Simblesse Oblige Forum Index Simblesse Oblige
Forums for serious Simmers to share knowledge about The Sims 1

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Electricity Again!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Simblesse Oblige Forum Index -> Off Topic (non-controversial)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bruja
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 1:06 am    Post subject: Electricity Again! Reply with quote

I wrote this the afternoon of Dec. 27, but lost power again (for only 40 minutes, but it was discouraging) before I could post it.

Quote:
I have power again! It's been off since 2:17 a.m. Dec 22, and the temperatures here have bounced between -8 and -16C, with cloudy skies when it wasn't actually snowing, so no passive solar, even. No heat (electric furnace and heat pump) except for small wood stove in fireplace, no water except the 4 10 litre jugs I keep stashed for emergencies (we have our own well and therefore our own well pump), no light except kerosene lamps and flashlights. All fine in summer. Miserable in winter.

I wrapped presents in front of the fire, but moved in with a power-enabled family member after I spent much of Christmas Eve in the mudroom bathroom wrapping under-sink pipes in towels soaked in water that I had heated on a propane camp to defrost them so I could drain the pipes in the whole house when I realized that the outage wasn't going to be solved quickly.

Slowly bringing the heat back up now. Family room is cozy 18C, upstairs has reached 11C, but I doubt 25 gallons of water will go from near freezing to hot enough for a shower until tomorrow night.

The refrigerator was almost empty; I was expecting 30 adults and 9 children here for my family's Christmas gathering on Dec. 26, and hadn't shopped for that. The freezers were full, and in the basement. I didn't open them, and not even the ice cream thawed.

Two of my sons are here, shoveling ice and show off the heat pump, and checking the pipes. A crew from Hydro (Ontario used to get almost all its power from hydroelectric sources, so electricity here is "Hydro") came up the driveway and knocked on the door to make sure the power was actually on in the house. Those guys are heroes: they've been working back to back 12 hour shifts through since the storm the night of Dec. 22.

We held our gathering at a son's house nearby. Everything went well, though it felt strange not to have it here. And now I'm suffering from the usual post-Christmas cold that the small children seem to spread like the plague every year.sickflu

A belated Merry Christmas to you all grouphug

TheIms3
Owner
Owner

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 2:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, gosh. I thought we had it bad having no heat intermittently for a few days! That is scary. You are having the same disgusting cold weather that we have here in MN--it's nasty. I am so glad it's resolved. Was it from a storm?
EDIT: I missed the bit at the end about the storm. Wow. That is just dreadful. I'm worried about you up there.

"Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation. The old has passed away, Behold, the new has come."
2 Corinthians 5:17
Andrasta

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bruja, what an "adventure" on Christmas surprise

I hope electric currency will stay now and you can keep yourself warm and cosy to recover from your cold giveflower

Have a good start into 2014 anyway!

patos

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So glad that you have family close to help you so you had a warm place to go.

Now that it is fixed, hope it stays that way and you can get on with the rest of your life this new year.

hug to you my friend

peter9g

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi bruja

I'm glad you finally got your power back!
Happy New Year 2014

celebrate

Peter
17mars
Owner
Owner

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wondered how you "back-easters" were managing. Sounds dreadful! Happy 2014!
bruja
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lovely to hear from old friends. The cold has turned into laryngitis and a nasty cough, so I'm staying in bed. Can't even chat on the phone. Spoiling myself eating home baked goodies I got for Christmas, and trying to read, but mostly sleeping.

2014 has to be better. So many old friends dies in 3013 that i don't even like to think about it.

17mars
Owner
Owner

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get well soon!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Simblesse Oblige Forum Index -> Off Topic (non-controversial) All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: