Simblesse Oblige Forum Index Simblesse Oblige
Forums for serious Simmers to share knowledge about The Sims 1

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Can I Change the Gift .iff skn from R_HAND to BODY?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mary Martha

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2016 11:24 pm    Post subject: Can I Change the Gift .iff skn from R_HAND to BODY? Reply with quote

I want to make a costume shop where Sims will buy costumes to be given to other Sims as gifts. Is there a way to change the gift .iff so that the costume skn overwrites the body for the gift giving process?

I know I don't explain things very well,so hopefully someone can understand me. sad
Raeven

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2016 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You want the gift giver to ... model? the costume before handing it over to the gift getter?
Mary Martha

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2016 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No,not that. When a Sim gives someone a gift,it shows up on the giftee wherever the skn is written (mostly the R_HAND). I have some cape skns that are written for NECK,and I'm fine with that because it doesn't look wrong on the giftee. But when the giftee gets a costume,all it does is add onto the body so it looks like they're wearing two outfits.
Raeven

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2016 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So you still want it on the body but you want them to CHANGE into it instead of wearing it like a prop (in addition to their regular clothing). Got it.

Yes, you can institute an actual wardrobe change as part of the exchange.
Peter9g worked out how to make someone change into custom costumes so you can even change them into your specific outfit even if it is a custom one:
http://simblesseoblige.com/viewtopic.php?t=3012

Someone else who's worked on it more recently could be more immediate help with that (so definitely jump on in if you are reading this!) but in the meantime I'll brush up on what Peter taught us back when we made the costume party door for kids (right here at SO.)
I remember it being surprisingly easy to implement once you know how.

Q: Did you want it explained to you so you could do it, or done for you?

Mary Martha

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2016 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd like to have it explained to me please. Thank you for all your help.
DamonDamore

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2016 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can attach props but attaching a whole skin as a prop probably won't look right or animate well.

In theory you could try putting the sim in a swimsuit then bulking out the costume mesh to cover the sim up bit props only animate on the joint they're attached to.

You could reliably attach a hat to the head join and a hook to the hand joint. It's possible you could bulk out and even attach a peg to the leg joint (so long as it covers the leg and foot it should look OK)

Your other option is to use the costume trunk costumes and have the object change the sim's outfit. You may need to make another object to help keep the outfit changed, though.

Raeven

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2016 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mary Martha wrote:
I'd like to have it explained to me please. Thank you for all your help.

My pleasure :)
Would you email the files to me at raeven@woobsha.com, please? That way I can make screenshots (which always help) that relate to what you are actually working with.
It also allows me to double check that the instructions I am giving actually work. I always feel better about being able to see it work for myself right before writing it out it rather than explaining from memory.

Raeven

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2016 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DamonDamore wrote:
In theory you could try putting the sim in a swimsuit then bulking out the costume mesh to cover the sim up bit props only animate on the joint they're attached to.

Is there an advantage to this over my solution of dressing them in the custom costume?

DamonDamore

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2016 2:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Raeven wrote:
DamonDamore wrote:

Is there an advantage to this over my solution of dressing them in the custom costume?

The advantage would be if you wanted to share the object. I think it would be difficult to ensure that another player has the same custom costume with the same offset ID - although if you or peter know better about how offset IDs are generated this may not be an issue.

Then again it might look ugly as sin and not be suitable anyhow but on a technical level it should work.

Having said that I think there is a stock Maxis pirate costume that could be suitable, anyhow. Do we know if the maxis CT skins have consistent values between games? I think they are but I can't remember any specific information on this.

Raeven

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2016 4:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm pretty sure that Mary plans on providing the costume with the download.

If you read through Peter's explanations (And if my own are still in the moderators' forum from so long ago I believe I tried giving rehashed explanations to there moderators at the time.) You will see the id is not an issue (outside of not using one that someone has already used, same as mesh ids)

Adding the costume as a prop would mean it would stay on even when the Sim changed from swim suit to regular clothing. It would stay on until something specifically took it off. Obviously several things can be worked out to do this, but in my opinion it all winds up being necessarily complicated when compared to a simple wardrobe (costume) change.

DamonDamore

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2016 6:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Raeven wrote:
You will see the id is not an issue (outside of not using one that someone has already used, same as mesh ids)

In my mind I was thinking "OK let's say Bob has a custom costume as ID 11... how can Betty, who downloads the object, resolve an issue if she already has a costume as ID 11?" But then...

I just now realized while typing this why that is a non-issue since the only Maxis object that makes use of costumes is the trunk which does not use any ID after 9 and I suspect other creators followed suit there. I might be a little fuzzy on the number there but the idea's the same - the trunk has a limit coded into it which is smaller than the game engine's limit meaning custom costumes can be added after than and the sim can be forced into them by another object.

The only thing is... it may be desirable to either re-roll and restore the original value in the expected range once the costume is taken off.

In theory two creators custom costumes could conflict, though that's just the roll of the dice with any game.

Raeven

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2016 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DamonDamore wrote:
In my mind I was thinking "OK let's say Bob has a custom costume as ID 11... how can Betty, who downloads the object, resolve an issue if she already has a costume as ID 11?" But then...

She can't, any more than she could if she downloaded a B345FAFit mesh by creator B when she already had a different one using B345FaFit from creator A

Quote:
The only thing is... it may be desirable to either re-roll and restore the original value in the expected range once the costume is taken off.

There is no re-roll or restore or randomness or dynamic generation of id numbers. Again, if my posts (in the moderators forum) are still around from making the Halloween costume change doors in ... Autumn '07, I believe, I am pretty sure I ran over that point a few times with the non-hacker moderators. And Peter's post explain assigning and using the id numbers nicely, really.

Obviously, if Mary prefers a costume trunk costume everything is simplified but, so far, she has not mentioned which (custom or costume trunk) she plans on using.

Mary Martha

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry for the delayed response,I was gone for the weekend. I can't send the stuff to your email because I don't have an email so it wouldn't work. Can I PM it to you from here?
I'm not very tech savvy. I'm lucky I can text. blush
Raeven

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 6:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You certainly can give it a try! The allowed file size here for PM attachments might be a bit small.

Another option is you could join my forum and I could make a private thread for you there. That is what Scilla and I did for her magical full service housekeeper PC, Doroata.
http://workshop.woobsha.com/TheDrawingBoard/

(Obviously if you don't mind posting them publicly you could upload them right here, in this thread, but since it is a gift token it is probably better to not allow everyone to download a work-in-progress version. Tokens can be a bit touchy.

Plus if the monthly bandwidth allowance winds up exceeded it'll put the conversation on hold until the next month begins)

Mary Martha

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2016 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK Raeven,I think it's been emailed to you. I'm not sure because my dad did it because he let me use his email.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Simblesse Oblige Forum Index -> General All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: