Simblesse Oblige Forum Index Simblesse Oblige
Forums for serious Simmers to share knowledge about The Sims 1

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Making Sim Children and Townies More Independent

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Simblesse Oblige Forum Index -> Hacker's Hideout
View previous topic :: View next topic  
XANA

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2016 8:29 am    Post subject: Making Sim Children and Townies More Independent Reply with quote

Hi everyone! smile

I am trying to figure out a few things about sim children (and townies) and perhaps make them more interactive in my game.

1) Do children ever visit the house on their own? What about as part of the 'Welcome Wagon'? What about from school/work?

My sim families almost never know about any other children and it makes playing with children difficult because they don't know anyone their own age. sad

I wanted to know if there was any way to have child visitors show up just like with adults (as in randomly or a walk-by).
I know there are a few neighbor attractor objects out there and ones that let you bring over anyone you want, but I thought one could hack the game to let more types of visitors come over to the house on their own.

2) Is it possible to hack the sub-neighborhoods (Magic Town, Downtown, etc.) so that sim children/families start to show up instead of just adults?

I was examining the IFFs last weekend and I thought that I figured out the way these controllers spawn new visitors is that they check age and lot number (and person type/ID). I was wondering if there was a way to modify the check to be more inclusive like having other townies/residents show up in other neighborhoods.

Thanks for your help, I appreciate it a lot!
Raeven

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2016 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kids used to come over and visit (even after you'd met them) but one of the expansion packs broke that.

By "other neighborhoods" I am assuming you mean the different lot types (not your sims in other UserData folders). The only townies that have children are the tourist/Vacation Isle families.

You are welcome to clone my visitor generator and tweak so only kids come over in the "can this person visit/" BHAV.
Just have the "neighbor in stack object person age < 18" line return false for false.

You might also want to change the times and the "am i at work' check. I made sims (including kids) not come over while "at work". So it can bring kids early in the morning for a couple of hours and then after school but parents start arriving at 8pm to collect their children.

XANA

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2016 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your help, Raeven!

I'll take a look at your visitor generator this weekend and see what I can do!

As for 'other neighborhoods', yes I meant the sub-neighborhoods like Magic Town, Downtown, Vacation Island, etc.

I know that the Vacation Island families have kids, but they never show up outside their specific location (Vacation Island). I don't even think they can be called over, if I remember right.

I just think it would be neat to have more random sims come over instead of just those part of the main neighborhood.
Like, the Vacation Island families could show up at your home and use the pool, or something like that.

For instance, have some Magic Town visitor characters show up in the main neighborhood or Downtown, or have Superstar Celebrities come to the main neighborhood or Vacation Island. You know, have some more variety to the visitors everywhere.

That's why I wanted to examine the Controllers for the various sub-neighborhoods and see if it were possible to modify them to expand the possible visitors that could come to the location. In that way, have non-player kids in Downtown or Studio Town, etc.
purplewowies

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2016 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do townies (and the other types) still show up on lots if they're turned into children outside the game? jfade's psycho *goes to test*

EDIT: No, no they don't. XP
XANA

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2016 5:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that is because the various controller files (like DTController.iff) are coded to refuse children from being spawned.

I think it might be part of the 'can visit?' BHAV or another similar one - I have not exactly narrowed it down yet. I'm still trying to study the differences between the controllers' Can Visit? BHAV and more permissive ones (from custom content visitor generators).

I think that if one were to modify one or more of the visitor generation BHAVs in the controller IFF, it could actually work (start to spawn children and/or Townies from other sub-neighborhoods like Studio Town).
Raeven

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2016 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gno or Paladinx or Sir Laphalot or someone of that ilk also made a visitor generator long ago. Before Makin' Magic so it might not work now. But it should make for an interesting study. Actually I think they made Sims walk BY your house (like they do before they meet you) rather than stop and ring the doorbell like mine does (mine was made to generate "customers" so walking by was not really the goal.

Basically what you are looking for is to schedule visits to sims in different families (family numbers). That is how you mix and match them

XANA

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2016 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The other visitor generator I have is from Wilf's Sim Stuff (I think it was called that). It has the appearance of five party balloons and is called NeighbourAttractor.iff.

Well, not only do I want to enable other Sim family numbers (like the Townies or the Somebodies/Anybodies) to show up at home, but also away at community lots.

A side benefit I hope to get working is to have children also show up at community lots (other than Old Town). And to come over for visits at home as they used to.

As far as I can tell, the main BHAV to examine is the 'can this person visit?' one. I don't think the actual BHAV generating the characters at community lots cares about the family numbers - and that it is the 'can this person visit?' BHAV that decides who comes over.

Ideally, I'd like to do this without having to buy & place one of the generator objects and just have the game do it on its own.
Raeven

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2016 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Understood. I was suggesting third party versions as objects of study since we isolated the bits of code that look through the neighbors, assess whether they are eligible, and schedule invitations. The Village controls have a lot more to wade through, as I recall. My assumption is that you would want your villagers to arrive via vehicle and (to my knowledge) none of the third party generators arrange that sort of thing and they all (I think) have the residential pedestal portal and/or mailbox GUIDs in them. As such none would be satisfactory (for you) on away lots. (Mine in particular only generates visitors if there are less than 5 on the lot so would never do anything on an away lot.)
XANA

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2016 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have successfully gotten children to show up Downtown!
I have not tested anywhere else, yet, but everything is working just fine in my restaurant.

All that is needed is to change the 'can this person visit?' BHAV and change the 'person age < 18' line from false to true.

Raeven, I'm just fine having the people show up from the sidewalk. I don't think any visitors come via vehicle in TS1 - I think they are just decoration as far as I know.
That line of the BHAV is the only thing stopping children from showing up downtown - of course now they show up with random people. surprise

I don't think that part can be fixed, but at least children can have peers downtown (my own child sim can already visit because I have tweaks to enable that).

EDIT: Also, I might have figured out at least one possible reason why children no longer do house visits on their own anymore. Of course, you are more experienced than me, so I may be completely off-base - but what I have found seems plausible to my own mind... blush

You said that one of the expansion packs broke children performing house visits, right? Well, we don't know exactly which one it was...but was it one of the ones after Unleashed? Just a guess.
In VisitorGenerator.IFF (located in GameData/Global/Objects.far), there is another 'can this person visit?' BHAV. In that BHAV, there is an explicit check for Game Edition Set as Unleashed (lines 7 & 8).

I have Complete Collection, which I don't believe sets the Unleashed edition flag (it might be its own flag or it sets Makin' Magic). The BHAV I mention says that if the Game Edition Is Unleashed then the line is false (that is the default for lines 6 & 7).
If the edition is not Unleashed, then it calls another line also set as false (person gender > 1, which I think is meant to stop NPCs from coming over).

This explicit game check is only called from the line 1 defined as 'person age < 18', and nowhere else. Why would they have not updated this game edition check for further expansion packs?

I set the check to return true for Game Edition Set as Unleashed and, when I next reloaded my game, then children started showing up at my house. surprise

Last edited by XANA on Tue Nov 08, 2016 12:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
Raeven

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2016 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great job!!

( person gender > 1 is UL pets)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Simblesse Oblige Forum Index -> Hacker's Hideout All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: