Simblesse Oblige Forum Index Simblesse Oblige
Forums for serious Simmers to share knowledge about The Sims 1

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Magic Crystals - new ability (Palm Reading) possible?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Simblesse Oblige Forum Index -> Hacker's Hideout
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Simscilla

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2015 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have changed both BHAV's like you suggested. The last line from NPC Main now it reads True, True, so far there had not been an error report!

No longer any silly teleporting around any CherryBlossom's Hotel Tray Controller, no dirty dishes, no insects.

When I have tested her successfully on away lots, I'll send you the file.

Edit: works fine in Oldtown smile works even better in Downtown...
DamonDamore

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2015 2:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I may ask a side question:

So equals? or =? is the same as flag-set in this case? And you can not use greater than or less than for an "at least"?

Typically I use flag-set for individual EPs to filter out EP-specific features rather than enforcing a proper minium gamelevel.

I will also say that once you get the hang of it the design becomes the hard part!

notworthy Raeven has even taught me some things in here.

Raeven

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2015 3:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flag Set? is used to check on a specific Expansion pack.
Code:
Global ( from Simulation ) Game Edition Flag Set? Spellbound

Is a true statement if you have all expansion packs installed, if you have All expansion packs except Vacation Isle, and if you have just Vanilla and Makin' Magic installed. In all three cases MM is installed. The flag indicating it is installed is set (1) as opposed to unset (0)

The Game edition for each example differs, though, because the values of each game edition are added together:

All expansions = 239 (255 if Deluxe was used)
All expansion except Vacation = 231 (247 with Deluxe)
Vanilla with just MM = 128

(Deluxe, which came with some unique bonus objects, was given Flag 5 aka a value of 16. )

So you could use
Global ( from Simulation ) Game Edition Flag Set? Spellbound
Or you could use
Global ( from Simulation ) Game Edition >= 128
To pretty much the same effect but
Global ( from Simulation ) Game Edition >= 8
would not ensure you have Vacation installed while
Global ( from Simulation ) Game Edition Flag Set? Vacation
does.

All of the EP schtuff's credit to PeterG. I did it incorrectly for years (it was just a flook that things happened to all work out until one person had a unique configuration that exposed the problem. Peter saw me struggling to make sense of the issues she was having and explained the difference. As far as I know he's the only one who figured the difference out and spoke up about it.

purplewowies

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2015 4:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Raeven wrote:
The Game edition for each example differs, though, because the values of each game edition are added together:

All expansions = 239 (255 if Deluxe was used)
All expansion except Vacation = 231 (247 with Deluxe)
Vanilla with just MM = 128

(Deluxe, which came with some unique bonus objects, was given Flag 5 aka a value of 16. )

Are there major engine/game differences between Deluxe and the near-equivalent plain expansions+base? (It wouldn't surprise me, though; I recall once long ago finding something that technically belonged in another expansion and it would make sense that the engine knew how to deal with those files. XP) Or is it just because an object might need a different object only included in Deluxe?

Raeven wrote:
PurpleWowies, You totally CAN! But/And you are right. it's deceptively simple. Taken individually each and every piece is super simple. And you'll note I said IS not SEEMS. Totally doable. Yay! The difficulties lies in the fact that you've got about a billion little pieces that you need to fit together. And all billion need to play nice. So projects (for me at least) tend to go along the lines of : Easy, esy , no problem, oh I AM clever, easy, easy, piece of cake, easy, wait. what just happened?

If you want we can start a thread and work through the nanny here after this project. It's sorta a bonus for me to be able to tinker with something I love without getting utterly lost in it LOL

That sounds good... but I need to make sure I still have IffPencil and the object in question (it's been a few years since I worked on her and I've since gone through a few computers, one of which was stolen... it probably wasn't on that, but... best to make sure jfade's psycho even if I basically need to overhaul all of the code that wasn't in the base I used XP). I'm also recovering from oral surgery that I expected to take a lot less out of me than it did... so there's that too.

Such a bad time to get re-interested in hacking! But yet... I can't say no! laugh
Raeven

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2015 5:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe it was given a flag just so Deluxe objects could require the Deluxe installation. I THINK only the first Deluxe (Base + LL was it?) had that and Double deluxe did not. I was never able to test that out to be sure.

But Deluxe was made after Vacation. My impression (I never had it to install for myself) was that it was the Vacation game with many features hidden from the player (but still in there. The Global had all of the additional BHAVs in it that the EPs had added (up to that point). I forget now if the second (long term) relationship showed on the interface. The inventory system did not, as I under stand it, but references to it didn't freak the game out. Some animations that EPs had introduced were available, some where not. The ones that were available were in the ExpansionShared folder, I think.

It was kinda a nightmare trying to finesse things that would work for any/all expansion packs, once Deluxe entered the picture, to be honest.

No hurry on the nanny ;) I was in the same boat (minus oral surgery. OUCH!) I tracked IffPencil down since it disappeared from my computer (along with my sims exe. Frickin' windows) It took me some finagling to get the game running at a relatively decent size (without being stretched out) too. All because I decided to have another crack at tidying the first few layers of woobsha.com That lead me to poking my head in here and getting talking about NPCs and Lost-to-Sims Matilda (a super servo. Hey, she apparently cares for babies! She was a WIP). I made a skins for her and needed to actually see the blessed thing so that lead to the game running.
(She's up at the yahoo group now in case anyone else wants her and I'm going to go ahead and give her a page on the website. She's an As-Is - nothing altered except her bodystring)

And NOW haven't I gone and decided that if I have to test things on with UL pets I may as well add my own puppy to the game. (Not that there's a mesh with a big enough head but I'll make do) It's a sickness! (Oh and I COMPLETELY stopped working on the website. Doofus.)

Simscilla

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2015 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a page on simania about Deluxe.

I don't have Deluxe nor DoubleDeluxe. I can use cc objects when I change the BHAV. But I cannot import a Family that was created with Deluxe EP. I guess even houses crash my game.
Raeven

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2015 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, I did not know that about houses!
DamonDamore

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2015 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's what I know about Deluxe:

It used the most recent edition of the game engine at the time... I believe Vacation and HD don't have significant updates to the backend (I believe that HD, UL SS and then MM are the major backend updates) however the game engine is made to ignore anything it can from an older EP that isn't installed. It can "handle" some things by ignoring them.

I believe Deluxe shipped with all the globals up to Vacation, though.

So will it work? Not exactly.
Will it explode in a big firey ball from space? Probably not.

I think some things were packed in by mistake because they landed in the most recent version of the expansionshared folder. It sort of makes sense from a technical point of view that it was simpler to pack in the whole folder as it was than try and sort through just what was needed.

Simscilla

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2015 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

just letting you know - the maid works fine in Magictown, too smile
purplewowies

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2015 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't easily look anymore (largely because I'm now running the full game XP), though Deluxe was my "base". I seem to recall Hot Date interactions being included but not working (which I didn't know until I turned on debug and they would error each time I entered a lot... plus there were interactions I didn't get until I installed Hot Date itself). There *might* have also been references to downtown and/or vacation island in things like the globals. I remember looking in some file but can't remember which. I think I remember Drew Carey crashing your party also worked in Deluxe, even though I believe he came with House Party? (Could be wrong there...)

I've heard the houses thing before (here, I believe... though incidentally enough those lots will crash installations without Deluxe AND installations with only Deluxe! jfade's psycho ).

Raeven wrote:
No hurry on the nanny ;) I was in the same boat (minus oral surgery. OUCH!) I tracked IffPencil down since it disappeared from my computer (along with my sims exe. Frickin' windows) It took me some finagling to get the game running at a relatively decent size (without being stretched out) too. All because I decided to have another crack at tidying the first few layers of woobsha.com That lead me to poking my head in here and getting talking about NPCs and Lost-to-Sims Matilda (a super servo. Hey, she apparently cares for babies! She was a WIP). I made a skins for her and needed to actually see the blessed thing so that lead to the game running.
(She's up at the yahoo group now in case anyone else wants her and I'm going to go ahead and give her a page on the website. She's an As-Is - nothing altered except her bodystring)

And NOW haven't I gone and decided that if I have to test things on with UL pets I may as well add my own puppy to the game. (Not that there's a mesh with a big enough head but I'll make do) It's a sickness! (Oh and I COMPLETELY stopped working on the website. Doofus.)

The "surgery" wasn't even very intensive (it was snipping and cutting stuff, I only call it surgery because my dentist refused to call it anything else, even when talking to me instead of hygenists), but it's intermittently painful and tiring, which is a problem, since I don't work well on anything when I'm tired.

Turns out IffPencil is in there and working (I mistakenly remember it not working... but I think I accidentally recalled a different computer on which I needed to finagle because Sims wasn't installed...). Nanny is still MIA... why didn't I have the forethought to think she'd be at risk for wandering?! laugh (She's somewhere, even if not on THIS computer...)
Raeven

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2015 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sometimes it winds up being easier starting from scratch anyway. There may be more improved bases available, new discoveries made int he meantime and, of course, you don't wind up having to untangle your old thoughts - you can just start with your new ones.

Nanny stuff isn't something I ever tried. I always tend to stay on the "take the edge off" side of things with an eye toward my Sims doing more things. (With no help it's a strict routine of almost maintaining most needs enough to go to work/school every day and NO time for any actual personality to be incorporated into the game. Going back and playing Vanilla after being used to the woefully unbalanced expansions pack game was a staggering wakeup call. Motives didn't plummet, Sims could get along. Some really got along, other disliked each other. Variety in relationships. That is the downside of having them ship a new expansion pack every 6 months - no time to rebalance the game with the new stuff incorporated in. Wish they'd been allowed to take the time with the final one but THAT was not gonna happen LOL (Actually they did an amazing job on that one considering)
So I always aimed toward helping to rebalance it. Since babies only last 3 days I sorta let them through the house into turmoil. I figure they are The Sims version of SimCity's natural disasters.

As such I'm completely unfamiliar with the problems that crop up when making an NPC care for a baby. I'd be pretty interested to see how it all works, really. But I figured a proper heads up that I may be limited help was in order. laugh

One thing I can contribute to the general notion of babies - the Maxis baby needs rejiggering. even for a natural disaster that thing is a bit of a mess. it is possible that if I find my notes I made when working on Forever Babies (and the default replacement I created for myself) there might be info in there that helps. if nothing else I must have the attributes all listed/labeled and the gist of how a baby works. Always good for a Nanny to know that, right? laugh

Raeven

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2015 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Simscilla and I took the conversation into private messages to hammer out some detailed stuff, do a bit more back and forth and chatter but for anyone who was following this with interest I just wanted to pop back in and let you know it's going great!

Simscilla's NPC is no longer a scullery maid based one. She's being custom built up from the (virtually) empty shell that they provide and is fast growing into a more like a a much livelier Bonehilda (I think. I didn't use her that much. But she was a general housekeeper not just restricted to light cleaning duty, right?) which is really great for magical lots that don't have the "spooky" thing going on. A proper Character in her own right, rather than a generic staff member. thumbsup

DamonDamore

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2015 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahh that's wonderful!

I was thinking of making a nanny... I think I recall the issue with the baby being that the personality is decided by who cares for it but NPCs don't have a personality in the same way normal sims do so having only an NPC nanny care for a child could cause issues.

I actually hand-wrote plans for a nanny that could cook and care for children as well as babies. She would clean only if she failed at finding a valid childcare action three times.

Simscilla

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2015 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am a bit ashamed to admit, but generations of Simbabies have been sung to, played with, and fed by... GnoServo blush he's far more reliable than their parents.

All those Simkids he'd take care of have a lovely personality, come with a matching astrological sign (either Mom's or Dad's), and behave just ... errm ... normal. No issues never happened.
Raeven

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2015 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't recall there being any code in the babies that checked the care giver's personality. But it was some years back and I may simply have missed (or misunderstood) it. My focus was a different aspect of the object. I did mess around a bit with the pupate coding because I planned on v2 of forever baby being one that could eventually grow up when the players felt that it was time and I wanted them to be able to NAME the baby while it was still an object (no joy). I remember there being a bit of randomization in there (disappointing), but it is possible that it was add a random number form 1-3 to this base number so all siblings didn't come out identical. I didn't get that impression though.

I could not find my notes on baby. Must be on the old harddrives in "storage"
I MIGHT have posted some of it here in this forum. If so then any attributes I figured out would be listed. I do remember asking Peter about the name thing here at S.O. That thread could have some useful info (might be more about dialogs and such than babies though, come to think of it.)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Simblesse Oblige Forum Index -> Hacker's Hideout All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7

Jump to: