Simblesse Oblige Forum Index Simblesse Oblige
Forums for serious Simmers to share knowledge about The Sims 1

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Magic Crystals - new ability (Palm Reading) possible?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Simblesse Oblige Forum Index -> Hacker's Hideout
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Simscilla

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2015 1:29 pm    Post subject: Magic Crystals - new ability (Palm Reading) possible? Reply with quote

hello there,

I like the different options of making a homebusiness, and the Paranormal options are fine. But for some time I keep thinking of Unleashed NPC Lucille who offers palm reading for 20 Simoleons, and I wonder, would it be possible to make the 'Palm Reading' ability from her available for my psychic Sims?

The payment for that little service depending on some skill, like Logik or Charisma, maybe even Creativity? Plus, not every Sim wants to have his palm read, and they will not always be content with their future prospects.

If they learn this new ability from a Crystal, this could grow in the garden, or could be bought, or simply could be found by chance in a bookcase - no fussy eater here. smile If they pick this ability at random, they have chosen their path?

Is there a tutorial available? What do I need to know? Any help is greatly appreciated!
Simscilla

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2015 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Making a new crystal was easy - I cloned the MGCrystal from Expansion Pack 7 FAR, used only one ability and edited it to appear anywhere.

I have thought about importing the Palmreading skill directly from the NPC iff file into the crystal, but the ability seems to be located somewhere else. When I look at EP 7 FAR with SimCat, the charms and spells are listed, but I did not find those you get from the crystals.
The only thing that comes near would be a file called 'Spell_Ability'.
Raeven

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2015 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The palm reading would not be in the MM expansion files, it would be in the UL files (I forget which ones. The NPC or it's global, most probably.)

You can also find the BHAV for palm reading (along with Mdme. Lucille's other skills) in my magic shop cashiers
http://woobsha.com/betterNPC03.html

Simscilla

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2015 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Raeven, I was looking for the file in which the crystals ability is kept, which must be another file than the crystal, and then I wanted to replace the BHAV's with those from palm reading ability. But the one I found looks far more complicated for me to handle!

I did look into your cashier's file...

smile Killing roaches and flies by magic would be another highly useful ability!
Raeven

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2015 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, I see. If the crystals don't use a global (and I can't imagine they do) you may have to hunt down the GUIDs you find mentioned in the BHAVS. There's a GUID list posted in the pinned reference charts thread here that can help with that.

You could also consider starting from scratch, though, rather than using a crystal as a base. It sounds to me like you want to be able to click on an object, add an invisible token to your sim that acts as a control for this skill. The hard part is fine tuning the skill, of course, but putting the token into the Sim's inventory is relatively simple (Function 51 controls that even if the token is not displayed in the inventory). This is, if I understand it correctly (i foolishly never got around to installing it myself so this is sorta guess-y based on the approach I'd have taken) how the Vampire mod works.

The two cashiers each handle the roaches and flies in different ways, by the way. One is suitable for nice sims, the other is more on the mean side. The scullery maid also has an alternative roach disposal. Non magical, of course, but another example of working around the roaches' coding (which automatically has them use the spray can).

Simscilla

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2015 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have played a bit more with the little file. Putting it on the lot stops all action. But at least it doesn't crash! jfade's psycho

From the BHAV Interaction - Learn Ability
Manage Inventory ( 1.x Animate Object in 2.0 ) (Add token of type SKILL with object GUID:308f5936 of count 1.) {flags = 0, 0, 0, 0}

From the BHAV Interaction - Learn Ability TEST
Manage Inventory ( 1.x Animate Object in 2.0 ) (Find token of type SKILL with object GUID:308f5936. Returning count to Temp 0 and index to Temp 2.) {flags = 1, 1, 0, 0}

It seems to me as if the skill is located outsite. I have no idea where to find 'token of type SKILL'.
Simscilla

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2015 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Basically, this abilitity should serve to produce some sort of income laugh

The little crystal was the first idea that came to my mind when wondering about how to do it. I'd be perfectly happy with any solution that offers this ability. All they should be able to do was standing together, exchanging some u-huh's based on the skill level (they train charisma and logic like they were getting paid to do so, so I think they deserve a way to show their talents), and then the reader gets paid (or scolded) for the little service.

Fine tuning of skills will cause something strange to my head... explode
Raeven

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2015 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
All they should be able to do was standing together, exchanging some u-huh's based on the skill level (they train charisma and logic like they were getting paid to do so, so I think they deserve a way to show their talents), and then the reader gets paid (or scolded) for the little service.

It is a very complex thing you are trying to do. That is often the way of it - things seem to be really simple but there's a LOT going on in the background.
But just about anything can be done when you break it into little bite-sized pieces.

Quote:
It seems to me as if the skill is located outsite.

You are correct that the crystals are multiple objects working together. You'll need to identify and clone each piece to create a new skill. You will also need to "introduce" all of the clones to each other by going in to each iff and replacing ALL old GUID references with the new corresponding new clone's GUID. (referred to as GUID swapping).

Quote:
I have no idea where to find 'token of type SKILL'.

The token mentioned is an invisible inventory token, an iff file that acts as a control for that skill. It's GUID is 308f5936. Search the GUID list I mentioned earlier for either 308f5936 or 36 59 8f 30
to find out the file name of the iff that token is in. I believe I remember multiple tokens being in a single iff. That makes studying the object tedious (very) because the coding for ALL tokens will be present, not just the one you are interested in. it means slogging through extra stuff that has nothing to do with your token and identifying which pieces ARE used by your token.

Tokens are iff files that are not objects. They are "controllers" that can be assigned to specific Sims. For example, when your sim purchases roses from Downtown a gift token is added to that Sim (and they show you a thumbnail picture of the roses in your Sim's inventory). Some tokens are hidden and do not show in inventory anywhere. (Diseases, for example). There IS a difference between the different types of tokens but IffPencil does not show us what that s so I was never able to sort that out. I don't know if Peter's got IffSnooper displaying that info (I assume not since there are not a lot of people that work with tokens and it'd be silly to add random features into his program that no one would use)

As with objects, the coding inside of a token can be very simple or can be very complex. What you want to do is complex because you want different things to happen based on different conditions ( different skills, for example). This is something you will have to design and create from scratch because Miss Lucille does not have any coding that bases her predictions on any skill (that I can recall).

You might need to start with a much simpler skill (like using magic to clear the place of roaches and flies) to get a feel for working with tokens.

You also want to do this in a test game. Inventory tokens tend to automatically place themselves on every lot (so they are available when you need them) so when something goes horribly wrong (and it always does when you are teaching yourself stuff) it's throughout the whole game.

If you are not running your game in debug-objects mode definitely do that (while figuring things out). that mode generates a txt report when stuff goes wrong. By and large it'll be total goobledy gook to you but the little bits that are helpful are ENORMOUSLY helpful. For example it'll tell you if your game really froze or if you are stuck in a loop. (The game tries valiantly to recover from errors so sometimes being stuck in a loop can freeze your game for several minutes. The report generated is HUGE. Debug Objects mode also makes rebooting the game much faster (first boot up is still long but they speed up afterward) and you do wind up booting that sucker up over and over. and over.

Simscilla

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2015 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you so much dear Raeven for your words!

I cannot install a test game, I never figured out how virtual machines work. Some installations ago I met the dark side of tokens - the products of a childenabled canningstation made the game crash. Even though I had deleted the object in question, each time my Simmies wanted to make a gift, the game crashed. It did not matter, which clone of the canningstation they were working on, even when using your tomato canning station! Which has always been reliable, and works like a charm. The only cure was the complete reinstallation.

I see. That project is clearly beyond my abilities - so many things are working in the background, so much to think of. Looking for those GUIDs I mentioned before, made me look at Trial & Error's complete list of GUIDs, so I could follow the trail through 3 different objects, leaving me stranded in Expansion Pack 5 NPC_socials. There resides Ms Lucille in all her glory, and this gave me an impression of all the complex things you mention.

The Debug Report is really chinese to me, and I still haven't learned to read it properly. Or maybe, I did not have a reason to understand what is written in there.

That is a real pity! I thought this was a simple idea, a funny little way to use interaction for an income. But I am glad you helped me understand. Thank you very much!!
Raeven

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My pleasure! I always feel there's nothing that sucks the fun out of a hobby more than suddenly (surprisingly) finding yourself in over your head. Always better, I think, to know you are starting something difficult

I recommend writing your idea out in a text file and keeping it. As you tinker with more stuff you'll probably want to revisit it and use bits and pieces in other things. This is especially true f you decide to try tackling the whole thing from another side such as making an object that is a group activity.

There were some 1 tile rug-o-matic rugs that had an interaction menu built into them. One interaction could be for your sim to "start work" and then another can be for visitors to come get their palm read. No tokens, no skills, no income. When you are comfortable with that you can toss in some code that your sim can only "start work" if they have a a magic wand in inventory (which is a simple one) and add the income in at the end. Then refine that so family members don't pay for readings. Step by step building on it, including the skills and the whole design. When all of that is worked out you might not even feel the need to try tokens but if you do then you'll have LOTS of it all worked out already. ( I assumed some of the details from your description and others re suggestions. If nothing else they give you practice at some useful tasks such as remembering to check if someone is a family member or visitor or an NPC. You'd be surprised how often that needs to be done!!)

If you cannot find a rug with an interaction menu built in you can learn to add one to the rug or your choice here
http://workshop.woobsha.com/TheDrawingBoard/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=16

By the way if you are still interested in tokens (even if you wont be working with them right now) and social interactions have a look at the HDSI_ iff files (HDSI = Hot Date Social Interaction). Those are pretty interesting.

Here's a quickie introduction to debug objects mode that you ay have already seen
http://woobsha.com/diy-debugobjectsPC.html
Most of the report is not used by anyone. Personally, I used it for primarily for finding out what line (node) in what BHAV (tree) I needed to look at.

As years went by I came to understand what some of the error messages themselves meant so it also told me what went wrong. But before that it was just to give me a starting point for my trouble shooting.

I didn't say this earlier, somehow but I love your idea. Palm reading would make an EXCELLENT home business. I love it.

Simscilla

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I woke up today, this was the first thing I thought about. Your idea with the little rugs is brilliant!! This could be a way to do it. The idea is now written down in this forum, I cannot think of a better place to keep it safely.

This wish - using palm reading as an income - is as old as your Rowan or your Morganna. On each community lot resides one of your cashiers, making me think of how to get my sims do that, too. Like casting spells because there is a reason - I keep asking myself how any magic Sim can still be willing to wander across the lot carrying a heavy watering can instead of conjuring those handy clouds!

Now I understand - I have to make them do so: if plant needs water, conjure cloud. And when they feel lonely, they always could turn a random townie into their bessie mate, and free-will marriage should be available, too. Not to mention toadifying any annoying visitor. laugh

I'm rambling. I'd better go now to check those useful links...
Andrasta

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Exciting things are going on... yes

Right what Raeven says, I agree from my personal (and quite short term) experience: keep it in mind, Scilla, and more you learn (doing other things), more pieces of knowledge come together, and one day you realize you can do it, and how thumbsup

Simscilla

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

blush well, that is very nice of you to say - all I've managed so far is adding two BHAV's (I've tried the ones from Ms. Lucille) to a half-tile rug and the game did not crash.

But nothing else happened. I've looked into MIssing Sims's Door - PlugIns (there are several of them) and I do not understand. I feel rather stupid, maybe I am not logical enough and I was better off studying card reading.

So, hubby just checked in and needs my attention. Laters!
Raeven

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You'll probably want to be careful about having the magic users using the magic to do all of those things autonomously. While it makes sense for them to use the magic like that there are other factors to consider.

For starters the spells are not a skill the magic user knows - they are a consumable resource. Having them blow through your store of spells in a day would be pretty frustrating. (Imagine them summoning a rain cloud each time a single plant needs watering. Then 15 minutes later the next plant needs watering so another spell cast is consumed)

There's also a question of game balance. This is less important to some people and more important to others. Fair warning; it is VERY important to me so any comments about it will be biased in that direction.

One of the reasons I needed to start hacking things myself was because I found other hackers were a bit heavy handed. When I installed a bunch of neat new stuff in my game ... there wasn't much game left to actually play.

Which isn't to say I don't agree that the magic users shouldn't be using more magic. That definitely needs some attention. It's like the magic using portion of their lives is just some side activity rather than an integral part of their lives. Doesn't really seem quite right, does it?

I'd love to see someone lift the spelling casting practice out of the cashiers and ind ways to make it look like our magic users actually USED magic a bit more. I was always a bit surprised, in fact, to not see a magic mirror show up as a fun or skill object, actually, since that coding is done except for the motive/skill/grade gain.
(I also sorta assumed Morganna's coding it would be made into a "dresser" for magic users. it was on my To Do/I Want list for my wizard, Thales .)

Raeven

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Absolutely don't feel stupid! The rug idea is not much simpler than the original one, it just removes the token from the equation and offers an object for you to focus on. It is difficult for some people to wrap their heads around a non-object object and the rug suggestion simply removed that obstacle (And the worry over what goes wrong when a token has a problem).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Simblesse Oblige Forum Index -> Hacker's Hideout All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7

Jump to: