Simblesse Oblige Forum Index Simblesse Oblige
Forums for serious Simmers to share knowledge about The Sims 1

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Can the default family funds be changed?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Simblesse Oblige Forum Index -> Hacker's Hideout
View previous topic :: View next topic  
XANA

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 7:59 pm    Post subject: Can the default family funds be changed? Reply with quote

Hello everyone,

Is it possible to increase the default family funds to something past $20,000?

Is this value hardcoded in one of the IFF / FAR files somewhere (thereby making it a simple process of increasing a BCON value)?

I'm specifically talking about increasing the family funds before moving them into a house.

I would like to increase the default family funds for all future families.
If that can't be done, then is it possible to modify the family funds of an unhoused family (outside of the game)?

I've looked under some of the files and I haven't found anything relating to the disbursement of funds at all.

Thanks for your help! smile
zosa

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

huh, i was actually thinking about that this morning as well. i am rather interested to know if it can, 20,000 was fine and well for the 90's but the cost of inflation makes it hard to work with such a limited amount without cheating or living in a hovel XD
bogies

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know of any way to do that. I put the family on a cheap empty lot and let Aunt Rosebud give them all the money they need. I save and then move them into the house of their dreams! laugh
XANA

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem with that is if you have a fully occupied neighborhood there are no more houses to move them out to. biggrin

And if you don't, it's hard to get a specific amount with Aunt Rosebud's large gift package.
The game runs quick enough to make keeping track of how much you borrowed difficult.

Besides, I would find it easier to just start out with a default amount of money larger than $20,000 and go from there. Something like $100,000 or even $50,000 would be a great default starting place.

I looked through a majority of the game's Globals and can't find anything about money amounts.

I can't believe the game doesn't expose the money amount (either the defaults or the individual family accounts) to external modification unlike everything ELSE that we can do with IFF hacking. sad

Last edited by XANA on Fri Dec 09, 2016 8:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
zosa

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aunty rosebud gives giftcards not houses XD it's a bummer to move them into a new houe, give them money then move them out then move them into the house i want them in
purplewowies

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2016 2:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I feel like I remember a program that allowed family fund editing (individually, not overall unfortunately)...

Unfortunately, it's probably out on my external drive and I don't recall what it is...
bogies

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2016 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Who mentioned borrowing? laugh The cheat lets you give them as much money as you want - no strings attached. And I never move them into a house - I put them on an empty lot.

You could put them into an empty lot in another hood, give them the money, save, and move them out. Just move the fam file into the hood you want and there you go! yes
XANA

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2016 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, maybe borrowing was not the right word... blush When I meant keeping track of borrowed money, I meant that I don't like to give my sims a crazy amount of money.

I do use the cheat but it's very tedious to do so without using an incorrect terminator (like a colon at the end instead of an exclamation point, for when you are using the !;!;!;! etc. way). So, when you do the 'automatic method', as I like to call it, the game upticks your money much faster!

I like to give it back and have my sims work for the bills, but it's pretty hard to get rid of very large amounts of money at one time. And I often forget how much the house actually costs when fully furnished.

Anyway, I didn't know that you could use a separate neighborhood to place your sims onto a temporarily lot!

I already looked at the family files (.FAM), which appear to be just .IFF files with another extension instead, but even these don't allow you to change the family funds outside of the game.

By now, I've looked through the majority of the game's files and I just could not find anything related to the default money amount for ALL newly-created families.
DamonDamore

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I looked high and low and there is no string or tuning BCON that sets this.
XANA

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I looked in all the potential places and found nothing too. I even looked in the executable and found only one reference to it as part of what I think is a debug cheat or similar.

The only reference I found to $20,000 in the game's code was part of the modifier 'money amt' which states that it sets the sim family's funds to the specified amount. I don't think it works cause I tried it in the cheat box and it said it wasn't a valid cheat (or it needs to be enabled somehow).

If the default family funds aren't in the Globals or house/family files, or the EXE, it's probably out of my hands because it's in like a DLL or something. Meaning the best way to change the funds is to do it in-game.

For that matter, I never figured out where the game stores a sim family's funds either, because the house funds don't seem to be tied to the house or the family file.
purplewowies

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it could be in the fam file, but not in a way we can see/understand (otherwise, where would a fresh install get the saved funds from during an import? and probably some other non-visible/non-editable sort of things like date on lot (I think, since a family I have imported from an old install has a date far ahead of any of my other lots)).

I guess????

...I know very little about how things work. jfade's psycho
bogies

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I put in the ROSEBUD cheat with the ;! and then copy it and paste until the line is very long. Then hit the return button. I usually only have to do it a couple of times and the family ends up with 500,000! laugh
XANA

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2016 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do it the more-automated way - !;!;!;!;!: and so on. The ending colon [:] makes the game think the cheat is invalid but it accepts all the previous valid !;!;!.

Really increases the money amount without having to start the cheat box and copy-paste over & over. smile

I guess that family money amounts just aren't editable with the tools available to us (Iffpencil etc.). I suppose this is a dead end, since the only way to increase the funds is in-game. sad

However, I did learn that you don't actually need to have the family that is going to get more money acquire the money in the same neighborhood that they will be played in. This is because the game lets you import a whole family between neighborhoods no problem.

I actually had no idea that the family funds can follow along like that. That's really neat! biggrin
francot514

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2016 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only possible answer to this question is to use Edith, that is hardoded into executable..
DamonDamore

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

francot514 wrote:
The only possible answer to this question is to use Edith, that is hardoded into executable..

I don't think that would really solve the issue.

The EXE has a lot of cheats that appear to be referenced but appear to lack any meaningful code.

It must be stored in the FAM file somewhere so sims retain their money when they are moved out. Just a question of where...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Simblesse Oblige Forum Index -> Hacker's Hideout All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: