Simblesse Oblige Forum Index Simblesse Oblige
Forums for serious Simmers to share knowledge about The Sims 1

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Invisible Flies Or Something Generating Fly Buzzing Noise?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Atuhk

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2015 6:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good luck Xana. Just like to say that I've had to rebuild a problem lot a couple times. blush
DamonDamore

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2015 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oy! I didn't think it might be a custom food! bang

I believe the Maxis cookies have a similar issue to the cake. Can the fruitcake cause flies? If the fruitcake (or chocolate) gets flies when dirty I would bet this is a Maxis bug.

I think most custom fridges generate the new objects in the sim's hand like the Maxis fridge so I'm not sure how custom food could have ended up out of wold... maybe a sim tried to leave holding some cake and the game just left the object out of world instead of removing it?

(Aside: I believe the sims 2 originally had a similar bug with toddlers - if a neighbor left the lot holding a toddler the toddler would be placed out of world but never cleaned up then it would eventually starve and be taken by the social worker... who could never properly reach it out of world... Sims 2 has a lot of logic and design imported from sims 1. The eventual fix was twofold - sims could not leave holding a toddler and any misplaced toddlers were returned to the mailbox of the family should they become misplaced again.)

As of now my method is to find any object which *can* be dirty which are outdoors or out of world and removing them. Even if they aren't currently dirty... because we don't want them to make more flies later. Although I suppose moving them in world for the player to see and take care of could work.

This 'alternate' method would be to filter out the Maxis ambient sound objects and move anything else emitting sound in-world near the mailbox. I wonder if this could actually be more effective in case it isn't food or is some custom food no one thought of.

XANA

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2015 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know how helpful I can be with this, even though I am the one experiencing it, but I'll try to provide some information. blush

I know that this house that has this problem did not have it until I threw a party there and used custom buffet tables (called 'Timed Buffet Table', not all that descriptive but it is in my catalog) to provide food for my guests.

Though, the custom buffet table I used did not have any custom foods attached to it, just the normal Maxis buffet foods.

I had a lot of guests (because my computer can handle it, so I used 'Throw Party' a few times) and I know that when a buffet table is filled that Sims flock to it first as opposed to other food objects.

I believe that one of the sims was too crowded at the time where they finished eating and tried to wash the dish, was blocked and then tried to put it down, and then was blocked again by all of the other people.

It's too coincidental to not be related, at least I think so, because the out-of-world food occurred directly in the void on an edge corner. In fact, the problem sounds appear nearest to the room where I'd had a buffet table at an intersection of two walls and near the top-right edge of the lot.

(Though, that doesn't mean the walls were directly at the edge of the lot, there are exactly two tiles of walking room between the actual edge of the lot and the walls that enclose the room I am talking about.)

I hope I provided at least some direction towards what happened when this problem occurred. blush
DamonDamore

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2015 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I know which buffet table you mean, and it sounds like somehow a plate got put out of world... Or for some reason isn't visible.

You can try this beta version if you like. It should solve your issue although I wouldn't keep it around on the lot longer than you need it. Just buy it from misc > misc, give it a few game minutes then sell it back.

XANA

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2015 6:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey DamonDamore,

I tried the beta version you posted just above me and it did not get rid of the out-of-world stuck object like was thought.
I waited for a few game hours (normal time, not sped-up time) focused on the portion of the gray void where I know the problem resides (though I can only hear it, and not see it) and I continued to hear the flies buzzing the entire time.

I assume that, if the gnome was able to remove the stuck object, the flies would have disappeared - and the noise stopped - by then, but it is not so.
I didn't see any other differences in the house to determine if the gnome was working properly, though my sims did walk slower than they normally did while I had the gnome out on the lot.

I placed the gnome outside the house's interior (and also tried the interior as well) and it didn't make any difference. sad

EDIT: I also got a chance to test out debug_objects mode, and when I loaded the problem house I did not receive any error messages until I placed the beta purge gnome onto the lot. At that point, I did receive an error message popup, which was also saved into the following file.
DamonDamore

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2015 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got that error on some things as well, but there's no harm in allowing them to reset. Not that it would be ideal for something I actually released, of course...

Back to the drawing board.

Raeven

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2015 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I believe the Maxis cookies have a similar issue to the cake.

Forgot all about those. I'll have to remember to add them to my list, thank you.
The mention of the cakes and snacks was just to explain why food is deleted while Sims are using it. (The dirty score is already set up)

Quote:
I think most custom fridges generate the new objects in the sim's hand like the Maxis fridge so I'm not sure how custom food could have ended up out of wold... maybe a sim tried to leave holding some cake and the game just left the object out of world instead of removing it?

They are told to drop something that they have in their hands so I don't think that would be the case.
Food is placed out of world before deleted during disposal, though, so I suppose a hiccup at that moment might cause one to get left behind.
Checking the food's main and load should tell you if it would allow itself to REMAIN out of world.

I for what it's worth I use a call tree (Calculate Meal Quality) to figure out if something is an edible meal. I've always used it with other things but if you are t trying to clear all foods off of the lot that line is quite helpful. (And, it seems, is also used by MM's Clean Dish spell which was a nice if weird surprise.) I forget now why I went with that instead of the find best function Food. Perhaps some foods don't use the food function? At any rate it is safe to use as an identifier because it can return a true without disrupting anything and no other objects in the game have a BHAV labelled that way. (to be honest I never checked the last couple of expansions but I'm taking the Clean Dish spell's usage as tenuous confirmation)

Also ...
I started to mention this a couple of times but didn't want to confuse matters .. I have had sounds get stuck before. Not necessarily flies but sounds that are meant to loop. An glitch happens before the sound is told to turn off and then the line telling the object to stop all sounds never runs and the game continues to play the looping noise. I have no clue if that is the cause. Perhaps in addition to cleaning dirty items that may be generating the flies you might try to muting all objects. I imagine other objects on the lot would be able to recover their sounds after the lot is reloaded. Perhaps some would need to be purchased again.

Quote:
I know that this house that has this problem did not have it until I threw a party there and used custom buffet tables (called 'Timed Buffet Table', not all that descriptive but it is in my catalog) to provide food for my guests.

Try uninstalling custom buffet tables and meals from the game and running the game. A missing objects error would be a good thing in this case.
(some folders to check)
Simlogical did timed items
I (woobsha.com) have a couple of timed items as well but I don't THINK i released any of the buffet tables (just the sideboards without buffet settings).
Cherry Blossom cloned a lot of Simlogical's timed ... gosh what is? Hotel Tray? possibly also buffet tables. Some of those were part of the Sim PiLand events
And your C&C folder might have something.

RE: the problem being in the corner of the lot.. we had the same issue with Scilla's NPC before I instructed her to not bother with the out of word stuff.
It was not because a buffet table was nearby, though it was by the street so pedportals were not too fr off. She was not on the pedportal itself, though she was in the corner and moving around it trying to access whatever she was fixating on. That could just be the nearest point on the lot to "out of world" (as far as the sim can figure out.)

I looked at your debug objects report and scrolled down looking for "food" Not much is listed. There's a few "group meal" objects (no way of telling what their iff file name is from this list) and there's also a couple of items from Ines (the internal name is Ines - Cake and Ines tray) so you can try uninstalling ines' foods.
I noticed you have a the breadbox from Candall and Yersinia so the Ines foods, as does my little Ines' Bakery buffet table so those files might be in your woobsha folder.
Or Simfully since his spice fridge serves her foods
Or, of course, her own

DamonDamore

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2015 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the meal quality was used to try and make the spell work with custom food or non-meal "foods" - I think the MM cakes from the baking oven are more similar to the cake and cookies than meals.

Also I wanted to clear more than just food but now that I think of it... what else makes flies?

zosa

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2015 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

poops make flies, also dead mice. toilets make roving flies though but this does not seem to be that
kat165

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 5:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have had this problem for years, so many years that when it first happened I posted at the original Maxi forum about it as it was still around.
I've never found a solution. And it doesn't seem to happen to a lot of
players, only a few of us.

None of the fly swatter tables work or the no flies hacks.

It gets even worse if your sim uses magic. If you do the spell to bring out that cleaner guy he will get stuck on the buzzing sound in the grey area. Everytime you call him out to clean he's duplicated until you have a bunch of them sparking in and out in that area.

I've thought maybe it was one of my hacked items causing this, in particular a hacked pc of Odd's which will bring a delivery man to your house with spell ingredients & gardening supplies, etc. Each item comes in its own box (looks like the making magic starter kit box). You have to dispose of each box once its emptied or get the cleaner guy to do it. I wondered if this caused problem because I don't remember having this problem until I used that hacked pc.

Now when I play, which is rarely, I keep the sound off cause that buzzing sound drives me nuts. My sim has to live on the property for about 3 days before the fly sound comes. It's always in a corner of the lot, in the grey area.

If your cleaning guy gets stuck (and so do other spells which you can't see) you can use "move_objects on" to get rid of him and you'll find yourself deleting other spells that are stuck there but you can't get rid of the noise. It's maddening.

I do not know if this only happens to sims who use magic as I never play (or played) any non-magical households once I installed the Making Pack pack. Now I'm running Complete Collection and even this new install didn't take care of the problem.

I'm sorry to hear that anyone else is plagued with this. And since you have it too, Blue, and have not been able to get rid of it I'm thinking maybe it can't be done. Which is a bummer.
XANA

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My sim that lives in this house with the problem does use Magic (solely teleportation).

I never bothered to test if the same was true if the Sim didn't have magic, and I have only ever seen in this problem in House02 (and never anywhere else - even if those others also use magic).

This problem did not occur before this year. However, I don't know what I did to make it start occurring in this particular house, and so I don't know of criteria to cause this repeatedly.

For me, it seemed to occur about 15 simulated days after move-in. I also have the no-flies hack (makes flies self-deleting) and it did nothing to fix this.

Yes, none of the hacked remover objects work. I've tried them all (that I could find anyway) and none of them ever touched this thing. Even an invisible object deleter did nothing in response when I tried that.

I did notice that when I brought Wally-O-Wisp to my lot that when he had nothing visible to clean (e.g. dishes) that he would teleport to the right-corner edge of my lot (still talking about House02) and would meander about there, though he didn't seem to complain with thought-bubbles or anything about being blocked.

I still don't know enough about this problem.
Maybe it is a bug in the Makin Magic engine, or maybe it was introduced in Unleashed (where most sound problems originated - e.g. fake burglar music playing)?
kat165

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Xana, if you do the move objects cheat you can check to see what other
little goodies lie in wait for you along with that buzzing sound. You
might find yourself removing many teleport spells. I originally used
this cheat to try to remove the fly sound. It didn't work. I don't
think there are actually any flies there, just the sound.

Mostly I decorate now and enter contests, but the last time I played,
about 2 yrs ago it happened again. It happens even in Magic Town, but
I've never had it happen on an outside lot.

Before installing CC I did a reinstall of the individual expansions
and then went into play and the sound continued, after the 3 days.
The last few times I played I played with the sound off cause that
noise drove me nuts. It was very depressing. I've posted this issue
in every forum I've come across (TSR, Maxi, The Swarm, N99, CTO,
Nat Elements, SO, Lilacs, etc.) and either received very few responses
or none at all. The few offered solutions did not work.

I don't remember if it happened with every lot I worked on & played.
You're lucky that it's only happened on your one lot. I do wonder if
this is a game glitch and not due to any user made objects at all.
I also tried not using the Odd's pc on a lot and the sound still
returned so I really don't know what the cause it or the solution.

I was so surprised/pleased to see your post as almost no one has had
this happen to them. Although I am very sorry that this is happening
to you. I know how frustrating it is.

Do you think maybe it's a corrupted skin? Since it is not happening
on your other lots? I am useless when it comes to dealing with skins
so I very rarely add any new ones to my game.

How long were you playing before this happened?

I think the no flies hack doesn't effect the problem because I'm not
sure that it is actually game created flies that is causing this. I
think it's a sound issue? Or a game confusion issue?

I've even tried creating more flies, by leaving dishes to rot and
pet poop to lie there and then cleaning it up, both with a servo or
the magic cleaner guy or having the sim clean manually and it has no
effect on the fly sound.

Yeah, Wally the Wisp will try to clean it but then he just ends up
getting stuck there.

Another glitch I've experienced is piano music playing out of nowhere,
even if my sim doesn't have a piano on the lot and also the death
sound but no one dies. These have occurred only on occasion and are
not a continuing problem.

The fly sound doesn't seem to interfer with gameplay but the sound
will drive you crazy.

I've had this happen on several lots, not any one in particular or
consistently.

What really puzzles me is that so few players have come across this
issue. Why or what happened that we're the lucky few who are experiencing
it?
Raeven

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kat165 wrote:
It happens even in Magic Town, but
I've never had it happen on an outside lot.

Perhaps that's your solution, Xana. Try re-zoning to a community lot, doing a little something on it, save and the make it residential again. Perhaps that it will delete/reset whatever is making the sound?

Kat165 wrote:
You might find yourself removing many teleport spells.

Oh.My.GOSH please don't tell me those stay behind!! I just released an NPC that uses teleport!! JUST! Like today LOL

Wally'O'Wisp getting stuck obsessed with a corner is not related to the flies sound. It's a common glitch with him, apparently. I only learned about it while working with Simscilla on the new maid. I thought we'd goofed something but she told me no, the Maxis NPCs that is similar has the same issue. So we worked out what was causing it (you are right.. they are trying to cleans stuff that is "Out of World". I think the bajillion dog socials that dforget to delete themselves must count toward that too)) and I instructed our maid to leave out of world stuff alone.

DamonDamore

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think there's some (buggy) circumstances under which the game will not remove a "go here" or "be shooed here" marker so I would imagine that same bug would be rolled into the teleport here marker.

Unless kat is actually thinking of the transportation helper objects used when you travel.

I swear I need to make an "object timeout controller" (instead of hacking each maxis object individually).

kat165

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2016 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be more specific, when I wrote that it even happens in magic town I
should have specified that it happens on the magic town residential
lots. I've never had this issue on any of the community lots. Sorry
if this caused any confusion.

Raeven, thank you for all the great dl's you've been releasing lately.
Your imagination & creativity is really adding a lot of to our game.
Hopefully, your new NCP won't be effected by this fly business which
seems to be sort of a black hole. The spells still work, but any spell
cast seems to get stuck in that grey fly buzz hole. But its only the
command that gets stuck, not the action. The spells still function.
Hope that's understandable. It's hard to explain some of this stuff.
But few people seem to have this fly issue so I don't think it will
interfer with your incredible dl.

That's interesting that Wally the Wisp getting stuck is not part of
this issue. So maybe that means that the other spell commands getting
stuck there too is not directly related either? So maybe that's what
the fly sound problem is, something getting stuck, like whatever causes
Wally to get stuck. I don't know anything about creating or the technical
aspects of the game, but perhaps those who know more might be able to
figure this out. Raeven, maybe there's a solution hidden in this info.

I mostly just decorate now, but I often include a sim on the lot in
case I need someone to light a fireplace or just to add to the scene
(I do a lot of contests). I will often use the move_objects on to
move my sim into the scene & I've come across quite a few look-see/
go there commands that have gotten left behind. Interesting point,
Damon.

I don't know about a teleport done with a transport object - it's been
so long since I've played & I never really made much use of user
made teleport objects - if the command gets stuck, but any teleport
done by the sim with their wand will get stuck if the fly problem is
on their lot.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Simblesse Oblige Forum Index -> General All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: