2006 5:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are mine:
Haunted (my absolute favorite)
Victorian (a close second)
The Ancients (Egypt-Greco-Roman etc.)
Mid East/Morrocan/Turkish etc.
Christmas/WInter
Harry Potter
and
World-Wide

I only play theme hoods-makes organizing easier for me
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Simblesse Oblige Forum Index -> Theme Players All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6

Jump to: