Simblesse Oblige Forum Index Simblesse Oblige
Forums for serious Simmers to share knowledge about The Sims 1

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Invisible skin problem

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Simblesse Oblige Forum Index -> Skinner's Studio
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bogies

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2016 6:39 am    Post subject: Invisible skin problem Reply with quote

I would appreciate some help! I have a nightie for a girl (L346fcchdlgt_liumhaantiblue), but when I put it in the game it's invisible. Can anybody tell me what the problem is?

Thanks!
tq03q9i

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2016 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

do you write correct cmx file?
use sim enhance 3D to check you skin problems
Raeven

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2016 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might also check that the BMP itself is the correct color depth. It should be 256 colors (called "indexed" in some programs and "8 bit" in another).
That problem USUALLY results in a white body not an invisible body but I've had it "show up" as invisible on NPCs on occassion

bogies

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2016 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you both!

I'm on a Mac so I don't have sim enhance 3D.

Raeven, what program can I use to check the colors?
Raeven

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2016 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One quickie no-program check is file size. Assuming th height and width of your BMP is the traditional one for other bodies, the file size should be the same (forgetting what it is exactly)

Other than a graphics program should. If it's "RGB" or 16-bit or otherwise thousands of colors or whatever then it needs to be reduced to the 256/indexed/8-bit and resaved.

BUT the CMX is a better bet (much better), I was tossing the color depth in there as a backup option.

CMXes can be opened with a plain text editor. If you copy the contents of your CMX here along with that SKN's file name someone might be able to spot a typo

You may also need to open the SKN itself (also in a plain text editor) and check it's first 2 lines because sometimes the typo is in there.

bogies

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2016 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Raeven!

I looked inside and realized what the problem is - it's supposed to be a nightgown but it's b346fcchd instead of L346fcchd! If I remember correctly, I have to change what's in the cmx and skn. Only the bmp has the "l" - but it's a small letter and isn't it supposed to be a capitol "L"?
Raeven

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2016 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure the caps vs lowercase will matter.

TECHNICALLY you just need to change the CMX's file name (and where it lists it's own name inside of itself) so the 'B' is an 'L'
(but that is assuming L works for children in the first place. The kids pajamas used to work differently than the adults' and i can't remember how that ended up)
You (again, technically) can still allow it to point to a B346fcchd.... SKN file and it would count as PJs.

But traditionally the SKN is also changed just to keep everything nice and tidy and un-confusing.

Changing the skn measn it's file name, where it is listed inside of the CMX, and where it lists itself inside f it self

So there are 2 things to change for new CMX name; 3 for new SKN name

bogies

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2016 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks again Raeven!

It seems children's skins do work the same as adults. I changed the cmx and the skn to" L" inside the files and out and the nightie now works.

I've seen this before and had forgotten about it. Some creators make pjs but don't make the starting letter into an "L" for some reason.
purplewowies

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2016 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What letter do they use? jfade's psycho I have some weird piece of trivia floating in my brain that wants to say there was a different prefix before hot date.
bogies

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2016 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, but nothing unusual. The skin started with a b instead of L.
Raeven

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2016 5:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are right, purplewowies, there was a difference before Hot Date's buyables. For a time the adults had .. oh gosh what was it? pajamas and the kids had "PJs", I think it was? and then some games used "pajamas" for both adults and kids. So there was a vague feeling of juggling things when it came to Pjs :D

Glad your' nightgown's working now, Karen!

bogies

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2016 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know if this skin is a buyable. I just throw them into my skin folder and use mhariLaundryBasket.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Simblesse Oblige Forum Index -> Skinner's Studio All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: