Simblesse Oblige Forum Index Simblesse Oblige
Forums for serious Simmers to share knowledge about The Sims 1

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Broken graphics for multitile object
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
francot514

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2015 1:08 am    Post subject: Broken graphics for multitile object Reply with quote

Hi i was trying to convert a TSO multitile object, the Roulette, i achieved to load the object in game, but seems graphics get broken and sprite dont draw correctly, can you give me some help, about why this happen and how to fix it?
Raeven

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2015 2:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The subindex may need to be changed, the sprites may need to be flipped/unflipped or you may need to reassign the sprite indexes.
Changing the subindex may effect (break/fix) the routing)

DamonDamore

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2015 2:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks to me like the tiles are rotated clockwise so I would say the tile subindex is probably to blame, I think you have a subindex of 1 where you want a 256 (or 255? 257? I forget which number begins the next row).

Of course it depends what the routing is expecting, for Roulette it probably works just letting them crowd around -- Aside from the Croupier, who probably should have a slot* anyway.

(*I say he should have a slot less as a matter of fact and more a matter that Maxis seems to like to put NPCs into slots, I think as a way of making them stay at their objects. Also it ensures the animations line up. That said changing the routing is not that difficult nor the end of the world.)

Raeven

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2015 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I strongly suggest checking out FLIP in T-mog before messing with the sub index. It is the fastest and easiest thing to check, is almost certainly what happened (though I could not tell you why) and changing the subindex would effect (at very least) the routing, the front facing (which also effects any routing that directs a sims to go in front/behind etc), and the X/Y position of the graphics on each tile (unless the subindex is actually the cause which would be even more curious than the Flip flag being checked/unchecked improperly)
DamonDamore

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2015 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Originally I couldn't work out in my head how the flip flag could make them not fit, but I mocked it up in PS and it looks like it could be that if they both are flipped.

If some rotations work it is probably flip flags. If you try the flip flags and can't make it work right, it's probably the tile subindex.

(You can view the attached image for more details - I made it waaay to big in Photoshop.)

---

Most objects will go 0 -> 1 for the tiles but there are exceptions (it seems that the Maxis team as not content standardizing the default rotations) so if they wanted it "sideways" it would go 0 -> 256 in the NW direction instead of the NE direction - the first tile, 0 is always the most SE tile and then an object may extend straight NE or SW or diagonally NE.

francot514

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2015 1:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You get me confused, can you check file, and tell me if something is wrong for the draw group or multitile data?

Download file, and tell me about it..

Last edited by francot514 on Wed Dec 23, 2015 9:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
Raeven

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2015 4:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you have uploaded the wrong file? This is the one from SimplySimzMadness (and the graphics are all aligned properly)

With your file, open it in Tmog, highlight the graphics for each of the 2 tiles and and click this checkbox (so if they are checked then uncheck them. if they are not check then check them). Then try it in game and see if the routing works properly

DamonDamore

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2015 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the graphics look correct in T-mog but not the game check your BHAVs to see if they're making graphic changes - check all he drawgroups in T-mog as well.

Some objects are coded so that the 'default' drawgroup is used by the catalog but not the game.

Raeven

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2015 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have not encountered any BHAVs that can change the sprites in this particular way. The BHAVs all display DRGP (aka Graphic State) and turn Dynamic Sprites on and off. So the issue would be in a DRGP and that would display incorrectly when one checked in T-mog.

While it is technically possible for the drawgroup that is dedicated to being a thumbnail in buymode to be the first graphic state , I've never come across that in any object. It has always been the last DRGP (otherwise one of the DRGPS that is also used in the course of the game is used). Perhaps this is something more complex objects (vacation forts, magic arena etc) that I have not worked with yet do. (It seems a clumsy approach, though. I found it bothersome enough when making an N-in-1 base coded to checked the "number of graphics" (minus 1) when changing it's graphic, allowing non-hackers to change a 6-in-1 into a 5-in-1 without changing anything in the BHAVs.)

Going one step at a time, however, (to keep further confusion at a minimum) I'd focus on FLIP and see if that doesn't solve the issue nicely.

francot514

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2015 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Raeven wrote:
I think you have uploaded the wrong file? This is the one from SimplySimzMadness (and the graphics are all aligned properly)

With your file, open it in Tmog, highlight the graphics for each of the 2 tiles and and click this checkbox (so if they are checked then uncheck them. if they are not check then check them). Then try it in game and see if the routing works properly

Uh sorry, i uploaded a wrong file i was using that to try to do conversion, but i forget to change the DGRP and SPR. Now is worts, using the object will delete itself, maybe i need to check BHAVs, but right now i dont have how to edit those.

EDIT: Changed attachment to file with correct sprites.
Raeven

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2015 1:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the file that you uploaded you have DRGP 100 assigned to the right side and DRGP 200 assigned to the left (This number was inherited form the base object).

Your DRGPS do not use these numbers. They use 100 and 101.

TO FIX THIS:
Right click on DRGP 101, choose Properties and change it's number to 200.

The base you are using from SimplySimzMadness is a 2 tile slot machine. It is an animated object. Its code expects you to have more graphic states (more DRGPS). According to the OBJDs there should be 25 DRGPs for each tile. I do not know if the coding is trying to use all 25 (I have not examined it)
This is the error you are having when you try to use the table in-game:
It does not delete itself, it is unable to show the graphic.
If you run in debug mode you will get a flag that lets you know. (Pictured below)

Since you plan on changing the BHAVs, it wont matter, of course, but if you really want to fix it then you can copy each of the two DRGPs as many times as the code needs to stop this from happening.

When you copy DRGP 100 you must number it's copies 101, 102, 103, etc
When you copy DRGP 200 you must number it's copies 201, 202, 203, etc

Raeven

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2015 2:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Again, I want to point out that Simply Simz Madness' coding isn't like whatever you plan on using from TSO. From looking at the Drawgroups I can see that the TSO table must have used dynamic sprites for their animations. This Simply Simz Madness gambling machine does not. So the two need different things done in the OBJD for their respective codes to work properly.

The real TSO method (using dynamic sprites), for example, would not need you to make copies of the DRGP.
It will only need 1 "Number of Graphics" listed in each OBJD (the right and left) instead of the 25 they say now.
It will need a "Dynamic sprite base ID #" entered (200 in this case) for OBJD 16808 (only) and will also need the proper number entered into "Number of dynamic sprites" (8 in this case)

(Though I can't see any difference in the wheel, frankly, in any of those sprites! Sorta weird)

None of that applies to the current object because it uses a different type of animation.

DamonDamore

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2015 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many TSO objects have functions that are so different from the 'offline' game often it is simpler to paste them onto a sculpture base then re-create code in a new way that makes sense for sims 1.
Raeven

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2015 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It does seem like it would be a bit simpler with a statue, I agree.
But I can also understand assuming that this other hacker's version of the roulette might match up better and it gives you a way to click on the thing in-game which is always really appealing.

The gambling table is a mini-game in the sims so, in the end he will have to create the guts of his table himself, but, as I understand it, he is using the TSO BHAVs as a model and inspiration for how that will work. Routing (assuming he has the same SLOT), animating sims, adding and removing props and animating the object's sprites can all be modeled after the TSO BHAVs he works on.

DamonDamore

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2015 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But the mini-game probably can NOT be well re-created in the single player sim's experience - the UI features would not be possible anyhow.

I can understand the temptation to use another gambling object but all the despair the graphics will cause is not worth the hurt. You probably don't even need a SLOT - and if you do you can always steal one from another object (though the MM cart sellers don't use slots so it is probably not necessary for even the croupier to have one, assuming you were doing that anyway).

You could actually make a working roulette game pretty easily with all the betting options but ultimately you would more want an object which pays out the bet + payout based on some kind of randomness and raises fun and social (or perhaps lowers them if you lose, depending on personality, size of the best and so on). None of this is terribly difficult to do, since it is almost entirely expressions - mostly with literal values on at least one side.

As for graphics - for sims 1 you would probably cheat and have a few frames of spinning, rather than trying to actually animate it spinning, given all the heartbreak doing that with ceiling fans caused. Or you would have it vanish and there'd be a prop.

I will say that for an animated object having each tile assigned to a 100 is usual practice. The best way to explain this is like a street address in a city. There's a 100's block and a 200's block and a 300's block. Regardless how many houses are on each block by setting aside a range you know you won't run out and it makes it easier to actually use dynamic sprites because you need to advance so many "steps" in the DGRP. It's easier to know you need to go 200 -> 201 -> 202 -> ... rather than trying to have them all over the place.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Simblesse Oblige Forum Index -> General All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: