Simblesse Oblige Forum Index Simblesse Oblige
Forums for serious Simmers to share knowledge about The Sims 1

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Thunderstorm gave me a guilt free sims day!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Simblesse Oblige Forum Index -> Off Topic (non-controversial)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bruja
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 11:54 pm    Post subject: Thunderstorm gave me a guilt free sims day! Reply with quote

smile smile smile

I've been desperately trying to catch up with my life, especially after a chronic fatigue relapse knocked me out for just about all of March and April. The garden, of course, is a now or never thing, so I've been dragging myself out every day. If I weren't so pleased with the bits that I dug out and totally replanted in the last couple of years, I'd abandon it and let it become the hayfield entropy insists on. But the good bits are just so worth it, so I've been slogging.

This morning was housekeeping hell day, so this afternoon was supposed to be back out to tearing out vinca and other obnoxious plants from another section of the back garden. Just as I was tying my shoelaces, the rain came down in torrents. biggrin

I've been looking in my old files. I found some fireplaces that I was working on for my regency sims. I'd forgotten all about those. I abandoned trying to make things for the game when my husband's illness took over our lives -- I just couldn't concentrate. I don't know if I'll be able to figure out what I was doing, but I'm rather pleased at the moment, given my total lack of experience at object making. I'd forgotten how much fun it is to play with a graphics program for something other than getting a calendar made for the garden club.

The kid next door (well, he's 1 year away from university) wants to learn to make skins. He got my old expansion packs years ago, and 2 weeks ago, when he was helping at a plant sale, he came over to ask me if I'd teach him how. I'd better brush up fast, because this kid is a whiz at everything he does.

Thalia

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad you're feeling better Bruja!

Have you been planting anything new or have you just ("just") been weeding? Last year my garden kind of went to pot too and so I've been trying to catch up. I've put in a bunch of new perennials and dug two new garden beds (out of six according to the plan). And I mean double-dug French intensive forked over with like four trailerloads of the compost the local recycling center has free for the hauling. Ooof. I'd forgotten how much work that is! But it's beginning to look like a garden again.

Do you have pictures of yours?

Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Thalia!
I must take some pictures this year! The weather was so miserable last spring and summer and so much of this spring that I wasn't tempted. Right now, the last of the daffs and tulips have finished blooming and look icky, and nothing but aliums are blooming. The oriental poppies and some aquilegia are filling out buds, though.
My "weeding" still involves a full size garden fork, and hauling away in a wheelbarrow, so when the perennials are knee high, the beds aren't pretty for a few weeks afterward.
I did plant 14 large containers of heirloom tomatoes this week before my energy levels pooped out.
I have a dozen pots of perennials I brought home from the garden club plant sale to try out: some louisiana iris 'Jack Attack' for the red bed that catches the late afternoon/evening sun, and some hellebores for a bed which used to be quite shaded until an old elm tree was removed. Now I'm grubbing out barrow loads of vinca and convallaria and mint. The convallaria at least I'm saving bits of, since in bloom lily of the valley is acceptable with green and white variegated hosta under a European beech tree near my driveway, where the soil is too poor and the shade too intense for anything else. The periwinkle, though, is a menace to other perennials.
I was pleased to see that foxglove, delphiniums, white coneflower, and some lupins had survived in a bed I rehabilitated 2 years ago, then ignored last year, though only the lupins had volunteer seedlings coming up. There were also some surviving dianthus, though the seeds were advertised as annuals. I have some seedling annuals to set into that bed, as soon as I get the glad corms into the sunny strip in the middle. I'm addicted to the wildernessy, tall country garden look, so I don't go in for bedding plants in bloom for my annuals. (for some reason, purple or mauve petunias interplanted with orange marigolds seems to be a popular local aesthetic.jfade's psycho I resist the urge to sneak by in the middle of the night and replace those garden strips with almost anything else, but only because of the amount of work involved.)

Thalia

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2014 3:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could you get some bluebells under that beech tree? Beech tree + bluebells = fairy magic, and you can't have too much of that. :) You're definitely behind me where you are; the daffodils are long gone even here in New England, by about a month now.

I've never been any good at starting things from seed but this year I tried some lupine seeds in seed trays outdoors and so far they seem to be doing all right. The pack said to plant them in their permanent spots, but with weeding and cultivating I always dig up seeds I've planted, so figured I'd try that instead. If that works I'll have like 20 or so of the things!

I'm really fond of the little cold-weather violas; they will cross-breed and then self-seed and it's always fun to see what the crosses look like the next year. Can you grow those up there?

My tastes run to formal English bones but with cottage exuberance with little brick Sissinghurst-type paths and symmetry. It's looking pretty good out back, though there are still a couple of quite overgrown sections since last year I just didn't have much energy and didn't get to it. I've still got another section in this third quarter to dig and then another three in the last quarter of it, so wish me luck!

Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

G planted some bluebells the last autumn he was alive, but I don't know where, and I haven't seen any sign of them. I'll have to keep looking.
I was out yesterday and saw that the purple aliums had been joined in bloom by a couple of purple and white lupins, making a nice combination with some white aquilegia "Irish elegance" which have kept reseeding over the years. Very similar to a "Nora Barlow", but all white. The purple and white combo will disappear in the next day or two, totally overwhelmed by the pink oriental poppies which self seed from a couple of "Victoria Louises" I planted over 15 years ago, which love the hot, dry area.
Cool and rainy today, and the very last of the daffs and tulips were gone a couple of days ago, even though I went to a lot of trouble to plant some very late varieties. We had the coldest winter in 37 years, and frost the morning of Victoria Day, which was May 17 this year.
People's gardens are way behind, and there was so much damage from winter storms that many locals aren't doing much more than trying to clear up. My garden helper spent all day yesterday dragging downed tree limbs from areas where the grass hadn't yet been cut. I was hoping he could get it cut today, but the rain has interfered.
I've noticed that the weather forecasts this year tend to be missing the daily highs by has much as 6 degrees C. The internet tells me it's 23C here, but it's barely 18 by 3 different thermometers. Other days. with highs of cloudy 22C predicted, I've found myself sweating in 27C bright sun.

17mars
Owner
Owner

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We had a really warm winter on the West Coast with no snow. It got me inspired to try a vegetable garden again so back in May I dug a 10x10 in the middle of the lawn (only sunny spot) and stuck in a tom and some vegetable marrows. They're going so well I'm going to double the space and try a winter garden this year for the first time. I hope I'm not being too ambitious. This is a shady piece of land filled with wildlife and I haven't managed to successfully grow anything on it except moss and blackberries.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Simblesse Oblige Forum Index -> Off Topic (non-controversial) All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: