Simblesse Oblige Forum Index Simblesse Oblige
Forums for serious Simmers to share knowledge about The Sims 1

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Windows that make me "shutter"...
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Simblesse Oblige Forum Index -> Object Creation and Recolor Shop
View previous topic :: View next topic  
THIEF

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 3:56 pm    Post subject: Windows that make me "shutter"... Reply with quote

Hey all, I was wondering if someone could help me out here.

There's a Maxis window I really like, the "Shutter at the Thought" window, I think it came with the Makin' Magic pack.
I love the window but, ironically, I hate the shutters. laugh I wanted to make a version without them, so essentially the outside of the window would look the same as the inside, but for the life of me I don't know how to do it.

I've never edited an object before so I don't know if this is a simple task or not. I don't even know where to find the original window in the game files.

If someone could help me I'd be happy to learn and do it myself, but if it's not too much trouble I'd love it if someone with more experience could do it for me. Object editing just boggles my mind for some reason. jfade's psycho
purplewowies

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a list of some tutorials: http://simblesseoblige.com/viewtopic.php?t=514 Some of the links are broken, but it's a good resource.

There are some more here: http://www.woobsha.com/diyworkshop.html

As well as Bunny Wuffles: http://bwsost.woobsha.com/

You would need Transmogrifier, and its site is down at present, so you'd have to get it at http://ctosims.com .

It would involve either replacing the outside pieces of the window (all three sprite types) with the inside pieces, or it would involve photoshopping out the shutters on the outside, again on all sprite types (there is the sprite you see, one that has to do with depth and its appearance next to other objects, and one that has to do with transparency--you could theoretically cut the shutters off on this layer and it could do the job).

I can't do it for you, but there may be someone who could.
THIEF

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, thanks! I downloaded the program and found the window I need.

I'll try replacing the outside with the inside like you suggested. (sounds easier) Fingers crossed that I can get it right!
THIEF

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, so I spent awhile messing around with this and reading some of the tutorials and then I tried to edit the window.

I ended up opting to cut out the shutters and it went pretty well. But when I was all done and I imported the sprites back in the window was in pieces. (I can't get a screenshot easily because my Sims game is on a separate computer than this one)

The window takes up 2 spaces so it's split into 2 halves. But now the halves aren't lining up correctly.
I didn't change the placement of the sprite pieces when I edited them but the two halves of the window ended up separated anyway. sad

Does anyone have any idea what I have to do about that? I've only been doing this for a day so I think it must be something I did wrong in exporting or editing...

I'll keep trying.
Thalia

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't answer your question specifically, because I'm on a Mac and don't use Transmogrifier, but with IffSnooper (the Mac equivalent) it goes by the leftmost and bottommost pixel to align things. So if you've erased the shutters you've probably changed that. In IffSnooper you'd adjust the X and Y in each view to line it back up; I don't know exactly how you'd do that on Transmogrifier but I'm sure there must be something similar. Hopefully someone else will know how to do that, or maybe one of the tutorials has something.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That might have something to do with it...
Thanks, I'll take a look at that. smile
THIEF

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You were absolutely right, I played around with the X and Y numbers, and got everything lined up again.

Whew, this was harder than I'd imagined. (but then, I did start with a two tile window...) But it finally turned out, and I'm very pleased.
Thanks for the tips you guys! biggrin

I just have one more little problem, and I hope the solution will be simple. When I find the window in-game, the little thumbnail image in the window selection screen is... off.
I don't know how to describe it, but the picture of the window is too small and sort of up and to the left with too much empty space in the opposite corner.
The window itself is in the right place on the walls when I place it, so it's just a problem with the thumbnail. Is there a way I can fix that? (without altering the actual window that I finally got just right)
Thalia

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That I don't know (again, I don't use that program) but in IffSnooper I know you can have it remake the thumbnails. Sometimes I know they come out smaller than you'd think and I don't know why. Just as a guess is there a stray pixel left over from the shutters that is making it think it's wider than it is? If that's the case and there's one down on the lower right and you erase it then you'd probably have to realign it again.

Actually thinking about it I think the thumbnails are usually okay; it's when you click on the item to read about it that the thumbnail there can be a different size. That might be something to do with having a lot of or a little text, so that's probably not the same thing. Sorry I'm not more help.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would have thought there would be a way to remake the thumbnails, but I can't seem to figure it out. Out of curiosity, how do you do that in IffSnooper? There's a tiny chance that it will help me find something in T-mog.

I'll double check but I couldn't seem to find any stray pixels that would be causing the problem either. Maybe the A or Z channels have one? I'll check it out, but I was pretty thorough in erasing every pixel.

Anyway, I guess as long as the window works it doesn't matter too much. But I'm a bit of a perfectionist sometimes so it bothers me. laugh If anyone can give me any more info I'd appreciate it.
Thalia

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 1:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would be under the BMP_resource window in IffSnooper but all the iffs I'm looking at are greyed out now (maybe because I had already redone the thumbnails when I first recolored them?) and I can't get to it. If I could get to them it would have an option to clear the old thumbnail (like if I had done a recolor) and then it makes a new one based on the new graphics. That's probably not much help.

Oh and I hear you about the perfectionism!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, try as I might, the thumbnail is stubborn and it will just have to stay the way it is. (no stray pixels, but it wants to sit in the corner anyway)

Other than that, the window is done. I was even able to fix some transparency and cutout issues that were present in the original Maxis window.
Once again, thanks for all the help! I never would have figured this out on my own. biggrin

My last question is if I can upload it here.
I figured the least I could do was offer it to anyone that might be interested but I couldn't seem to find any site policies on uploading files, so I thought it safer to ask first.
(I don't have my own site or anything, so it's probably here or nothing...)
Thalia

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 3:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Far as I know that's always been fine; and I imagine I'll be one of the ones using your window! :)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 4:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alright. smile

Now let's see if I can get this right... I think this is the right file, heh heh. Feel free to let me know if this isn't working for some reason.

I realized that with the size of the window, without the shutters, I could have made it a single tile window rather than a double. (might have saved me some effort, but maybe not)
Oh well, that can be a project for another day! laugh

JI_windowsmagic.zip
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  JI_windowsmagic.zip
 Filesize:  57.9 KB
 Downloaded:  115 Time(s)

Thalia

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I downloaded your new window and looked at it in IffSnooper and looked at the thumbnail. It was showing up as the round carnival window. I know you're done with it now, but I got a screen capture so you could see what I was talking about. I hit 'Clear All' and the thumbnail shows up just fine in-game now. I can send it to you if you like.

Picture 7.png
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  Picture 7.png
 Filesize:  96.96 KB
 Downloaded:  163 Time(s)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, how odd. I have no idea why it would show as the carnival window... In any case I'm glad you could fix it!

Yeah I'd love it if you could give it to me, if it's not too much trouble. I wonder if it will fix my thumbnail..?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Simblesse Oblige Forum Index -> Object Creation and Recolor Shop All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: