Simblesse Oblige Forum Index Simblesse Oblige
Forums for serious Simmers to share knowledge about The Sims 1

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Sims 4 - Mortimer and Bella are back?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Simblesse Oblige Forum Index -> Off Topic (non-controversial)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
17mars
Owner
Owner

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 2:13 am    Post subject: Sims 4 - Mortimer and Bella are back? Reply with quote

If you've followed the games - Sims 2 takes place after Sims 1 with Mortimer old, Cassandra grown up and Bella disappeared. Sims 3 is a prequel to Sims 1 with Mortimer and Bella as children and still living with their parents.
It looks like Sims 4 *might* be Sims 1 re-hashed. On May 14 a new Sims 4 trailer will feature Mortimer and Bella in their prime again.
http://simsvip.com/2014/05/07/thesims4-the-goths-are-back/

Okay so maaaybe I'll buy it.

DamonDamore

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That actually looks lovely and I am more excited about it now.
purplewowies

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

*wonders if this will have Cassandra or if it's like in a "right before she was born" timeline*
DamonDamore

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 4:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe it's between sims 1 and 2?
17mars
Owner
Owner

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd love it to be an exact re-hash of 1 with the Hicks and the Newbies and the Maushagas and the rest. If it is - I will buy it.

The picture is just an artist render. We'll see what it really looks like. Very Disney Pixar at this point.

So - the new Sims 4 trailer featuring the Goths debuts next Wednesday (May 14)!
17mars
Owner
Owner

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, and rumour has it that the Sims 4 may make another official game play debut at the 2014 Electronic Entertainment Expo on June 9. I hope so if they really are planning to release it by the end of September as was claimed to the shareholders.
17mars
Owner
Owner

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah! Someone at Sims VIP pointed out that Sims 4 is going to have a New Orleans theme - Shades of Old Town! (Please, puh-lease! I want Sims 4 to be Sims 1)
DamonDamore

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

...The new Orleans stuff is my least favorite in sims 1! laugh

Still, it does look like more of a return to sims 1...

17mars
Owner
Owner

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not keen on the Old Town theme either. I always changed it to suit myself. But it's promising!
DamonDamore

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I did like the downtown area so I was able to use some of it... I found I liked it better for home lots.

But yes, it does seem promising. Better than another generic Californian city, too.

KarinL

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 6:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Meh. I actually like Old Town, but I am over Bella and Mortimer.

I don't want Sims 4 to be Sims 1, as I don't trust EA will do justice to the spirit of the original - they will just rehash the old characters and probably get the relative ages all messed up and create a back-story that doesn't fit 'my' version. I'm too OCD to cope with that. LOL!!

Owner
Owner

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's true. They do have a tendency to screw things up. For example, I never played the Goths in Sims 3 because I didn't like the personality they gave to Gunther. He wasn't like Gunther in Sims 1 at all. That's why I like the Simsville from CTNutmegger and your sims/houses. They're just like Sims 1.
DamonDamore

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When they did the sims 1 stream... a lot of sims 1 people are still around at EA on the sims team. They were interns at the time, but they fondly remember the game. I think they're also becoming aware the sims 1 is still being played by people and the game has tarted to attract new people as well. Meaning they have sort of passively acknowledged there's something special about it not in the other games in the series.

I don't think I would like a complete rehash of sims 1, I mean... I'm already playing sims 1. But I think reviewing sims 1 after all this time and remembering the thoughts and ideas and decisions that went into it was interesting. "Oh I forgot how hard this is!" was common. The sims 1 kicks your butt, way more than 3. And there's less random occurrences to skew the fact you basically have to turn off free will and lock them in a box to die.

They also said they had a lot of fun and thought about doing it again... I think even they realized there was something special about the first game. We also started talking in chat about how we felt the developers were on our side but higher-ups at EA made some bad choices. After all people really like farming things and we got farm stuff... we got a lot of what we asked for for YEARS as store content.

I think the devs still have the spirit of the game, so maybe if they can prove enough people still like the sims 1 the marketing people will listen.

KarinL

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 5:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the big problem is that they higher-ups and the marketing teams are looking to attract teenagers, who don't want the game to be 'too hard' compared to Sims 3.
I would love it if they found a way to make the non-actives live their lives without me but made things harder for the active family. And a way to let you play a number of families while setting others as townies. I think with this open world we need an in-between stage between 'non-playable' and 'playable' that has a different code base.

As far as the developers go - a lot of the Sims 3 has suffered from 'lack of communication' or even lack of knowledge of the game. Like Hidden Springs, for instance, has a lot of NPCs that are *elders*. Meaning that as soon as you start the game they get bumped off and replaced by new immigrant adults, because the game isn't coded to let elders be policemen or mail carriers. Such a waste of time creating NPCs that the game then can't use. I think sometimes the developers don't think things through because they don't play. Or they play with a different set of rules. Like for instance they didn't even realise that you can't set an arch as a front door, because with their tools you can... This came out in a live chat during the presentation of Monte Vista.

For me the basic problems are integration between the EPs and the stacking, and I don't see that being resolved in Sims 4. The higher-ups are going to want EPs.

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, that's true. I honestly think Sims 3 is us finally getting SimsVille though, lol.

Someone on tumblr commented that sims 1 is much more difficult compared to sims 3... maybe it is, I get bored actually playing sims 3. It feels like a lot of tedious busywork, the same reason I don't like MMOs. I find the gardening as painfully tedious as gardening in real life... and I have trouble filling up my sims day. It's sort of fun to make a lot of fictional characters in one town and see what happens but that's not really interactive.

I don't know what direction they want to go in with the core gameplay. I hope that's less like sims 3. Of course maybe I dislike sims 3 enough that anything will be an improvement. laugh

Like sims 2, I end up playing with debug mode always on... but I find I need it more in sims 3. (Sims 2 I usually use it to force sims to sleep through the night, lol!). Sims 3 I consider wholly unplayable without it. It's like, oh okay the whole town is gonna get stuck on a bridge now, nice.

I feel like there's some EPs they really had fun with and others... back with sims 1 and for a while with sims 2 we got what we were given and made the best of it, the developers were trusted to do their job and make something interesting to play. One thing I have learned from talking to writers, artists and game designers is that marketing people and investors have no imagination. Meaning it's difficult to pitch ideas to them. This is why much of the remotely creative ideas for worlds are in the store, while the EPs shipped with much more concrete worlds (suburban town, big city, agricultural farming town, tropic island tourist town and so on). Imagine them trying to explain MagicTown to these people. There is no way to not make that sound insane but it is an amazingly interesting place.

I think if the developers got to make what they wanted we would end up with wholly better games.

You can kind of tell which EPs they liked for sims 3. I think they had a lot of fun with World Adventures and even Ambitions. Pets feels uninspired to me, but maybe because I am not super into animals. Late Night seems like they actually cared a lot about it, too. Supernatural feels a little hodge-podge-ey, but it feels like they had all these ideas for creatures already planned out.

Generations feels forced. University Life felt like they created a hilariously dark "this is college now, folks" game but someone made them tone it down to the Hollywood "College is awesome and you party all the time and is there even a building that had classes?" idea. I love superstar because of it makes Hollywood out to be fake. Aside from the magician career, which appeals to the 12 year old inside me, I hate showtime. It plays the whole working your way up to being a superstar too seriously. It becomes another tedious babysitting job.

Which brings me to another point-- Sims 1, yes you need to make them cook and pee so they don't starve and die on the floor in a puddle of their own urine but I feel like the sims 3 sims are particularly prone to death and doing counter-intuitive things and I feel like I need to monitor them every second or they will eat something bad and die, or trip on the ground and die. Or try play cards and get a paper cut and die.

I don't want to feel like a babysitter, I want to be able to tune sims to have enough autonomy to not die or pee themselves but not so much they refuse to listen. I can't seem to find that spot in sims 3.

I also feel like they try to shoehorn in pop culture stuff, too. I clicked a sim and went "why can I dare them to eat cinnamon?" then I remembered the cinnamon challenge thing, rolleyes

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Simblesse Oblige Forum Index -> Off Topic (non-controversial) All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: