Simblesse Oblige Forum Index Simblesse Oblige
Forums for serious Simmers to share knowledge about The Sims 1

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

THANKYOU! request completed
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Simblesse Oblige Forum Index -> Skinner's Studio
View previous topic :: View next topic  
zosa

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 7:55 am    Post subject: THANKYOU! request completed Reply with quote

round. to make an eyeball monster like so;

http://tenchibaka.deviantart.com/art/Untoward-543997593

i have the heads and the hands but sticking them together is not my strong suite(it's not like adding a regular prop which i can do)

headhead.zip
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  headhead.zip
 Filesize:  25.01 KB
 Downloaded:  113 Time(s)

Last edited by zosa on Sun Aug 09, 2015 3:07 am; edited 2 times in total
Raeven

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A "what I would do" plan B for you, in case you can't find a real one already done up:

Load up a snowball prop (from vacation's snowball fort) in Body Warp, scale is up, print out a UV map (to see if you can actually draw the eyeball onto it), and name it as a head. The head does not have multiple joints in it so you may be able to get away with just that.

Failing that I would use the grim reaper's head (which is tiny) and attach put my scaled up snowball to as a prop (the way glasses are attached to a head).
You might get a funky thumbnail for him in-game, though. Sometimes that happens but since I'm no skinner I never looked up what the conditions were. Since glasses show on a thumbnail it seems like this should too.
You'll get a funky thumbnail from an overlarge head, as well. You can try adding two copies of the head, one small for thumbnails hidden inside of the large one (assuming the large one is large enough that no bits show in the thumbnail)

zosa

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oops, thankyou darling but i found my head after lurking here for a couple hours, the issue is now that i cannot add custom hands to the head OR any skins x______x;;;

i have followed every bit of advice i found on here as well as tried what tricks i already knew and nadda

i need to find some white gloves or else find someone smart enough to get those darn hands to stick

Raeven

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 2:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could try extracting and renaming the butler's white gloves.
zosa

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 3:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

except i no longer have an extractor. i have janked up the software on this laptop so much that it's starting to corrupt things as i download the right files to make these programs work. it is why simwardrobe and filecop and sim creator and all those other programs i used to have don't get used XD

i am regulated down to the droll role of ignorant masses hahaha, all i can do on here is graphical mods of objects and some reskinning

Raeven

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Recoloring normal hands didn't work out? Happens sometimes - whites and blacks can be hard to get.

Gloves_PersonalButler.zip
 Description:
The 3 BMPs

Download
 Filename:  Gloves_PersonalButler.zip
 Filesize:  11.72 KB
 Downloaded:  120 Time(s)

zosa

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

less that and more 'without knowing how to edit xskin files i don't know what to do manually'

i have hands that are perfect but they don't work anywhere except on a single skin and while i can color that skin(and have) i cannot duplicate it or apply those hands to any other skin and have them stay like i could a stole or a hat

my options are to find a prop that will not handle like hands(and will instead handle like a hand-held prop) and stick it to a few meshes or, and this is the one i am hoping for, find someone who can attach the hands to a set of custom heads that i have already made

thankyou for these gloves though, i will try and put them on a cmx or two and see if they work i will tell you if it does or if i have to keep looking

Raeven

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 1:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should not need to edit the SKN at all (unless I am misunderstanding something)

The BMP and the CMX have to be named to match the outfit.

The SKN can be named anything. Traditionally, it's name matches the CMX because that keeps things neat and tidy, but it is not actually requirement. The proper SKN file name being listed inside of the CMX is a requirement, of course.

So you make a copy of your perfect hands CMX, change it's file name, open it in a txt editor and update it's name inside (leaving the SKN alone) and you make a copy of the BMPs and rename those.

This is assuming that when you say you have the perfect hands they are a different SHAPE than the normal hands. If they are exactly the same shape as normal hands then you just rename the BMPs (file name) to match the outfit.

zosa

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 6:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have complete collection, i have looked inside of countless cmx files, i have fiddled with variations of name editing and the only difference between the files that use hand props and those that do not are the hexadecimal numbers in the xskin files. naming things and changing the cmx are both ineffectual by themselves. there is something else going on

also i tried it out and i could not get the gloves to attach to any skins. i tried naming, i tried editing the cmx, i tried both and i tried on multiple meshes with no affect

i am still only on square two: needing someone to attach the gloves to a head x_________x

i am temped to even ask if someone could just attach the hands to some meshes i have so if nothing else i can have a single set of outfits for just /one/ char, though, considering how dead this place is i doubt it will happen v____v only cto is active and i would rather light my hand on fire than go back there

Raeven

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
i have complete collection, i have looked inside of countless cmx files, i have fiddled with variations of name editing and the only difference between the files that use hand props and those that do not are the hexadecimal numbers in the xskin files

Using Hand props and custom hands is not the same thing.
'Name editing' is for custom hands with an outfit.

Hands (or anything) as props are a few lines added inside of the CMX.
I have not found that anything different needs to be done in the SKN ("xskin") file for something to be used as a basic prop.

Obviously, it is quite difficult to make a more helpful comment without any specifics to point to. I'm not sure if you are familiar with adding props at all, for instance. So I don't know if you are having trouble with the basic concept or if you are beyond that and what you need is a mesher who would be able to help you with attaching hands to a head in the fashion you want. (Your comments tend to blur a few things together. So I have been talking about the simple/basic stuff just in case.)

Quote:
i am still only on square two: needing someone to attach the gloves to a head x_________x

Attaching a hands (as a prop) to a head in the simplest, most basic form wont do what you want. The hand-props would move WITH the head, not the hands.

I used to have some very long hairs that were, of course, attached to thread BUT where also pinned to a spine joint so the top of the hair moved with the head and the bottom lay flat against the back instead of sticking out when a Sim looked down. Someone had figured this out and most sim-meshers do not know how to do it. The person refused to share the information, as understand it, and no one was allowed to alter or distribute the meshes under any circumstances.

THAT seems to be what you are asking about.

Quote:
i am temped to even ask if someone could just attach the hands to some meshes i have so if nothing else i can have a single set of outfits for just /one/ char

You can have a single set of outfits for one character without any changes to any meshes (SKN / "xskin") files. You can have that by renaming BMPS and (if needed) CMXs.
Do you know how to assign gloves to an outfit?
If you do then you must mean something else. If not then a search through the forum would bring a lot of threads up on how to do it but the simple gist is to tack the outfit's name to the back of these files.

If you would prefer to actually attach hands to a mesh then you can find a tutorial for doing it using Milkshape in the Skinning forum. It attaches shoes rather than hands but the principle is the same. It is one of the pinned posts.

You WILL wind up with some clipping at times, however. The reason Sim's hands are not attached to the body is so they can be swapped out with other hands.

The normal position is Open, but there is also a Closed position (a fist) and a pointing position. You would have to choose just one to attach and your sim would never be able to swap positions. When it tried the first would bleed through a little bit. It'd be quick enough that it might not matter. But never closing the hand when it should might. (Complex hacked objects that forget to change hand position always grated on me a little bit.)

This may be terribly short sighted of me, obviously, but i can't see the advantage of doing this over assigning custom hands since, in both cases, the hands will only be used with that one outfit.

zosa

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2015 1:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorry, you are right i am skipping steps XD i have added stationary props before and i know which heads you are talking about, that is correct that i am looking for gloves that also attach to the body so that they move WITH the hands while being coded to go with the head

i have also tried both gloves G and custom hands H and neither have stuck, they both do not work for me when i try to add them via name, via cmx or via both methods combined. i have looked into each file type on several skins that use gloves and hands and the only one that changes is xskin so i am assuming that is where the secret lies

i cannot use milkshape so that is not really an option though i did try to follow that and other tutorials on here XD

clipping is not an issue as long as they look alright. right now my worry is that the only way to have what i want is to only have a single outfit in my crowded lgt skins or remove another entirely(MAdrk is the one with the least amount of skins since i use lgt and med often) which screws stuff up since i still use use that group even if only half as much(lack of heads or i would use it more)

the reason is that this way i can have 8 custom head files instead of +80 skin files. i am a firm believer in changing sim clothes regularly and having outfits match the personality of the sim completely. it is how i got into modding to begin with and why i still do it. it feels the same as a real person only having one outfit to wear, gets old fast and looks unseemly

Raeven

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2015 6:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

zosa wrote:
i have also tried both gloves G and custom hands H and neither have stuck, they both do not work for me when i try to add them via name, via cmx or via both methods combined. i have looked into each file type on several skins that use gloves and hands and the only one that changes is xskin so i am assuming that is where the secret lies

this is the part that confuses me. I assume you are talking about having looked into gloves/hands that are attached to the body, yes? And that isn't working for you? How peculiar!

OH! Maybe it isn't peculiar. I was sure my little robot kidlings had blocky little hands so went to see how that was done and it turns out I used normal hands that are just colored to match their casing. Doofus! Well, that cancels out plenty I said and thought, I guess!

Do you actually HAVE those heads? If so, would you mind checking something for me? Would you pop the SKN open in a text editor and confirm that the third line has a 2. I'd also be really interested to know what joints are listed after that, actually.

I totally understand your reluctance to resort to a prop that'll only go with one outfit. A rather poor work around (until you find a way to get it working properly) might be to add the props in-game using an object.

zosa

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2015 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

my eyeball heads? because they are just normal heads with nothing attached. i am saying that the skn files for outfits with custom hands are different from each other while nothing else seems to be different from outfits without hands attached(they have the same cmx files) and naming hands to match specific outfits does not work(say both of them are named 'white2')
Raeven

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2015 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, sorry, I'd meant the heads with long hair that is tacked to the spine. But don't trouble yourself. I double checked that it could be done with just the CMX and it looks like it can.

Quote:
/ Character File. Copyright 1997, Maxis Inc. adapted by SSoW
version 300
Cqi1FC_sswfeldspar_beryl
HEAD
xskin-Cqi0FC_ssw-HEAD-HEAD
PELVIS
xskin-hflo-L_HAND-HANDFL
PELVIS
xskin-hfro-R_HAND-HANDFR

Added the hands to my little girl. I didn't actually load her into the game, just looked at her in the create a sim window.

It did not SEEM to matter if I put PELVIS of L_HAND\R_HAND down as the joint but perhaps it makes a difference in game play.

The BMP needed to be declared in the hand's SKN ("xskin") file.[/quote]

zosa

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2015 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oooh, well i can still look. i stopped using them about two computers ago since i no longer keep fandom stuff in my game(exepting unintentional stuff where i have never seen/heard of the original of course) but i think i still have one in there though i have not used him in a long while so maybe i am dumb

hm, hm, hhhm.... i have been attaching them to the hands and lower arms but i can totally try the pelvis though i don't actually mod xskins so i would need to know what line needs modding and what it needs to say(or could i just give you the files?)

also, i want to upload some objects and skins, is that allowed? they are made by me so so infringement i just took them off of cto when i left so they don't have a place

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Simblesse Oblige Forum Index -> Skinner's Studio All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: