Simblesse Oblige Forum Index Simblesse Oblige
Forums for serious Simmers to share knowledge about The Sims 1

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Can I assign specific music station to DJ Booth and juke box

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mary Martha

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 10:03 pm    Post subject: Can I assign specific music station to DJ Booth and juke box Reply with quote

I'm making a tiki themed lot and I want the DJ Booth to play just the beach music. I ask the DJ to swith to it,but after awhile it goes back to Disco.
I also have a Cowboy themed lot and I want to make the juke box play just Country and/or Contry Dance.
DamonDamore

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 3:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The way the game handles radio stations it could be possible to have an object enforce a radio station. Stand by.
Raeven

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 5:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This might help. It lists the literal values for each station
http://workshop.woobsha.com/TheDrawingBoard/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=213&p=947&hilit=radio#p947

Mary Martha

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not going to be home for about a month,so I can't do anything right now,but I will try it when I get back. Thanks
DamonDamore

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2016 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Raeven wrote:
This might help. It lists the literal values for each station
http://workshop.woobsha.com/TheDrawingBoard/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=213&p=947&hilit=radio#p947

You could hardwire a stereo but I think trying it on the DJ booth would cause issues with the NPC which would mean making a custom DJ-- which is possibly desirable anyhow as you could have him use a cowboy skin for extra theme points, now that I think about it.

No, I must do things the hard way.

Also my idea worked but not as well as I had hoped.

Raeven

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2016 4:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A quick-n-dirty approach might be to modify the constant (BCON) that lists the radios stations and fill all of the lines with the one station you want ("8" for beach). This assumes a local constant is used.

If I remember correctly a cloned DJ booth needs a custom DJ anyway. I seem to remember the Maxis one not working properly but I can't remember how/why that is.

DamonDamore

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2016 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Raeven wrote:

If I remember correctly a cloned DJ booth needs a custom DJ anyway. I seem to remember the Maxis one not working properly but I can't remember how/why that is.

Because all Maxis NPCs identify their objects by GUID and the lot controller spawns the NPCs (not the object) also by checking for the GUID.

You could just change the BOCNs so it always turns up beach in the end. The game wouldn't even know or care until it's too late.

Raeven

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2016 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL Yes I am aware of GUIDs.
I meant that I could not remember why how "not working" displayed itself in game-play.
Quote:
You could just change the BOCNs so ...

Yes. The quick-n-dirty approach.

But, again, a new/custom DJ is still required. Unless, of course, the "how/why" of it's breaking is acceptable to Mary. In which case the Hire DJ can be disabled and no custom NPC is needed.

DamonDamore

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Raeven wrote:
LOL Yes I am aware of GUIDs.
I meant that I could not remember why how "not working" displayed itself in game-play.

Well everyone forgets things sometimes. laugh

The not-working in this case means the game simply will not spawn a DJ most likely. If you do force a DJ NPC on the lot it looks like he's coded to just idle if he can't find his DJ booth.

Actually since no DJ will spawn (and the object does not have special DJ interactions -- it has no idea an NPC DJ even exists!) as long as she's looking to have her own sim or townie sims be the DJ it should work.

Raeven

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sure, but wow I'd be in some kinda serious trouble if I managed to forget GUID swapping after 13 years of Sims hacking, GUID swapping for my own website and others, teaching countless people that GUID swapping is needed (and why) and how it can be done without a 'dreaded' HEX Editor, figuring out the need for and then putting in the grunt-work creating EZ Clone bases (again for both my own site and others'). laugh

I'm afraid I'm not really sure why we are focusing on exactly how the DJ doesn't (or is likely to not) work, though. It was a side comment, after all, to the more important point that a custom NPC would still be needed or the NPC would need to be disabled. But if it is important in some way then the easy way to find out for sure would be to clone the DJ Booth without the DJ and try it out in-game.

Of course, depending on how and where the object is to be used, disabling the interaction and doing without a custom NPC may not be a very good option and a jukebox/radio may be the better choice by far.

All of that may be moot however since Mary said she's making themed lots, not a themed set/object. Perhaps what she actually needs to know is how to disable autonomous station changes in the original objects (making a default replacements for herself). I still think it is a pretty good assumption that she meant cloned objects but am going to climb out of this rabbit hole until that's more certain.

DamonDamore

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2016 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Raeven wrote:
Sure, but wow I'd be in some kinda serious trouble if I managed to forget GUID swapping after 13 years of Sims hacking, GUID swapping for my own website and others, teaching countless people that GUID swapping is needed (and why) and how it can be done without a 'dreaded' HEX Editor, figuring out the need for and then putting in the grunt-work creating EZ Clone bases (again for both my own site and others'). laugh

Hey, I've done worse after probably 10 years... and some of the questions I get on CTO I forget you know what you're doing already. whistle

Anyway I think it started with'would it be a headache to clone' the took a life of it's own and the tl;dr is that because it will fail silentlyand if she does not need the dj (or only plans to use it on home lots anyway) then there is no need to clone the dj and it would be a simpler hack to hardwire a radio station in.

Also someday someone might want to know this. The dreaded "there's a thread on here somewhere..." and all that.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Simblesse Oblige Forum Index -> General All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: