Simblesse Oblige Forum Index Simblesse Oblige
Forums for serious Simmers to share knowledge about The Sims 1

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

THANKYOU! request completed
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Simblesse Oblige Forum Index -> Skinner's Studio
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Raeven

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2015 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only thing you MIGHT need to do in the 'xskin' file is make sure the hand BMP's file name (without the .bmp) is entered for the hands. That is the second line. This is a blanket rule for props and accessories.
Quote:
xskin-hfro-R_HAND-HANDFR
HFROlgt
R_HAND

Otherwise it is just the CMX.

The main part of the skeleton is the PELVIS (I have always assumed one might also attach to ROOT but there has never seemed to be any reason to experiment with that).

I just tried PELVIS out. I imagine the correct joint would be the L_HAND and the R_HAND, the same joints listed inside of the SKN ('xskin') files.

The only reason I tried PELVIS, actually, was because when looking inside of Servo (the original one) I'd seen he's not a body he's a bunch of body parts held together by the CMX. Each piece was attached to the PELVIS instead of it's own joint. I was curious to see if the hands would be mis-placed if I attached them to the pelvis instead of L_HAND, or if the fact that is says L_HAND inside of the mesh is enough to attach it to the joint properly. It was (the latter)

A while ago I found I needed to change the joint on some wings for a fae NPC and THAT seemed to pay more attention to the joint listed in my CMX than the one listed in the mesh (unlike these hands). So much for establishing a pattern :)

Last edited by Raeven on Thu Aug 06, 2015 2:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
Raeven

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2015 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

zosa wrote:
also, i want to upload some objects and skins, is that allowed? they are made by me so [no] infringement

Unless something changed during my absence
Members DO upload here, yes, in Special & Fancy's ... if you been with us this far forum. I am mangling the name of it but you get the gist.

It doesn't expect to be a source for Downloads (in fact some pretty AMAZING things are hidden in here. Displayed more openly on a website they'd have gotten quite a lot of attention), though, so a sudden rush of heavy traffic could cripple Simblesse Oblige. Since you had them uploaded elsewhere before that may not be a worry but it is something to consider.

If you prefer I can make a webpage for you. Better still I can carve out a space at woobsha.com for you and you could make your own webpage. I'm assuming you don't have the know how or you'd be setting one up rather than asking that.

Raeven

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2015 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Mods, hi1

When you guys have the chance perhaps one of you might shift this over to the Skinning forum?

or perhaps the info needs to be restated there with a more direct subject line for anyone else interested in doing up hands like this.

zosa

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2015 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i am about to sleep so i will check that when i get up

actually uploading to here is so that MORE people join and keep this place from being abandoned. this place is pretty dead X'D i have my own site which could easily be a sim site if i was less lazy and i have a sim tumblr(i removed it from the other site and put my name on the 'do not upload or share' list. some pretty offensive people are on there so i don't want to give them any support and that means not letting them have my creations

i would gladly update the title and first post, though i do agree it needs moving XD this is more of a 'help' thread than a 'have' thread hahaha

DamonDamore

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2015 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bruja is away (I think) and skinning has never been my forte so I'll move it for now. Maybe if someone who is more familiar with skinning can digest we can post the information like that.
zosa

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2015 3:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have checked with them already and they could not help ^^;;

thankyou, i will get on trying to edit the xskin files to see if that works

zosa

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2015 3:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i tried to mod the xskin like you suggested and all it did was remove the head and make the right hand revert to default when an outfit with custom hands attached was removed(that is the left hand was white like it should be but the right used the default color while naked)
Raeven

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2015 3:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did not suggest modifying the "xskin" (unless you need to enter the hand BMP name on the second line of those "xskin" files. Absolutely nothing in the head's mesh ("xskin") file)

What I quoted above is a CMX file.

It lists the head mesh and each hand mesh (xskin files)
The number in red ion the 8th line of my example s the number of how many meshes are listed in this CMX. Here it is agan to save backing up a page

Quote:
/ Character File. Copyright 1997, Maxis Inc. adapted by SSoW
version 300
Cqi1FC_sswfeldspar_beryl
HEAD
xskin-Cqi0FC_ssw-HEAD-HEAD
PELVIS
xskin-hflo-L_HAND-HANDFL
PELVIS
xskin-hfro-R_HAND-HANDFR

or you might want to use

Quote:
version 300
Cqi1FC_sswfeldspar_beryl
HEAD
L_Hand
xskin-hflo-L_HAND-HANDFL
R_HAND
xskin-hfro-R_HAND-HANDFR

The red parts (aside from the number on the 8th line ) is stuff I added in.

• Make sure you do not enter the SKN file extension
  • Your computer might be case sensitive
  • check for a typo in the line listing the head's mesh (10th line in my example)
  • Open your Right hand's mesh (xskin) in a simple text editor (not w rich text editor that might add extra junk in. same goes for CMXes) and make sure the BMP is listed on the second line properly
  • Note there are two 0 (zero) lines between each mesh listed in the CMX, not 3. The file then ends in a 0

zosa

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2015 4:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorry, i read this;

The only thing you MIGHT need to do in the 'xskin' file is make sure the hand BMP's file name (without the .bmp) is entered for the hands. That is the second line. This is a blanket rule for props and accessories.

and assumed that related to the part underneath

i can try attaching to the pelvis but the one below it i have already tried and it did not work

i am not sure how to explain to you though that none of the skins that use custom hands have anything in their cmx files about hands, all of them are like this;

version 300
Cqi1FC_sswfeldspar_beryl
HEAD

same with the skins for the bodies

zosa

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2015 4:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i would also like to mention no custom hands i own come with xskin files, they all use the games' default hand files they are just bmps
Raeven

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2015 5:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

zosa wrote:
sorry, i read this;

and assumed that related to the part underneath

Yes, it was. The part underneath is the first few lines in a "xskin" file. The red part there is a BMP name.

Quote:
i am not sure how to explain to you though that none of the skins that use custom hands have anything in their cmx files about hands,

That explains it just fine but I didn't really need that explained. I already knew/assumed it. As I said in my last post the red part (aside from the number on the 8th line of my example) is stuff i added to the CMX.

The number on the 8th line is red to draw your attention to the fact that it has been changed to a 3 since 3 meshes are now listed.

Quote:
all of them are like this;

version 300
Cqi1FC_sswfeldspar_beryl
HEAD

Yep, and so was mine before I added the hand meshes to the CMX

Quote:
i would also like to mention no custom hands i own come with xskin files, they all use the games' default hand files they are just bmps

That, on the other hand, definitely needed to be stated :)

Only meshes can be attached to the head. The head CMX lists the head mesh + whatever prop meshes. It does not have anything to do with BMPs.

Each prop (hands in this case) has the one texture (bmp) and the UV mapping information (how this texture should be applied to the shape) is built into the mesh (be it head, body, or prop).

In the case, of Maxis hand meshes the game checks for custom hands/gloves based on the outfit's name (using the BMP file name) and if it does not find any uses the default skins. So even if you were to re UV map the head and add white gloves to its texture, the game would not know to look for it.

Raeven

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2015 5:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

a working set You should already have the head mesh and face BMPS installed in the game. They have been included just in case.

The gloves used are the butler's gloves (open hand). That is also already installed in your game. I did not include another copy in this zip since it is in the zip on the first page of this thread.

EDIT: A heads up. I did a little more testing for you and since these hand meshes are exactly the same size as his hand mesh there are times when the hand is shown instead. I found both hands covered the gloves on a community lot (which must draw the sims in in a different order) and that when a phone was used the right hand showed over the glove when it was drawn back in at the end of the sequence.

So these gloves presumably need to be enlarged

custom hand props2.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  16.88 KB
 Viewed:  2628 Time(s)

custom hand props2.jpg

C002MA_baldfat-gloved.zip
 Description:
a working set for Male Adults.
Adapt the files as necessary for your character.
Unisex hands (used by children) have a different shape so a separate set would need to be done for them. I assume the same holds true for females.

Download
 Filename:  C002MA_baldfat-gloved.zip
 Filesize:  60.18 KB
 Downloaded:  64 Time(s)

zosa

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2015 2:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thankyou for all your efforts but something is still wrong x____x i have added your drandpa files unaltered AND my drop files with proper modification but neither work. the white hands still do not show up

i am wondering, at this point would it just be easier for me to find someone who can attach the hands to an outfit? i do not know what i am doing wrong x_____x even when i do not touch a file at all it does not load right

Raeven

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2015 4:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The grandpa head is a maxis head. Try scrolling further along to the second one and see if you get the gloves to show up.

If you upload your head mesh I'll make the change. Then you can compare it to what you did. You might find where it went wrong.

As for an outfit with custom hands, you should be able to do that yourself.

it is literally a matter of naming the hand BMP files to match the body BMP filename

for example
gloves for
B123FAFitdrk_goldenflames.bmp
would be named
HUAOdrk_goldenflames.bmp
HUACdrk_goldenflames.bmp
HUAPdrk_goldenflames.bmp

(I think G would work instead of H as well. Never tried seeing if the game treats them differently.)

nothing else would need to be done the _goldenflame pairs them.

This means no other outfit using the same mesh would use those custom hands.
B123FAFitdrk_redflames.bmp
for instance would need another set of gloves made with the file name ending in _redflames.bmp (even if the grapich is technically the same thing)

and each skin tone gets another set of gloves.

zosa

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2015 5:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i accounted for that and looked through the full thing and even replaced the bmp to white to make it very easy to see and it is not working

i tried that first thing(adding the bmps to skins) it does NOT work. i know it does not work because i tried it with a boa and the boa showed up, i tried it with hands the hands did not show up

i am concerned i am not explaining something right, i am doing what you are suggesting i ought to do and it does not work

drop.zip
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  drop.zip
 Filesize:  6.82 KB
 Downloaded:  72 Time(s)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Simblesse Oblige Forum Index -> Skinner's Studio All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: